Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#451 Old 7th Dec 2013 at 6:39 PM
I'll probably look dumb here, but I only know English and some Spanish. I'm not fluent in Spanish but I could have a semi-decent conversation if I wanted. Then again, most people I know can only speak English (I live in America).

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Advertisement
Instructor
#452 Old 7th Dec 2013 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
I'll probably look dumb here, but I only know English and some Spanish. I'm not fluent in Spanish but I could have a semi-decent conversation if I wanted. Then again, most people I know can only speak English (I live in America).

I think that's due to the fact that even though Americans travel a lot, they seldom leave their country, they tend to travel within the States.
Here in Europe, for example, you may drive for 200 miles and cross 2 or three countries so it's kind of normal for us to be acquaintance with more than one language.
You don't look dumb, you just haven't had the chance to learn one yet (I guess).
I know my native language (Italian), English, French, Spanish and some German (I studied it for about 10 years during my childhood because I live near the Austrian border but never really got into it, and now that I don't study/practice it anymore I'm slowly forgetting everything -_- ).

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Theorist
#453 Old 7th Dec 2013 at 10:56 PM
I'm fluent in English, able to communicate in Spanish (although my Spanish is definitely broken), can get by in Pig Latin, and can swear in English, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Japanese, and Hebrew.

I also know a few words of French and German, mostly polite words and numbers up to three or four. I did once fool someone into thinking I spoke German: He said to me (in German) "Thank you very much," and I said (in German) "You're welcome." He asked me (in German) "Do you speak German?" and I said (in German) "No." That exhausted most of my German (except for the cursewords), but he talked to me in German for almost a minute before he believed me that I really don't speak it.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Field Researcher
#454 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 12:33 AM
I can speak English(i'm not very good at it yet..),Greek(native!),turkish,and..that's it. I also know few words in German and French xD
Scholar
#455 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 2:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gabrymato
I think that's due to the fact that even though Americans travel a lot, they seldom leave their country, they tend to travel within the States.
Here in Europe, for example, you may drive for 200 miles and cross 2 or three countries so it's kind of normal for us to be acquaintance with more than one language.

This is true, I've never left the US. The only countries I could drive to are Mexico and Canada and driving to Canada would take about 12 hours, Mexico longer than that. Most people I know don't travel outside the US often or at all because it's so expensive. And I have been learning Spanish for the past six years, I'm just not quite fluent in it yet because I don't have anyone to speak it with

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Field Researcher
#456 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 4:52 AM
English and my native Spanish, I'm learning Portuguese too but I'm kinda stupid/slow so that's gonna take a while. It is however fun to be the only educated one in the family[sarcasm] and curse them in English. They know now of course that I'm taking the piss out of them; so it is only fun to do when we are drunk.
Instructor
#457 Old 9th Dec 2013 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
This is true, I've never left the US. The only countries I could drive to are Mexico and Canada and driving to Canada would take about 12 hours, Mexico longer than that. Most people I know don't travel outside the US often or at all because it's so expensive. And I have been learning Spanish for the past six years, I'm just not quite fluent in it yet because I don't have anyone to speak it with

I guess it's just as expensive as it is for us to travel to Canada/USA! But your country is so big that you can find almost anything you might want in it (except, perhaps, very old cultural sites), from tropical islands to ski resorts to big lakes to big cities to national parks. The fact that all the states are part of the same federation is a nice thing, too: each state has its own differences and peculiarities but they all feel like they belong to something bigger, while in Europe everyone hates their neighbor and doesn't feel like they're part of a community.
Back to languages though, think the luckiest are the Swiss. Their country has four official languages (Italian, French, German and Romansch) and it's so small it's practically impossible for them not to ever leave it for some reason (It should be more or less as big as the state Maryland).

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Page 19 of 19