Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 8:49 AM
Default A way to order files manually on an upload
So after updating one of my mods recently, I noticed that replaced/updated files now jump to the top of the file list in the download section. Due to the high amount of files on each of my uploads, I like to maintain a certain order to keep the list tidy and organised, but it's quite a hassle without a way to manually order things. Just a suggestion
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 9:25 AM
I've noticed this as well! Personally, for my own mods, it's not as bad of a thing, but I can see how for some they'd want their own way of ordering things.

Not sure if it's a feature that will be added (since that's not exactly my job here lol) but, what I do is usually in the descriptions, to state "DOWNLOAD THIS" or "PART 1" and then the next one being "PART 2" etc.  
Space Pony
#3 Old 7th Dec 2020 at 7:59 PM
The current system of ordering files makes a real mess. Given the fact there's an option to change images' order, I'd love to be able to do the same with other files.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 9:30 AM
Given that currently the ordering is by last updated, which actually does make sense for the vast majority of uploads (and, indeed, was requested to be that way), saying it's "a real mess" is nice

Ordering files will come at some point, but it's not exactly a priority at this point.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 9:31 AM
I agree; I notice that extra optional or alternative files I added later to many of my uploads, or updates to existing parts of upload sets, are now appearing at the top of the list instead of at the bottom (or their original positions before updating), which must surely make it confusing for people downloading those creations for the first time. (It sure confused the heck out of me when I first saw this change, LOL)

ETA: Ah, Tashiketh posted at the same time as me - yes, a way to order the files at some point would be great.

My Fallout 4 creations: Nexus
More of my Fallout 4 items and some of my unreleased-on-MTS TS4 stuff are at my site, Colourful Commonwealth
Space Pony
#6 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
Given that currently the ordering is by last updated, which actually does make sense for the vast majority of uploads
I don't get the sense of it. I don't know what others do, but I upload files in some order deliberately. First, I was surprised that in the download view the order is reversed. Second, updating files destroys the original order and… makes a mess. It is not nice.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#7 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nopke
I don't get the sense of it. I don't know what others do, but I upload files in some order deliberately. First, I was surprised that in the download view the order is reversed. Second, updating files destroys the original order and… makes a mess. It is not nice.
Just wondering here, with the "Updating files destroys the original order", do you mean that the 'updated' file then ends up being on top? or..? I'm actually curious as to see what your ordering system is like then  

I think though what Tashiketh was referring to in his first post was that we had quite some people requesting to have the 'Updated' files on top rather than under because it was confusing. And hearing now that that's also not the right way of doing, I can imagine that that's a bit fustrating.

Now, from your point of view however, I also understand the frustration. Especially if you've got your own way of ordering files. Been there as well! Especially with files that come as 'needing each other to function'.

I do know that the whole ordering anything manually is being worked on and in some ways even exists for beta testers (Although that's on thread level, not necessarily download level yet), making it easier for any creator to use their own ordering system for downloads. So believe me when I say, the 'mess' will be fixed soon-ish, it just takes a little patience  Especially since behind the scene we're working on a lot of nifty upgrades to the site. For creators, downloaders, and staff alike!
Space Pony
#8 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
Just wondering here, with the "Updating files destroys the original order", do you mean that the 'updated' file then ends up being on top?
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean.

I'm actually curious as to see what your ordering system is like then
I upload various content so I haven't developed any consistent system. Base/standard versions first, things that have something in common should be grouped – these are my main rules.

I think though what Tashiketh was referring to in his first post was that we had quite some people requesting to have the 'Updated' files on top rather than under because it was confusing.
I suggest marking updated (based on the Up to date? on the My Downloads page) files clearly (eg. with a different background) instead.

I do know that the whole ordering anything manually is being worked on and in some ways even exists for beta testers (Although that's on thread level, not necessarily download level yet), making it easier for any creator to use their own ordering system for downloads. So believe me when I say, the 'mess' will be fixed soon-ish, it just takes a little patience  Especially since behind the scene we're working on a lot of nifty upgrades to the site. For creators, downloaders, and staff alike!
I hope soon-ish doesn't mean a year or something alike.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 5:22 PM
While I do agree that automatically ordering by last updated is a good idea, I think the choice to override this feature with manual ordering is equally as important. I personally separate files into an archive per expansion/stuff pack (if necessary), and then order them by release date (so EP01, SP01, EP02, SP02, etc).