Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 5:28 PM Last edited by esmeiolanthe : 4th Jun 2014 at 3:41 AM. Reason: Typos interfere with understanding
Default Will this Mac work for TS2? (Answer: Nope)
I am considering upgrading my computer, and I would like to stay with a Mac. I am considering getting a previous generation Mac Pro now that the prices are coming down on the previous generation. These are the specs that I am looking at.

One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor
6GB (3 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC memory
1TB Serial ATA 7200 rpm
18x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5 memory

Here is a link with more details, although the link may disappear if someone buys this particular refurbished machine. (I can get a brand new one with the same specs locally, so there is no time pressure to buy this specific machine.)

I believe that this machine will come with Lion or Mountain Lion installed, which requires extra steps when installing TS2. I am aware of that, and prepared to deal with it. I am mostly concerned to get a machine with a compatible graphics card, rather than an integrated graphics chip. From my research, this computer looks nicely compatible with what I need. However, I would appreciate additional opinions before I spend the money!

Because this machine does not come with a display screen, I will need to buy a separate monitor. I am not quite sure what to look for in a monitor, so advice on that score would be appreciated. I am currently looking at something along the lines of this Asus VS228H-P:

Technical Information
Screen Size: 21.5"
Screen Mode: Full HD
Response Time: 5 ms
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Horizontal Viewing Angle: 170°
Vertical Viewing Angle: 160°
Adjustable Display Angle: Yes
Mount Type: Wall Mountable
Backlight Technology: LED
HDCP Supported: Yes

Video
Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Standard Refresh Rate: 75 Hz
Color Supported: 16.7 Million Colors
Contrast Ratio: 50,000,000:1
Brightness: 250 Nit

Interfaces/Ports
HDMI: Yes
VGA: Yes

I would actually prefer a slightly smaller monitor, since my computer desk is not overly large. I do not want a Mac monitor, since they are a) almost as expensive as the computer itself and b) enormous. Recommendations or advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 9:19 PM
Specs-wise, that's more than sufficient for TS2. You say you're aware of the compatibility issues, so that's also great - I wonder if there's a guide somewhere to the extra installation steps? I haven't seen one, I don't think.

As far as I am aware, Macs use proprietary video connectors which can only be used with Apple monitors. I may be wrong about that, or you may have an adapter. I'm not an expert on monitors as I buy them quite rarely, but that all looks fine to me - you should be able to find a slightly smaller model from Asus, but if not I'm sure one of the other manufacturers will sell them. Samsung have a particularly good reputation for monitors.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 10:20 PM
There is a guide to the extra installation steps here, which is what I intend to use. If all else fails, I have my Snow Leopard installation disc and can make a partition to run the game on. I'll just put on some soothing music and have a good book handy.

The Asus monitor is sold by a local shop that specializes in Macs only, so I am betting that it is Mac-compatible or they wouldn't have it in stock. However, I will research connectors and compatible monitors more thoroughly before I buy. Thank you for bringing up an issue that was not on my radar, and for checking the specs for me!

Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 3:17 AM
Bumping this thread to say that the instructions linked to do not work for Mountain Lion, and also that creating a partition and installing Snow Leopard does not work.

So unless someone wants to use Boot Camp on this machine, it is not a good machine for simming. If you're on a Mac and want to use the Mac version of the game, don't get this setup.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 12:30 PM
Oh gah, I'm sorry to hear that. :s

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.