Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 9:58 PM Last edited by Darby : 30th Mar 2014 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Needed a better title. Again. :)
Default Will this desktop do for Sims 2?
Hey all!

Before I pull the trigger on the purchase of a new desktop, I'd like a few knowledgeable eyeballs to check out the one I'm looking at, which is this one:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...87101&CatId=332

Is there anything there anyone can see in the hardware/specs that Sims 2 might have trouble with? The OS will be Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 12:43 PM
That will do exceedingly well for TS2. If your budget is a bit tight, you could easily downgrade the CPU and GPU and still get great performance in Sims 2, though I suspect from the parts you've chosen that your budget is not tight . The CPU is very nice indeed, and you won't be using its full abilities if TS2 is all you're doing - it'd be good for some other games, including TS3, or video rendering, though.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 3:16 PM Last edited by Darby : 30th Mar 2014 at 3:35 PM.
Nope, budget is not particularly tight. I expected to pay more, in fact. My current computer cost quite a bit more and is not too far off from the specs of this one (weaker processor and graphics), but that was over three years ago, so I guess that explains it. Gotta love how the price of electronics drops, when you're not looking for cutting-edge. (Hubby: But this only has a 6-core processor and 8GB of memory. Mine has 8 cores 16GB of RAM. Me: )

My concern was definitely not that the specs aren't good enough, but that they'd be too good. Overbuilt is fine by me, as long as it's not so overbuilt as to be incompatible with Sims 2.

Anyway, I ramble. Thank you, Nysha! You gave me the hoped-for response. Off to make the purchase! :D
Scholar
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 6:35 AM
Ugh! I hate that I can't view tiger direct links from outside the US /;(
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 6:56 PM
Can't you? I'm in the UK and I could load it fine. :/

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#6 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 8:16 PM
Nope, I get:

"Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?" on this server.
Reference #18.6bc93451.1396466184.22be587d"