Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 5:46 AM
Default What is this fashion style?
I wish I knew the specific name, if it had any. This dress looks kind of cute.

Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 5:58 AM
So there's no name on the pattern package?

I would call that a jumper dress. The jumper is the outer part that's worn over a blouse or chemise, so it's like overalls but with a skirt instead of legs.

I found this site that sells something similar called jumpers, which are meant to be worn with shirts underneath. http://www.simplygraceful.com/Ladiesjumper.html

Trendier modern jumpers are less substantial and might have string straps or something. I think the pattern you have would be appropriate for an office worker or a teacher (more likely a middle-aged woman than a young woman) from a few decades back, or for someone who dresses modestly for religious reasons today.
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 6:02 AM
Heh. I may have a knack for outdated fashion. I like these dresses too. Can't wait to make them in my game!

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 12:56 PM
oooo Peter Pan collars - haven't seen those since the 1970s!

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 3:32 PM
I would LOVE those in the game. If you make them, upload please?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 3:39 PM
I had a jumper like this in kindergarten! Hahaha, my grandma and I made it by hand! Wow the memories lmao
Beautiful Dinosaur
#7 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 5:02 PM
Those dresses are screaming "Laura Ashley in the 70s/80s!" at me

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Scholar
#8 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
oooo Peter Pan collars - haven't seen those since the 1970s!

HA, you should have seen my school. As far as I know, they still require those as for the uniform. At least for the younger girls, if not the older.

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Mad Poster
#9 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 9:06 PM
70's/80's Prarie Revival. Started with Little House on the Prarie's popularity in America.

THIS is a jumper, not that dress:

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Instructor
#10 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 9:09 PM
Regional difference. In North America we call that knitted shirt a sweater, while in others -- the UK at least? -- it's called a jumper. Whereas in NA a jumper is that overdress thingy.

It's like the crisps/chips problem.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 9:17 PM
Oh, I never knew that! I was looking at these comments in confusion, thinking "what? Am I looking at the wrong thing? That's a dress, not a jumper! Are they talking about the blouse underneath?"
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 9:43 PM
We call that a sarafan dress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarafan
Instructor
#13 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 5:02 AM
I didn't know it was called a sarafan. But PINAFORE. That's the word I was trying to think of and failing to come up with.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 3:34 PM
Jumper - pinafore - those are the terms I'd use. We don't use sweater in the UK. It's the little differences that force us apart! Crisps are entirely different things from chips.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Theorist
#15 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 4:07 PM
Those dresses (especially the 2nd pic with the 3 women) make me think of the Amish or Mennonites.

Resident wet blanket.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 3:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Jumper - pinafore - those are the terms I'd use. We don't use sweater in the UK. It's the little differences that force us apart! Crisps are entirely different things from chips.

I think she meant how Americans call them chips but Brits call them crisps. Meanwhile, Brits have crisps AND chips, which are entirely different things, as your chips are similar to our fries.

Two countries divided by a common language... and a lot of fish.
Theorist
#17 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 7:45 AM
Makes me think exactly of Seventh Day Adventist women. They would totally wear something like that to church on Saturday, minus that blasphemous lipstick and earrings.
Instructor
#18 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 12:00 AM
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#19 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 12:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alijah
Meanwhile, Brits have crisps AND chips, which are entirely different things, as your chips are similar to our fries.

Not similar at all. No no no. You are talking about French Fries and they are ENTIRELY unlike Chips.

Test Subject
#20 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 12:59 PM
They are pretty cute!!