Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 3:37 PM
Default TSR Workshop released
Hi,

Has anyone tried the new released TSR worksop?
http://www.thesimsresource.com/workshop/

It looks like a new kind of Body Shop ....
please let me know.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 4:05 PM
I tried it. It works fine for me, I made some new clothing meshes and new color options.

Though, some stuff is missing as it's still in beta stage. (like bump maps, recolor option for custom meshes etc.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 4:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by *Norbi*
I tried it. It works fine for me, I made some new clothing meshes and new color options.

Though, some stuff is missing as it's still in beta stage. (like bump maps, recolor option for custom meshes etc.)

Thanks Norbi for your answer - I know it is in Beta stage but is it complicated to work with, is it worth using?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 4:54 PM
Personally, I think that the TSR tool only has 2 things that make it "better" than the CTU tool - the way you find what you want to clone/duplicate in the first place, and the 3d preview. Everything else just feels more clunky and not as easy to use.... but then, I'm probably a bit biased.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 5:35 PM Last edited by sosliliom : 27th Jul 2009 at 5:07 PM.
The first tutorial for the Workshop is HERE

+ Workshop-tutorial for a new mesh HERE

Happy Simming to everybody!

free custom contet for The Sims 2 and for The Sims 3

Field Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Personally, I think that the TSR tool only has 2 things that make it "better" than the CTU tool - the way you find what you want to clone/duplicate in the first place, and the 3d preview. Everything else just feels more clunky and not as easy to use.... but then, I'm probably a bit biased.

Yeah, You are right
Thank You so much for Your works! :lovestruc
(Lili)

free custom contet for The Sims 2 and for The Sims 3

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 6:14 PM
While i agree with delphy that the CTU tool is better, I do like how easy it is to edit and make new meshes. I myself haven't been able to do so, but I've seen many people in various forums making meshes and i assume its a easier process then the way we have now.

i just don't know about the program though, i feel like they might have some crazy "fine print" in the tool, saying they own all the stuff that's made with it!

Andrew Shields My personal portfolio

Andrew Shields Facebook Page <3
Test Subject
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy

But the 3D preview isn't updating to show you your creation (or I did something wrong).
And it's harder to use : where are you suppose to clic ? Just guess !
=> if you know the CTU you can more or less use it easily but hu ! :/
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:19 PM
Just read the EULA that you agree to when you install it. I didn't see any fine print, but I also don't like the wording. At least how *I* interpret what they are saying about ownership. I don't like it since it wants to connect to TSR, I had to block it via my firewall.

Plus it doesn't do objects so it holds no interest to me. I am Bodyshop challenged.
Test Subject
#10 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:30 PM
I wouldn't use the tool to create clothing recolors and stencils, but it has an option for non-default meshes.

Are there more tools which support them? I saw some non-default meshes before the TSR tool was released but I don't know how they were made.

(Btw Forwardmotionis, I tried to answer your PM but it says your inbox is full)
Scholar
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:35 PM
My biased, gut reaction to the TSR software is that using it would make me feel dirty--like someone came into my room and rubbed their balls all over my stuff.

As far as my stuff goes, there's negligible difference in quality. It just feels sullied somehow.

That said, the 3D viewer looks neat. Not quite nice enough for me to accept the metaphorical teabagging that goes with it though. I'd rather be patient for Delphy & the community's next updates.

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:17 PM
Ok I'm a re-newbie to the sims online community scene thing, someone take me aside and explain TSR related dirtiness (as colourfully explained by robokitty! ) I used to be registered there but cba now I'm re-registered here (I likes it here.)

Also, I gather the "paysites must die" place is a repository of gorgeous things the community couldn't live without that used to be on paysites but that EA would have torched if they weren't closed?

Also linky to CTU tool? sounds interesting!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#13 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:21 PM
Making new non-default replacement meshes is next on my list of things to do.

Forum Resident
#14 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:06 PM
There are two things I heavily dislike about that TSR-Tool: First that it phones home and second that they did a big announcement about going "open source" and now the source is nowhere to be seen. With open source they probably meant that they incorporated other peoples open source into their closed source? I really do not like that attitude.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:09 PM
I feel nervous about TSR's stuff so I probably will not install it, but instead wait for Delphy to add nifty things. <3

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Field Researcher
#16 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:58 PM
Just tested it and it look pretty nice, one fun thing was mesh edit, tried it on a skirt and it worked well, exported to obj and edited it in an old version of carrara I have and imported it back and it worked well in the game,
More complex outfits did not work or created strange object files. Will test more,

Also found a useless pretty strange feature, set object type, you could set a top as bottom or smarter a whole outfit to top. Thought this might be useful to convert a short dress to a top so I set the French maid uniform to a top, problem was that the skirt used the bottom outfit texture, looked stupid with demine shorts.
Might be useful if I removed the skirt or made it so small it was hidden in the body.

