Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 2:44 AM Last edited by TechMoogle : 17th Jan 2021 at 2:58 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Broken Automony - Elder Males
My male elder sims have been acting strange lately ever since I deleted a junk file that was causing problems in my game. They often stand around doing absolutely nothing for hours at a time. While they stand there I've noticed their idle animation is really messed up. It seems to reset itself constantly every few seconds or so, causing any animations they were currently doing to immediately cancel and then they snap back to a default standing position. Here's a video of the issue.

In addition, occasionally the sim will freeze up entirely, becoming completely still and not even doing the glitchy idle animation anymore, and at this point my game will slow to a crawl until I tell that sim to do something. These glitches only occur with male elder sims, every other sim seems to behave like normal. I'm not sure if this is directly related to me deleting the junk file or not. But it does feel connected as that file was causing the game to crash whenever an adult male aged up to elder.

I do have a lot of mods, but none that affect elder sim behavior as far as I know. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this glitch before and has a solution, cause at the moment it's making it really annoying to have an old guy on my lot.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 4:37 AM
Try turning debug mode on and see if you get an error log.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 10:46 AM
Also, what 'junk' file did you delete?
Forum Resident
#4 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 4:07 PM
If I remember correctly, simsample, the file they're referring to was a 6.6MB file with a bunch of random letters as the file name. Based on the threads I read on the issue, this file contains stuff regarding the Base Game clothes and often comes with sim2pack file sims.

As for a fix for the issue itself, the elder is most likely resetting due to encountering an error. Turning on debug mode (boolProp testingcheatsenabled true), as someone already mentioned should give you the error and automatically save it in the 'Logs' folder. Post that error log so someone can read and take a look for you.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 6:22 PM
Oh, the cres file thing? That's a really old bug, I think it was common in an old gameversion but I haven't heard of it for a long time. Must be from some old Sims2Packs!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Jan 2021 at 1:47 AM
I have debug mode setup to turn on at start, so it's always on, but I've never seen an error message pop up in relation to this issue. Is there something else I need to do to make it pop up in-game?
Forum Resident
#7 Old 19th Jan 2021 at 11:37 PM
I would attempt to manually force an error and reset to see if that fixes him. If not, then we just have to look further into the problem to find the cause.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jan 2021 at 8:32 AM
Manually forcing an error doesn't fix them unfortunately. The glitch happens with every sim that's both an elder and male though, so it seems like it's recurring issue either way. I can play around it by making sure they're always doing something, but it's definitely annoying having to babysit them. My older sims tend to have completed all their aspirational goals, reached the end of their careers, maxed out nearly every skill, etc. So I really struggle to think of anything for them to do and would much rather leave them to their own devices.
Test Subject
#9 Old 22nd Jan 2021 at 9:45 AM
Did you check if the sim still has his aspiration? I had a bug once where one of my adult sims lost their aspiration and it looked similar, except they would reset each time they tried to interact with someone else. I hadn't noticed the missing aspiration until way later.