Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 5:34 AM Last edited by kristy1987 : 17th Feb 2014 at 5:44 AM.
Default Is this Nvidia GeForce card enough?
Hello

I have been having some trouble with my asus laptop and getting my game to run smoothly. I have the sims 3 and sims 3 pets installed.

System Specs:
Windows 7 HP
Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @2.50GHz
4GB Ram (3.89 usable)
64 bit operating system

Graphics Card
Laptop came with Nvidia GeForce 610M 2GB (Couldn't find it in the graphics card list on Modthesims)
Running Sims version 1.67.2
I also have custom content installed

Before I was using the nvidia card I was using the standard graphics card and the game kept crashing. I realized I wasn't using the nvidia card so I went to the nvidia control panel and changed the settings so I was using it for global settings and under program settings, select a program to customize I just selected sims3launcher.exe then the nvidia graphics card but I didn't specify any settings for it (I have no idea what any of it means). I started the game again and it recognized the new card. Since then it hasn't been crashing (its on pretty low settings in the games graphic options except for sim detail and texture detail) but for some reason the game tab just shrinks and when I open it again the game is still going but the screen has gone quite dark (I can still play but it's annoying). Updated my graphics card driver and it has come up with a new control panel called Nvidia GeForce Experience 1.8.1, the graphics driver is now version 334.67, nvidia PhysX System Software 9.13.1220, nvidia virtual audio 1.2.19. So I now have two control panels for the card. I don't know if this is normal or not.
The Experience panel asks me if I want to use optimal settings (which is all high settings) so I do and the game looks fantastic and it's quick etc no problems except it still shrinks and when I bring the tab back up it is dark. Then sometimes when I start the game up it's slow and the furniture takes awhile to appear, some sections of grass are blurry, the pool is blurry but everything else still looks fantastic. Am I doing something wrong with the nvidia card...most of it makes no sense to me, or is the card just not good enough?

I have been stuffing around with this all for a couple weeks now, I am about to call a computer tech and ask them to have a look but I thought I'd post here first and see if I can find help before I use monies.

Thank you...and I'm sorry if what I've written makes no sense.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 11:17 AM
That card is the weakest card in the 6xx series, and no, it's really not good enough for TS3. I would suggest you don't bother taking the laptop to a tech, because they won't be able to do anything to help, so it'll just be a waste of money.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Feb 2014 at 12:58 AM
Well that's crap...the game case says 6 series or better...not very specific. Is there anything I can do to upgrade it or replace it?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Feb 2014 at 2:31 AM
Intel Core i5-4200u Processor (3m Cache, Up To 2.60 GHz)
4GB RAM
750GB Hard Drive
Windows 8
DVD +/- & CD Player
3 USB Ports
USB Version 2.0
SD Card Reader
Webcam
WIFI
2MB Graphics Memory
Nvidia G740
750 GB HDD
4 GB RAM
15.6 Inch Screen
1 HDMI Ports
1366 x 768 Screen Resolution
4 Cell Battery
2 USB 2.0 Ports
1 USB 3.0 Ports

Would something like this be better?
Scholar
#5 Old 18th Feb 2014 at 5:39 AM
Yes, its better but not by enough.

The processor is good and is pretty much what you should look for. The i5 - 4XXX series give you better performance and better battery life.

The RAM is low though, you should get 6GB minimum, 8GB preferred.

The 740M (not to be confused with the desktop GT 740) is kinda weak. At the resolution the laptop comes with it may be able to play the base game on low but you'll be pushing it hard and its not recommended. You should get a 760M or a 765M.