Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 12:57 AM
Default Exotic pets
What exotic pets do you have?

please post!

No exotic dog/cat breeds! Nobody cares about your stupid dog!

I have pet shrimps!
Yes you read that right and I am serious!
Advertisement
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 2:12 AM
I have a huge spider living in the corner of my room He lives there for half a year and has a name B2 (for a bomber) :D

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Scholar
#3 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 2:18 AM
I have an enormous dust bunny named Bruce, that's been living under my bed for about 5 years now. I feed it hair and dead skin cells every time I sweep.
Theorist
#4 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 3:41 AM
I used to have several 'pets' called sea monkeys bought from science center
Alchemist
#5 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hello2u08

No exotic dog/cat breeds! Nobody cares about your stupid dog!

I have pet shrimps!
Yes you read that right and I am serious!

And why would anyone care about your stupid pet shrimps?

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Scholar
#6 Old 21st Jul 2011 at 1:35 AM
I have two younger brothers!
Instructor
#7 Old 21st Jul 2011 at 2:16 AM
I have two younger Sisters.

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Test Subject
#8 Old 21st Jul 2011 at 2:30 AM
I have two little goldfish.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The Creeper
And why would anyone care about your stupid pet shrimps?

Because they are clear (as in you can see trough them and can also see their organs) and actually are unique, unlike dogs which are all the same. Barking, peeing, and eating is all they ever do.
Scholar
#10 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 7:41 PM
Because they are clear (as in you can see trough them and can also see their organs) and actually are unique, unlike dogs which are all the same. Barking, peeing, and eating is all they ever do.

And floating there, eating, and looking pretty until you get bored with them is all shrimps ever do. You can make any pet look bad by simplifying what it is to own a pet. The reason why people like dogs and cats is that they have personalities and you can actually interact with them. When you get home at the end of the day and you just want to collapse on the couch, your cat might get cozy with you.

I don't think there's anything wrong with starting a topic specifically for exotic pets, but I think people dislike the flippancy with which you dismiss the pets they come to love like they're part of the family.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Oaktree
And floating there, eating, and looking pretty until you get bored with them is all shrimps ever do. You can make any pet look bad by simplifying what it is to own a pet. The reason why people like dogs and cats is that they have personalities and you can actually interact with them. When you get home at the end of the day and you just want to collapse on the couch, your cat might get cozy with you.

I don't think there's anything wrong with starting a topic specifically for exotic pets, but I think people dislike the flippancy with which you dismiss the pets they come to love like they're part of the family.

don't get me wrong, I like both cats and dogs. I just did not want to see 50 billion posts with people talking about their dog or cat
BTW the shrims are about an inch and a half long so they have to swim to be able to float, otherwise they just sink to the bottom. They also have little tiny pinchers that they use to eat with. They also fight each other occasionally.

Please be advised that a noticeable taste of blood is not part of any test protocol but is an unintended side effect of the Aperture Science Material Emancipation Grill, which may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Oaktree
...but I think people dislike the flippancy with which you dismiss the pets they come to love like they're part of the family.

I was joking
...nobody carse about your stupid dog

I thought with the smiley people would realise its a joke.
I was angry when I saw the first anti-shrimp comment so the dog bash was in anger.
Are we really that immature about our pets being better than someone elses that have to insult the other person's pet(Im looking at you The Creeper!)? Please don't hate for the anti-dog comment

Please be advised that a noticeable taste of blood is not part of any test protocol but is an unintended side effect of the Aperture Science Material Emancipation Grill, which may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.
Undead Molten Llama
#13 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 10:50 PM
Geez, people, lighten up. Personally, I have a number of stupid dogs. Out of our current pack of 6, three are the dopiest, stupidest animals I've ever owned. Doesn't mean I love 'em less. In fact, I have an affinity for stupid animals...though not for stupid people. Although I do like my genius cats, too....

