Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2020 at 1:16 AM Last edited by JDacapo : 7th Jan 2020 at 8:49 PM. Reason: Eggs are infertile :(
Default Lovebird Eggs!
We have two lovebirds, and the female laid four eggs already. I even saw the two birds doing the nasty in their little plush tent. The first egg was laid by the food dishes, and I don't know if it will hatch (or if the other eggs will) but it's kinda cool that they are trying to start a family. Also, the lovebirds are awesome non-electric paper-shredders that will work even during a power outage so YAY! Might upload a pic of Mama with eggs sometime.

EDIT: Unfortunately, all the eggs are infertile, and one of them broke. We removed the tent and put in a better nest box, and the girl birdie loves it!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2020 at 7:43 PM
Question: Out of my curiosity, are you the type who breeds birds for fun and profit?

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2020 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Question: Out of my curiosity, are you the type who breeds birds for fun and profit?

Probably not for profit. There isn't much profit in selling pets if you care about their health and well-being - which is more important. And my mom loves birds a LOT so we are going to have a BIG aviary room. But yes, we will sell a few birds on facebook. Gonna miss them though
Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th Jan 2020 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Probably not for profit. There isn't much profit in selling pets if you care about their health and well-being - which is more important. And my mom loves birds a LOT so we are going to have a BIG aviary room. But yes, we will sell a few birds on facebook. Gonna miss them though

Well, I was close with a man who bred koi for fun and profit and if you haven't heard, koi usually grow to the size of their surrounding. The larger the container\pond, the larger they grow.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jan 2020 at 8:01 PM
Well, I was close with a man who bred koi for fun and profit and if you haven't heard, koi usually grow to the size of their surrounding. The larger the container\pond, the larger they grow.

Oh I've known about that and it's a shame people keep koi in those tiny little fishbowls when they need tanks with plenty of places for exploring and hiding. Koi, or 'nishikigoi' to put it more accurately, are very smart as well and are very trainable.

Hookbills are very intelligent as well, and require bigger cages than a lot of people realize. They also require foods other than seeds - like pellets, fruits, and vegetables. There are lots of lists of foods that are good for hookbills (parrots, keets, cockatiels, cockatoos) and foods that are poisonous for them. For our budgies and lovebirds, we feed them vegetables and some pieces of fruit along with their seeds, and we also feed them popcorn, which they love to play with and eat. They also need lots of toys and other things to throw around and chew up. And if you don't want them to start breeding, then avoid giving them dark enclosures in their cages - like boxes with holes in them. Dark enclosed areas can induce breeding behaviour.

Also, if you breed birds, you have to really love them and care about their well-being. Deliberately breeding them back-to-back too many times is dangerous, from what I read. Had to read about how to STOP the birds from breeding (which I should have read earlier in the first place) because too much back-to-back breeding can lead to things like egg-binding. I also totally need to save up in case one of the birds DOES get egg-bound so she can get proper treatment.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Jan 2020 at 8:29 PM
New Babies!!!!!!!!

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Jan 2020 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
New Babies!!!!!!!!

Hopefully... because lovebirds are very pretty! If we get any babies, I want to keep at least one in my room. I miss having a birdie in my room.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Jan 2020 at 4:57 AM
Hopefully... because lovebirds are very pretty! If we get any babies, I want to keep at least one in my room. I miss having a birdie in my room.

I'm not much for birds. But there's pet people and they come in all shades. I'm more of a cat person.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Jan 2020 at 9:58 AM
I'm not much for birds. But there's pet people and they come in all shades. I'm more of a cat person.

I understand. My sis isn't much of a bird-person either - she likes dogs and cats more. My mom and I, however, are both bird-people. Used to have a cockatiel, and I hope we get to have cockatiels again sometime because they are such sweeties!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th Jan 2020 at 10:59 AM
I understand. My sis isn't much of a bird-person either - she likes dogs and cats more. My mom and I, however, are both bird-people. Used to have a cockatiel, and I hope we get to have cockatiels again sometime because they are such sweeties!

I saw Oscar the Indian Ringneck Parrot play "Peek-a-boo" with a cat on the other side of a glass door.

I would have other animals, but my cat would eat the fish, the birds and small mammals.

When I said "for fun and profit", I was wondering if you enjoy raising baby birds into lovely specimens that geneticists would go crazy tracing backwards through the family tree. I could tell you are skilled enough to tell which are boys and which are girls and the patterns on the plumage.

Me being fascinated by genetics is one of those things I relish. I remember the story of Gregor Mendel who bred pea plants in terms of experimenting with dominant and recessive genes.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Jan 2020 at 7:49 PM
I saw Oscar the Indian Ringneck Parrot play "Peek-a-boo" with a cat on the other side of a glass door.

I would have other animals, but my cat would eat the fish, the birds and small mammals.

