Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 1:28 AM
Default Do you guys identify with your generation?
Do you guys feel like the way your generation is thought of is applicable to you? Like, I'm gen z and I'm a pretty normal gen z-er. I don't think I've ever felt like I was born in the wrong generation. I can't live without my phone, I love random gen z humor, I love crackhead energy, I think the egirl look is actually pretty cool, etc. What about you guys?

Also, do y'all feel like the humor/replies are generally written in an older style? Or am I just crazy?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 1:56 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Apr 2020 at 5:53 PM.
I don't think I've ever identified with "my generation" (I think I'm supposed to be a millenial, but eh...). After a while of trying to fit in with those around my age, I just kind of gave up and did my own thing.

I have no idea what "crackhead energy" or "egirl" is supposed to mean - but perhaps that's the wrong generation?

If I didn't need a phone to communicate with certain people, I'd probably prefer not having one. I have a half-smart phone (from just before they started resembling mini-laptops) and I will continue using that one until it dies (it's closing in on 9 years old, I think - yeah, it really is that old and still working, still with a whole screen, despite several crashes to the floor/asphalt). I don't like the tiny scrolling screens on smartphones, nor do I like the constant nagging from (anti)social apps like Facebook, Snap, Insta, or whatever they're called these days. I already have a computer - it's called a laptop. When I'm not using the laptop, I'm doing other things, like work, and don't want to be disturbed by a naggy bleeping phone all the time (There's enough of that with the work phone, which I hate having to answer because I don't like doing phone calls, but it's part of the job, I guess).
Alchemist
#3 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 4:46 PM
I don't even know if I'm a late Millenial or the first of Gen Z. I didn't even know about this whole generation naming ordeal, until about maybe 2 years ago.
I never really (concioussly) used 'my generation' as a way of identifying. I just am, I guess.

I wish to answer to your 2nd to last question, but I'm missing context. What humor? What replies? You mean here on MTS?

To answer your last question; If you know, you aren't.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#4 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 6:47 PM
Millennial, first half, angry that I am stereotyped for wrecking numerous economic structures.

I guess I fit the Angry Millennial type.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Alchemist
#5 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Millennial, first half, angry that I am stereotyped for wrecking numerous economic structures.

I thought Millenials are angry about Boomers for wrecking the economy?

#6 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
I wish to answer to your 2nd to last question, but I'm missing context. What humor? What replies? You mean here on MTS?

Yeah, I feel like the humor on this site is longer than, say on Reddit or Tumblr or Twitter. I can't find any outright examples, but like, I feel like it's more common for a joke response to be a few sentences long and often it creates a hypothetical scenario played for comedy. I feel like there's a lot more use of rhetorical questions for comedy too, like doing an Amelia Bedalia thing where you pretend to take it the other way with some slightly over the top acting and then being like "Oh, did you mean [the thing they actually meant]?". I don't know if I'm making sense lol. Like, on other platforms, short comedic lines are pretty common. For example, someone just commenting "mood", "me_irl", "I'm crying", etc.

I'm gonna go off topic a bit, but it's sorta related. There's also general Internet dialects where for example on Tumblr, there's infrequent capitalization and lots of question mark usage.There was this example I found where a 4chan greentext was translated into different internet dialects.

4chan (original):
>mom came into my room in the middle of the night
>I pretended to be asleep
>she stroked my cheek and hair for a minute and then left
Is she planning to kill me?

Tumblr: “my mom came into my room and I pretended to be asleep and she stroked my cheek??? Is she gonna kill me???” And someone replied, “she loves you, dumbass”

Instagram:
Jenny.is.Nice My mom came into my the MIDDLE OF THE [moon emoji] NIIGHT [moon emoji] and I pretended to be [sleep emoji][sleep emoji] asleep [sleep emoji][sleep emoji], and then she [knife emoji] STROKED MY CHEEK [knife emoji]! Is she gonna [shocked emoji][shocked emoji]KILL[shocked emoji][shocked emoji]ME[shocked emoji][shocked emoji]?!?!
SelphiKing_99 [facepalm emoji][facepalm emoji]NO SHE [heart emoji] YOU IDIOT [facepalm emoji][facepalm emoji]