Downside, export only in sims3pack.
Yes TSR are evil but no more problem using their free stuff than stealing from evil npc in games even if I prefer to loot their dead bodies

Next area now should be editing modified objects. First the store content, then user created.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 10:00 PM
Thank you all for your answers, especially to you Delphy - I appreciate your sincerity and admire the great work you've done and continue doing day by day here at MTS2/3.

You are not wrong Piti Ange2, I couldn't view the "finished product" either, or did I miss something too?.

I'll be waiting for your next CTU news Delphy.

By the way, I still wonder about EA who didn't deliver a tool like Body shop with TS3 - at first, readind the TSR daily announcements about their Workshop, I was even suspicious of collaboration between them. Who knows?
Anyway, let's hope for wonderful creations in the future and happy simming to everybody.
:lovestruc
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#18 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 12:24 AM
xanathon: It's my understanding that TSR do intend to release the source, at some point in the future

Mausi: As far as I know, there has been zero collaboration between TSR and EA. All the work has been done by TSRs programmers, but obviously they have an actual team of people who are paid to work on it, whereas I'm one person and have a lot of other duties too... (CTU is pretty much 99% my own work, if you discount the DBPF libraries)

Eminence Grise
#19 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delancey2
Also, I gather the "paysites must die" place is a repository of gorgeous things the community couldn't live without that used to be on paysites but that EA would have torched if they weren't closed?

Also linky to CTU tool? sounds interesting!

Linky: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=348082 (top of this forum )

Paysites Must Die is a place where people who are opposed to the whole concept of paysites upload their content for free in an attempt to undermine their business model and ultimately wipe them out. EA has never torched, obstructed or interefered with any paysite, as far as I know.
Test Subject
#20 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 8:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Linky: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=348082 (top of this forum )

Paysites Must Die is a place where people who are opposed to the whole concept of paysites upload their content for free in an attempt to undermine their business model and ultimately wipe them out. EA has never torched, obstructed or interefered with any paysite, as far as I know.

Thanks for the reply, I thought I'd read somewhere that EA had come down heavy at some point about paysites because they are against their T&C (selling derived works, or something).

As for TSR I guess I'll just lurk moar.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delancey2
Thanks for the reply, I thought I'd read somewhere that EA had come down heavy at some point about paysites because they are against their T&C (selling derived works, or something).

As for TSR I guess I'll just lurk moar.

EA could go against the paysites if they wanted because they break the end user license at least for sims 2 where bodyshop were used for moding. Standard for any games to say that the content created with supplied tools are the company’s property.
Probably to avoid being sued if EA make a part pack who look very close to some user created content. Also to crack down if TSR or modthesims had start selling a unofficial stuff pack cd in stores. Else EA don’t bother with.
Now my main problem with tsr is the dullness of the content, yes they have some nice things but you have to search hard in thousands of bad recolor to find it.
Test Subject
#22 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 12:46 PM
Hi, I've tested the TSR, following their tutorial for retexturing. When you import your new dds, the preview is updated, it's great to see the bad little things before saving your creation.

But one thing disapointed me a lot, I tested creating a new eyeliner, and the preview was so bad, the eyelashes was like "independant" from the skin and the upper eyeliner was invisible or behinf these strange eyelashes.

But in CAS, it looks prettier, the eye lashes was not "independant" and the eyeliner appears upper and lower the eye. How adjust correctly the makeup on the eye without a good preview ?
(I used llepid lama unpacker to have a .package from the sims3pack created by TSR)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#23 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 3:47 PM
Delancey2, magnemoe, Let's try and keep this thread on the subject of the TSR Workshop tool, and not get involved in paysite debates. Thanks.

nanomag, You can also use milkshape to preview the makeup too, if you know how.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 10:31 PM
Delphy: I guess everybody knows what achievements has been reached through your site, your skills and the time/work you are investing. Thanks again.

Xanathon: it is also an opportunity to say thanks to you.
I wish there would be a complete SimPE for TS3. Do you think it is possible?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#25 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 10:48 PM
Mausi: I can say that none of the active toolmakers in the free community (considering that we all talk to each other and share tips and trips), are in any way inclined to do such a monolithic tool like SimPE, for TS3. The only exception to this seems to be the TSR Workshop.

What you'll see from the major toolmakers is much of whats happened so far - lots of small, fast tools that do one thing and do it extremely well. In most cases, a start to finish run is only going to require 1 or 2 tools anyway, and if both those tools can launch, configure, save and exit in the time it takes SimPE to launch... thats a good thing.

Page 1 of 3