When I said "for fun and profit", I was wondering if you enjoy raising baby birds into lovely specimens that geneticists would go crazy tracing backwards through the family tree. I could tell you are skilled enough to tell which are boys and which are girls and the patterns on the plumage.

Me being fascinated by genetics is one of those things I relish. I remember the story of Gregor Mendel who bred pea plants in terms of experimenting with dominant and recessive genes.

Oh ok! When I saw the 'for fun and profit' part I thought you meant mills. There's kind of a bad attitude toward anyone who breeds pets these days since there are a lot of people who will buy pets and not take care of them, and then either dump them somewhere or put them in the animal shelter to be either claimed by a family or destroyed. There's also a video where a boy found a cage with a lovebird that had been dropped off in a parking lot with a paper sign on it that read "Free | Don't Want" and it had no water, some wilted cabbage, and beside the cage was a dead lovebird in a ziplock. You have to make sure you can at least meet the pet's basic needs of food, water, space, mental stimulation, and social.

I do enjoy raising lovely specimens and would love to breed some pure albinos and lutinos, and perhaps some whiteface blue mutations of peachface lovebirds. I have been interested in genetics since I was little, and was sad that I couldn't breed the beautiful kittens we rescued from an open pool, but I do understand why we had to fix them - one cat might need just a little food and one litter box, but lots of cats would cost a fortune in food and litter... and of course scratching posts and toys... very quickly. It all adds up.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 6:20 AM
I had an outside aviary with 40 pairs of parakeets, in southern California, where it doesn't freeze. Should not have started with so many, didn't know what I was doing. Some guy gave them to my husband, and I bet they were from a "bird mill". Had a love bird as a pet, she laid eggs all the time, all by herself, the silly thing! Then got serious with Lady Gouldians, difficult to raise, but breeding for different colors was so fun. Most were loose in a big room, but I had breeding pairs in 6 foot long hanging cages ...why in the world are there only tall, thin cages? The best set up lets them fly around a central "tree"; instead of hopping from perch to perch. And these are just finches, not your bigger, smarter parrots

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Jan 2020 at 6:57 AM
@grammapat Good LORD! Eighty keets? Wow... that must have been a lot of work! They might have been from a breeding colony. Some people breed their birds in colonies - aviaries full of nests. As for egg-layers, I had a cockatiel when I was in middle-school, and she laid seven eggs in three weeks once. None of them were fertile because she didn't have a mate, but it was interesting to have a pet bird that would lay eggs. Did your lovebird attack you while she was laying?

Also, I am thinking of possibly breeding red canaries. Not a whole bunch at a time, but a few - not more than one can handle. Red canaries are apparently very special.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 16th Jan 2020 at 1:36 AM
My love bird was just sweet, but I thought she was lonely. The most fun birds I had were Zebra finches; happy twitter birds, great parents...I got overstocked really quick! Red canaries? never even had YELLOW canaries! Would have liked to have ... or so many types of parrots, never could afford them, and now that I have the $ I don't have the years left.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Jan 2020 at 9:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
My love bird was just sweet, but I thought she was lonely. The most fun birds I had were Zebra finches; happy twitter birds, great parents...I got overstocked really quick! Red canaries? never even had YELLOW canaries! Would have liked to have ... or so many types of parrots, never could afford them, and now that I have the $ I don't have the years left.

Stick with budgies or cockatiels... or if you like parrots, get lovebirds or maybe some mini-macaws. Yes, there are macaws that are small enough to perch on your finger like budgies or cockatiels. And they are SUPER CUTE! Look them up sometime. And while they are small, they are macaws - and if you don't give them attention, they may have something to say about it.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 16th Jan 2020 at 10:48 AM
@grammapat Good LORD! Eighty keets? Wow... that must have been a lot of work! They might have been from a breeding colony. Some people breed their birds in colonies - aviaries full of nests. As for egg-layers, I had a cockatiel when I was in middle-school, and she laid seven eggs in three weeks once. None of them were fertile because she didn't have a mate, but it was interesting to have a pet bird that would lay eggs. Did your lovebird attack you while she was laying?

Also, I am thinking of possibly breeding red canaries. Not a whole bunch at a time, but a few - not more than one can handle. Red canaries are apparently very special.

Have they ever found a way to make them breed true? I was reading about them a few months ago (oddly enough) and it said the red color comes from the food they eat. You can make them a lot of different colors. But, I know for a long time a true red canary has been the white whale (to shove an awkward metaphor in there) for canary breeders.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Jan 2020 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
Have they ever found a way to make them breed true? I was reading about them a few months ago (oddly enough) and it said the red color comes from the food they eat. You can make them a lot of different colors. But, I know for a long time a true red canary has been the white whale (to shove an awkward metaphor in there) for canary breeders.

Weird. I've been to the Bird Shop though and saw quite a few red canaries. They were beautiful!