Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2020 at 5:35 PM
Default Wine Making
I like making wine from fruit juice and sugar, and recently I got some white grape juice to see if it would ferment. Took awhile to start due to the preservatives, but I aerated it and now it's getting to be very alcoholic. I'm also thinking of making my own beer and possibly even sprouting and dehydrating barley grains. It would be interesting.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Feb 2020 at 8:21 PM Last edited by Kasey00 : 28th Feb 2020 at 8:02 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
I like making wine from fruit juice and sugar chat avenue, and recently I got some white grape juice to see if it would ferment. Took awhile to start due to the preservatives, but I aerated it and now it's getting to be very alcoholic. I'm also thinking of making my own beer and possibly even sprouting and dehydrating barley grains. It would be interesting.

If you are lucky enough to have a winemaker's supplier pcloud nearby, that's where to find your wine yeast. Don't be intimidated by the expert salesperson—one sachet of general-purpose wine yeast is all you need. If they offer you Campden tablets, vitamin B6, a hydrometer, a thermometer, a fermentation trap and a snake of plastic tubing, just smile sweetly and say 'no'.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Feb 2020 at 9:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kasey00
If you are lucky enough to have a winemaker's supplier nearby, that's where to find your wine yeast. Don't be intimidated by the expert salesperson—one sachet of general-purpose wine yeast is all you need. If they offer you Campden tablets, vitamin B6, a hydrometer, a thermometer, a fermentation trap and a snake of plastic tubing, just smile sweetly and say 'no'.

Thanks! Ordered some cuvee yeast recently and it is awesome!
#4 Old 28th Feb 2020 at 6:52 AM
Oh, I LOVE wine! There's one particular brand I love called Apothic Red, but I do think Cloudveil is good too. The sweet wines get my attention, but I'd love to taste yours when I can!

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 7:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Graveyard Snowflake
Oh, I LOVE wine! There's one particular brand I love called Apothic Red, but I do think Cloudveil is good too. The sweet wines get my attention, but I'd love to taste yours when I can!

Aww thanks... but I can't really sell my wine. I just make it for fun!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 6:19 AM
I have a couple bottles of wine from grapes from my yard that are bottled and I'm hoping to see clear a bit more, but TBH I'm not tremendously optimistic that it'll yield decent wine. Oh well, first try.

That being said, two years ago the cider apple tree in my backyard (and every other apple tree around town) went CRAZY with apples because we didn't have any of our usual late-spring freezes, and so I had literal barrels of cider apples sitting around my house, and made many gallons of hard cider from them, and even though that was a first try too, it came out very well (although the few bottles I have left have lost most of their carbonation now ) So, cider-making might be another interesting avenue to pursue, especially if you have easy access to LOTS of apples like I did!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 10:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
I have a couple bottles of wine from grapes from my yard that are bottled and I'm hoping to see clear a bit more, but TBH I'm not tremendously optimistic that it'll yield decent wine. Oh well, first try.

That being said, two years ago the cider apple tree in my backyard (and every other apple tree around town) went CRAZY with apples because we didn't have any of our usual late-spring freezes, and so I had literal barrels of cider apples sitting around my house, and made many gallons of hard cider from them, and even though that was a first try too, it came out very well (although the few bottles I have left have lost most of their carbonation now ) So, cider-making might be another interesting avenue to pursue, especially if you have easy access to LOTS of apples like I did!

That sounds awesome! I will hafta make some more of this lovely wine and cider soon. Been working on eBay and making yummy rum cake as of late, and I might make a lemon rum cake sometime soon if and when I have the house to myself again.