Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 2:58 PM
Default Forum "Lovebuttons" discussion
Hi All,

In my massive quest to totally rewrite the entire MTS codebase to bring it kicking and screaming into this decade, I'm working on the Forums part. To that end, I have recreated the existing "lovebuttons" system; that is, the "Agree", "Disagree", "Love", "Funny", "Helpful" and "Unhelpful" buttons that appear under posts. I know that some people really don't like the "Disagree" button, primarily because you can't see who has actually disagreed (or any other button) with the post.

I would like to hear some feedback on these buttons. So far I have some options here:

1) Keep them as-is. Who clicked what button is invisible except to staff.
2) Remove them entirely (ie no lovebuttons at all)
3) Make who clicked what visible to the post owner (and staff).
4) ?? Other suggestions

Feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 3:25 PM
I like these buttons, but would appreciate some transparency as to who clicked what. This may prevent some of the 'revenge disagree' posts we are seeing, where someone posts something like 'this is what my sims did today' and three people disagree, just because that person said something they didn't like somewhere else.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 5:04 PM
One of the things about having everything visible is that it could cause "drama" because of the exact reason you gave - but I guess at least it would make people think twice about actually clicking, and then trying to hide it.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 8:24 PM
I'm only here for the drama!

But really, I see your point, I hope others will comment what they think too.
Theorist
#5 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 10:17 PM
I can't remember that last time I used the buttons. If they went away entirely, my feelings wouldn't be hurt in the slightest. That being said, I do think it would be 'entertaining' to see who clicks on them. While I agree there may be drama, I suspect there would be some second thoughts before people engaged in the disagree alligator rolls they've been able to get away with for a long as I've been here.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 5:44 AM
I always use the Helpful or Love buttons over in the WCIF section, so that people know their efforts to locate hard to find CC are appreciated by others. Other buttons I use depending on what i feel about the post that is presented. I don't always feel like replying, or sometimes don't actually have the time, so I'll only click a reaction button. When I'm able, I choose a button and reply with a worded response as well.

Disagrees don't bother me, whether they're real or just trolled and I don't need to see who has clicked it. Everyone disagrees with someone else at some point in their life, I've never understood why people get so worked up over the disagree button. As far as I am aware disagrees don't impact your forum standing or ability to post, or anything like that, it's just someone disagreeing with your opinion or something. And if they're trolling by just pressing it for nothing, then you know what they say about small things amusing small minds.

I myself am not fussed if the buttons show who pressed them if it comes to that, as I'm sure if staff can see who is continually pressing inappropriate buttons on a post they will deal with it. In my own opinion, I'd prefer that all the buttons be kept as they are. The official forums went through this entire debacle time and time again over people crying about the disagree button. Some people seemed utterly unable to understand that it is a disagree button and not a dislike button. They also took away the LOL button because people were paranoid they were being laughed at. I'd like to think that a more adult oriented forum like this one could handle reaction buttons that we have, rather than removing them in case someone has their feelings hurt over it.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Theorist
#7 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 8:42 AM
From where I'm sitting, the problem with the disagree button is it causes drama in and of itself.

There will be a discussion about something, somebody will give a unpopular opinion which leads to the disagree button being by X amount of people. Depending on who is participating in said discussion, the whole thread can be completely derailed by arguments about who clicked the disagree button. This can and often leads to others jumping in to announce they clicked some other button to counter the disagree button and so on.

There has been problems with the funny button. People would go around clicking the funny button whether something was funny or not just so they could earn a badge which again derailed a conversation because people were annoyed by people clicking the funny button for things that are / were not funny. Example: Somebody mentioned a family member died. Because nobody could see who was clowning with the funny button on said kinds of posts, the clowns piled on and clicked the funny button more when others complained about it.

Eliminating the buttons removes all of this. Leaving them but allowing people to see who clicked what may also act like a form of prevention of both examples I mentioned above or not. I think it would depend on the person. If somebody is that determined to derail a thread, they can and will find other ways if they've always hidden behind their anon button clicking.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 7:14 PM
I also raise my hand for the removal of anonymity on the buttons. I just nod back when somebody thanks me in person. In the same manner, with just through a button, I'd like to give that kind of gesture too via the 'love' button..

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Forum Resident
#9 Old 21st Mar 2024 at 1:30 AM
Hrm, maybe I didn't word the last portion of my post very well.
I am not fussy if the post lists who clicked what button, I just don't advocate for the removal of any buttons, that's all.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 21st Mar 2024 at 10:21 AM
There is drama already with the disagree button, isn't it? And yes, to a lesser degree with the funny button as well. I would think it's clicked a lot by only a few people, and just occasionally by most others. I get that there is not always time or mood for a proper post (that's what I love the buttons for), but anonymous negativity is not helpful at all. If you disagree, take your time to give a reason. Some thrown-in negativity does not lead anywhere. So, even more than knowing who disagreed I'd like to know why they disagreed.

I still vote for removing anonymity as to reduce trolling at least a bit.