On the more "exotic" front, we have llamas and alpacas, whole small herds of them. True, they're a source of income, not just pets. We breed/sell llamas as pack animals and also shear/sell their fiber. The alpacas exist solely for their fiber. And for their utter sweet adorableness...but that's beside the point. We also have horses, which some might consider "exotic," though they're pretty much run-of-the-mill where I live, which is ranch country. We also have a flock of about 20 chickens of various exotic breeds, which are kept more as pets than livestock, though we of course get eggs from them. We don't do slaughtering. All our chickens die of either natural causes/old age or because a %#$#ing skunk got into the coop again.

My son has a five-foot-long black-and-white kingsnake, which is sort of exotic. I love her to death. When my son marries and moves out at the end of this year, taking Medusa with him, I'll probably get a baby kingsnake for myself.

My daughter's seriously into bugs. She keeps tons of them. This past spring, she started a beehive, so now we're starting to get fresh honey from it, which is really nice. But her favorite bugs are, believe it or not, exotic cockroaches and she keeps a number of different species of them as pets. But she also has a fondness for tarantulas...which aren't "bugs," but you know what I mean.

My housemate's son is into aquariums. He has a huge saltwater tank, with a small live reef in it. In the reef lives a moray eel named Harold (although we don't know if Harold is a boy or a girl. ) He also has several smaller freshwater aquaria. He has a fondness for cichlids.

And I have my dragonfly nymphs. One of my nymphs matured a couple weeks ago (SQUEE!), so he/she is now out in the world, making more nymphs. *sigh*

Uh...Yeah, we're pretty weird.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
#14 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elexis
I have a huge spider living in the corner of my room He lives there for half a year and has a name B2 (for a bomber) :D

Eek! I'd kill it with my shoe or fire! D:

When it's like the way Icad has Llamas, then I breed unwanted spiders in our starage room.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#15 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 11:13 PM
My little sister has a Mexican black kingsnake, but she's only a little baby at the moment. After iCad's post, I'm weary of how big she may grow. This pet choice was influenced by my older sister, not at home now, who owns a albino corn snake (I say albino because she's white, but I may be wrong?) and two chuckwallas. They love 'em.....
Inventor
#16 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 10:55 PM
Over the decades, I've owned several exotic pets. Currently, I have one that is considered exotic, so exotic I needed a permit to travel with him through another country because his species is listed on the C.I.T.E.S list. He's a Hahn's Macaw. I've owned him since I bought him from his breeder in 1998 when he was 4 months old.
Undead Molten Llama
#17 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eheart
My little sister has a Mexican black kingsnake, but she's only a little baby at the moment. After iCad's post, I'm weary of how big she may grow.

Oh, don't worry. Five feet may sound like a lot, but she's not that big around. Plus she's on the big side for a California king; they're usually around 4 feet long. Medusa's just been very well-fed over the years. Even so, she lives very comfortably in a (well-secured, because she's an escape artist) 30-gallon aquarium...although when she hasn't recently eaten and isn't therefore busy digesting, she's more often than not out of her cage, draped on one of the household members. She's very active, very curious, and very good-natured due to being handled often. She doesn't just "sit there." She loves tangling herself in my hair, which is very long, and I can't wear dangling earrings when handling her because they inevitably end up getting yanked on. (Not intentionally, of course! It's just a side effect of her having a fascination with my head, I guess because it's a good source of heat. )

Quote:
This pet choice was influenced by my older sister, not at home now, who owns a albino corn snake (I say albino because she's white, but I may be wrong?)

Could be either. If its eyes are pink, then it's albino. If they aren't pink, then it's "just" white. White is generally much rarer than albino, actually, at least when it comes to captive snakes, which have been selectively bred for albinism for the "novelty" factor for decades now. Snakes that do have some white on them naturally (namely, California kings ) have also been bred to have MOAR WHITE! Medusa has a nice even balance of black and white, IMO.

Quote:
...and two chuckwallas. They love 'em.....

