Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2020 at 2:43 AM
Default UV-Mapped face/body meshes
Hi! Are there face/body meshes that are already UV-Mapped? I want some to make full face makeup and skin in belnder, but so far all the obj files I've found are either not UV-mapped, or the map doesn't line up with the maps you get from exporting from body shop.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Jul 2020 at 4:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Jul 2020 at 6:51 PM.
There are some meshes you can get the UVmaps from. Use the PJSE tool to extract meshes in SimPE. Try the "--face" meshes. (af/ef/tf/am/em/tm/cu/pu/bu - not all the ages will work, as some are reused between ages) and extract the GMDC (right-click, choose "extract"). Then you should get the fully UVmapped faces. Import into Milkshape. Click "no" to importing the morphs.

Don't use the OBJ mesh, because this has a tendency to shift place slightly when extracted. Occasionally you could get a borked map.

You can do the same to the bodies "--bodynaked/--topnaked/--bottomnaked" or any other clothes you want, and the head/scalp "--hairbald".

These do work fine. I think the faces are more or less mapped the same, but there are a few differences (babies don't have teeth, and there could be a few minor differences between male and female adults/teens. The lines at the edges should be the same.

Personally I've started using Blender to extract UVmaps (I'd extract the mesh as an OBJ from Milkshape and then the map from Blender), but there are of course other ways too.

---

EDIT: These are the ones I've extracted for my own use - but thought I'd share since it is a bit of a job to get them all, and there are a few small varieties between them: https://simfileshare.net/download/1948113/

Elders and YA share face/hair meshes with adults, and I haven't extracted the top/bottom bodies for any of them. I did add in the OBJ meshes I extracted from Milkshape. There's one small bug in the child head mesh (the UVmap had jumped), but I fixed it when I extracted the UV in Blender. There's both 512 + 1024 maps for babies and toddlers because I sometimes use the larger ones (in case you wonder, but I've marked them). If you want other clothes or figure out you need other meshes, it's very easy to extract them via the PJSE tool and Milkshape.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
There are some meshes you can get the UVmaps from. Use the PJSE tool to extract meshes in SimPE. Try the "--face" meshes. (af/ef/tf/am/em/tm/cu/pu/bu - not all the ages will work, as some are reused between ages) and extract the GMDC (right-click, choose "extract"). Then you should get the fully UVmapped faces. Import into Milkshape. Click "no" to importing the morphs.

Don't use the OBJ mesh, because this has a tendency to shift place slightly when extracted. Occasionally you could get a borked map.

You can do the same to the bodies "--bodynaked/--topnaked/--bottomnaked" or any other clothes you want, and the head/scalp "--hairbald".

These do work fine. I think the faces are more or less mapped the same, but there are a few differences (babies don't have teeth, and there could be a few minor differences between male and female adults/teens. The lines at the edges should be the same.

Personally I've started using Blender to extract UVmaps (I'd extract the mesh as an OBJ from Milkshape and then the map from Blender), but there are of course other ways too.

---

EDIT: These are the ones I've extracted for my own use - but thought I'd share since it is a bit of a job to get them all, and there are a few small varieties between them: https://simfileshare.net/download/1948113/

Elders and YA share face/hair meshes with adults, and I haven't extracted the top/bottom bodies for any of them. I did add in the OBJ meshes I extracted from Milkshape. There's one small bug in the child head mesh (the UVmap had jumped), but I fixed it when I extracted the UV in Blender. There's both 512 + 1024 maps for babies and toddlers because I sometimes use the larger ones (in case you wonder, but I've marked them). If you want other clothes or figure out you need other meshes, it's very easy to extract them via the PJSE tool and Milkshape.

I think the files you found work perfectly, thank you, you are a hero
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 4:05 PM
This post should be so much more popular I kept looking for a basic sim model to use with a head and everything thank you so much!
Alchemist
#5 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 5:41 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 26th Aug 2020 at 6:13 PM.

If you want other clothes or figure out you need other meshes, it's very easy to extract them via the PJSE tool and Milkshape.

This file is incredibly helpful, @simmer22! Thank you so much! Can you say a bit more about how to extract meshes with PJSE for this. That has always confused me. Maybe a screenshot showing how I can find the mesh for a certain in game outfit? And once PJSE shows it, then do I have to load a different file or what?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 7:18 PM
It's exactly how you'd extract any other CAS mesh via SimPE - you need to figure out the mesh name, either by searching it up or finding the PropertySet or MeshOverlay from a recolor file (Maxis default only*), then you:
- make a new SimPE file
- choose "Tools --> PJSE --> Body Mesh Tool --> Extracting Stage"
- write in the name and click OK
- Click the GMDC (I usually copy the "filename" but without "_tslocator_gmdc" and paste this in as the name of the file when I save), Right-click the GMDC, choose "extract", (paste in the name if you copied it, if not you can rename or keep the original), save in a location you can find the file(s).

* For CC files you can disregard all the PJSE parts - just open the mesh and extract the GMDC.

- Open with Unimesh in Milkshape
- Export as OBJ
(Milkshape doesn't have a good UV exporter - I prefer using Blender to export the UVmap, but it can be done in a lot of other programs, such as UVmapper and Wings3D)
Alchemist
#7 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 7:54 PM
It's exactly how you'd extract any other CAS mesh via SimPE - you need to figure out the mesh name, either by searching it up or finding the PropertySet or MeshOverlay from a recolor file (Maxis default only*), then you:
- make a new SimPE file
- choose "Tools --> PJSE --> Body Mesh Tool --> Extracting Stage"
- write in the name and click OK
- Click the GMDC (I usually copy the "filename" but without "_tslocator_gmdc" and paste this in as the name of the file when I save), Right-click the GMDC, choose "extract", (paste in the name if you copied it, if not you can rename or keep the original), save in a location you can find the file(s).

* For CC files you can disregard all the PJSE parts - just open the mesh and extract the GMDC.

- Open with Unimesh in Milkshape
- Export as OBJ
(Milkshape doesn't have a good UV exporter - I prefer using Blender to export the UVmap, but it can be done in a lot of other programs, such as UVmapper and Wings3D)

Thank you. I get the finding name, extraction part. I just never understood PJSE. Thanks! I'm only using Blender for all of it at this point. More than one would just be too much for me.
Btw, for others. Most, if not all, the game clothes meshes are in the Sims03.package in case, like me, that's what you were looking for. I just figured this out today. :P
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 8:22 PM
You can of course use Blender for everything (but I've found it often leaves borked normals on meshes extracted from ingame, so I still tend to stick to Milkshape - doesn't matter much for UV maps, though).

If you use files from ProgramFiles (they do indeed have the same resources for each 01, 02, 03, etc. file), I suggest copying the files before you start messing about with them, even if you're just extracting meshes or textures. It's far too easy to accidentally save something or delete something you shouldn't. SimPE could crash and cause a problem for all you know. Best work on a copy, especially if you're extracting several files.

If you're looking for something, and don't know or remember the name (and also can't remember which pack to find the thing, or can't bother searching through a ton of package files for one random GMDC) the Finder can be helpful. You can find a lot of files with a bit of guesswork on the name searches.