Some more suggestions/thoughts:
  • remove only the disagree button
  • don't remove it, but add a pop-up mandatory text field which requires giving a reason. No reason - no disagree. While this defies the advantage of a simple button, it would reduce drama. And maybe it would move the discourse to a more constructive one again. Or at least make the trolling more obvious. Instead of a text field maybe a bullet-point list offering a few standard reasons (see below, renaming).
  • there could be a limit as to how often you can click that button in a thread/on site. Why come here if everything is just crap? Go troll elsewhere.
  • rename the disagree button to something else. Something, that would indicate more of a reason for rejecting this post. Are the stated facts/solutions outdated? Is it not a solution to the OP's topic/off-topic? Or name it "I just want to troll". Not helpful either, but at least transparent.
  • enable it in chatter sub-forums only, not in creator's discussions or help sections etc.
Scholar
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 1:07 AM
Well, I've been absent for a while due to life getting in the way (insane amounts of overtime, moving house etc.) but I always come back, both to Sims 2 and Mod the Sims. I've been a member a few years now.

I've used the forums for Sims and Off Topic, both are helpful and people here tend to be kind, which is lovely. I'm also old enough to remember dial up internet, so I've been on a few forums.

I like being anonymous, and receiving anonymous feedback for kind of the same reasons. If you go on a forum enough, you get to know people a bit, and can make friends or even just like people. However, if reactions were not anonymous I can forsee problems in people being hurt by 'why has my friend Disagreed or just not reacted to my post' or the opposite, accidentally offending someone else by your reaction or lack of reaction.

In real life, people know what is happening in your life, such as being bereaved or heartbroken, but internet friends may not know and wonder if you are ignoring them or have left for good.

I've had times where getting some 'loves' or 'funnys' have made my day and made me feel understood.

As for the Dislike button specifically - I think it is only useful if there is a reason attached really. If you are in Off Topic and pour your heart out, a Dislike can sting. You could have said "Why did this awful thing happen, did I deserve it or am I an ok person with bad luck?" So a Disgree out of context could mean you don't deserve it, or that you're a bad person. If you are posting in Sims or gameplay etc. someone could Disagree for a technical reason, risk of corruption, preferred software or anything else really, so in that case a reason is more helpful too.

So I would say keep them as is, except perhaps prompt people to give a reason for Disagree - perhaps a drop down, although that could lead to too many options. But for Off Topic you could have 'because we care about you' or 'I think you were harsh on the other person' or something else. And for Sims you could have 'I use another method' or 'That could cause corruption' or 'I have an easier way, it is...'.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Mar 2024 at 1:25 PM
You all raise some good points. With regards to those saying that Disagree needs a reason, I think it would be a lot of maintenance in terms of adding or maintaining what the reasons are - per forum or group of forums. I like to think of the buttons as basically like the Reactions system on discord, but with words rather than just simple emojis.

I think having the button presses be public does mean people can ask "Why did you disagree with me?" and start a dialogue. Or they get butt-hurt instead, either way. :P

Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th Mar 2024 at 6:15 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 27th Mar 2024 at 6:36 PM.
If you disagree/agree enough with a post and feel the need to say something other than a simple disagree/agree, there's a whole reply system already available. There's no need to make a second way to post on top of that. Either use the buttons or make a post. Otherwise it's just a bunch of unnecessary clutter. Let them just be reaction buttons.

I find the buttons alright to have, if there's a post I want to react to but don't have anything much to say, clicking whatever button fits best does the trick. The buttons we've got now are fine.

I'm neutral to whether the answers should be anonymous or public, though. There's arguments for and against. Some people prefer being anonymous and only use the reaction buttons instead of posting (but not for trolling). Those likely would use the buttons less or not at all if names were public. Then again, those who are using the disagree button for trolling purposes probably would think twice when going on disagree rants. And then there are those who can't for the life of them understand WHY people can disagree with them over a topic, and NEED to start arguments, even if there's just one or two disagrees - it's possible this kind of needless discussion would be ramped up, not toned down.

The "Disagree" button doesn't necessarily mean someone hates the post, but maybe just disagrees with some points made. I think people sometimes forget that disagreeing about something can be perfectly fine, and it's alright to have different opinions, as long as it doesn't evolve into a full-on fight or attacks toward a person.

If it is important to the person who clicks disagree WHY they clicked it, they have the option to make a post. If they're just trolling the button, they likely won't post. Single disagrees are rarely anything to worry about for those who are sensitive to that particular button.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 27th Mar 2024 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
as long as it doesn't evolve into a full-on fight or attacks toward a person.

That was my point though, that people were doing just that to at least two members I can think of. At one point, every post that these people made got several disagrees (even when they were posting something like, 'I am building a new world', I mean how can you disagree with that, unless you live with that person and know for a fact that they didn't ). After a while these members became aware of this, and were quite upset. If it were transparent that it was just the same three people disagreeing with every single post that they wrote, then at least they could just put those people on block and forget about it.