Lizards are fun. I used to have iguanas. But in general lizards are much more high-maintenance than snakes, due to the fact that they require UV lighting that can be hard to maintain properly. Snakes don't need UV. They also don't need vitamin supplementation, as vegetarian lizards like iguanas need or else they can develop nasty bone deformities. With snakes, just drop in a pre-killed rodent every 10 days or so (Medusa relishes her thawed frozen small rats ), and you're good to go. In any case, if one can get past squeamishness over the fact that they require food of the possibly-cute rodent kind, snakes are much easier pets than lizards.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
#18 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 7:18 PM
Sorry for overreacting, but it's really pissing me off when someone makes such generalizations. I do call my dog stupid, but the way he said it was kinda irritating, even if it is a joke.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Instructor
#19 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 5:36 AM
I have four pet rats, all brothers, which aren't TOO exotic unless you're taking them to the vet (since you need to go to a vet that specializes in exotic pets). I've had them for a year and a half. If I had pictures I would post them, but my camera has died on me.

Oscar is the only dark-colored hooded rat, and the alpha male in the cage. He's what the rat community would call my 'heart rat' because he's my favorite and the one I bonded with the most. He's super outgoing and very high energy for a male. I take him out sometimes when I go walking and he hangs out on my shoulder and freaks out the general populace Unfortunately he's only sweet and kind to me. He bites everyone else who tries to handle him or even sit near him!

Loki is one of my two beige boys (one of 'the twins'). He's very slow and cautious, and a little bit on the stupid side but that's what I love about him. He prefers to stay in his cage, but he likes to come out for quality time when I'm on my computer. He snuggles up behind me on the chair and goes to sleep in the pillows I have there (for back support, it's a horrible chair). He is shy, but he has never bitten a soul. I actually took him with me during my last placement at a preschool and he was a huge hit with the kids. He let them all pet him and they were delighted when he ate seeds for them and then took a nap. They were especially entertained when he pooped down my shirt. B|

Cecil is my sickly rat. He's beige hooded, and the smallest of all of them (he was the runt of the litter). He's got severe mycoplasmosis, so his eyes and nose are always runny with porphorin (it looks like blood, but it's not) and he has a lot of respiratory issues. He snores VERY loud. However he is probably the sweetest of all the boys. He loves everybody and loves to be snuggled and stroked. He's recently developed a large tumor... He won't be much longer for this world, poor thing.

And then there's Tommy. He's big and not very nice. He's tried to bite me a few times, but never gotten away with it. It's murder trying to get him to come out of the cage, he scratches my hands to bits when I try to take him out. I was supposed to have been holding onto him for my aunt to adopt but she changed her mind... so now I have four rats. I don't know if it's just me but he has resisted all bonding attempts on my behalf! I think he just likes being grouchy.

I'm allergic to all of them, it sucks, but the hives only come now if I'm holding them for extended time periods.

Also, Oscar likes to go for rides on the back of my big stupid dog. :P
Scholar
#20 Old 4th Aug 2011 at 2:01 AM
I have two completely adorable ferrets, named Oliver and Lucy. Ollie's a chocolate point (med. brown with mask), and Lucy's a silver mitt (light grey, half mask). Sadly, they're nearing the end of their lives and will only be around for another year or so.

(I'd post pics, but I really need to snap some current ones.)

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Instructor
#21 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 7:24 AM
Aww I love ferrets! I miss mine... They were rescues my dad took in from abusive and neglectful owners, they were the sweetest little pets! Our girl, Sassy (after the cat from homeward bound) sadly died from a heart attack one night when she was around 8. My dad couldn't afford to keep the other one (our boy Al Bino, Al for short) after he lost his job so he had to give him away... luckily we found a great home for him with an older woman who loved ferrets and had a couple of her own already.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 5:27 PM
three of my shrimps are now dead
Sad day

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 6:02 PM
Now 5 Are!
Y U Keep Diein', Shrimps?

Test Subject
#24 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 3:18 AM
A Squirrel came in my house once :D
Inventor
#25 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 3:58 AM
don't get me wrong, I like both cats and dogs. I just did not want to see 50 billion posts with people talking about their dog or cat
BTW the shrims are about an inch and a half long so they have to swim to be able to float, otherwise they just sink to the bottom. They also have little tiny pinchers that they use to eat with. They also fight each other occasionally.

I'd like to see a picture of the shrimp.

Actually, I'd love to see pictures of all the pets mentioned.
Page 1 of 2