Reddit: Hey guys! A weird thing happened and I need some advice and I thought maybe this sub could help me out. Sorry if the formatting is weird I'm on mobile, English isn't my first language.
Me: me
WM: Weird Mom
Anyways, here's what happened:
I was in my room last night playing Witcher 3 on my Switch when my mom comes into my room (this is like 2AM, I'm usually asleep by now) so I pretend to be asleep and she strokes my cheek and hair for like a minute, then leaves.
Guys, is my mom gonna kill me?
TL;DR - Mom is weird, help
EDIT: WOW, my first reddit gold thank you so much I'm so happy right now!!!

Twitter: wtf my mom like...went into my room and touched my hair n face while i was asleep, am I gonna fkn die? :< #help #mom #cuttoxicpeopleout

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/tumblr/com...lr_punctuation/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN

On the (sort of) bright side, at least you guys aren't blamed for this economic disaster.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 9:20 PM
I'm a Gen X-er. My good friend is also Gen X but he talks so much like a boomer I think he might as well be one. :\ He's four years too young to be a boomer though. However, this same friend keeps insisting I'm a Millennial, even though I've told him various times I'm solidly within Gen X.

A lot of people on MTS are old enough to be Gen X or Boomers, so that would account for the "older style" you're seeing. Hell, even when I text, I still put periods on the ends of all my sentences that don't warrant an exclamation point or question mark, and capitalize normally. So I'm probably more boomerish-seeming when I text. I still identify as Gen X though.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 9:26 PM
I've never felt like my generation. The people I grew up with only has a computer because their kids insisted on it. We have very little in common. I was interested in pc's the moment they came out. I'm a creative head though, and it might just be that, because it's apparently difficult to understand.

I'm from a little place outside a slightly bigger city. They were religious and thought adult ladies shouldn't have long hair. I have nothing in common with them.

There might be several reasons why I feel off, and it's often not just my generation. My sister has 2 kids and is very preoccupied with not letting them sitt by the pc more than a couple of hours. That is all happening while some kids sit by the comp several hours each day, and learn programs their parents doesn't understand. PC is a tool for many people and a tool for the future.

Some people just have a different view on the world, and that should be fine. Nothing to worry about.
Alchemist
#10 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 9:30 PM
Oh my, that was a great explanation
I fully understand what you mean. When chatting or something I write differently with emojis (though not as shown) aswell.
Here I write 'normal' English, I just think it's the polite way to communicate with the people infront of their screens
In the end we're all just here to provide, help, download, learn, and have fun.
At least that's how I perceive this forum

#11 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 10:13 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Apr 2020 at 10:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by chocoberrychoco
4chan (original):
Tumblr:
Instagram:
Reddit:
Twitter:

That girl may need some councelling.
Or move out from the not-so-happy-Disney castle where all the angry stepmom-witches live.
It's one of them, not sure which

Anyhow, I prefer chatting in reasonably good English with proper punctuation and grammar (ESL but been practicing for quite a while, plus my brain struggles with large blocks of badly formatted text which is why I take grammar and formatting seriously), with a low number of (hopefully) well-placed smilies here and there. I don't normally talk in tags or smilies-only or insta-pictures or snaps any of the other strange communication methods the younger generations seem to prefer (I HATE snaps with picture filters that are meant to make you look funny - they're just dumb and after the 3rd picture total they're no longer funny). I do sneak in a lot of humor and sarcasm here and there, though - but I try to make it clear when I am joking, because hearing something and reading it isn't quite the same.

I'm the kind of person who would prefer if an SMS had 500 characters and phones had keyboards (mine does, which is one reason why I refuse to let it go before its time...), because 140 characters is way too little when I get chatty. Which is why I like forums

I grew up in the 90s and early 2000s. I can't quite remember when we got our first computer, but it was an old IBM with Windows 95 (can't quite remember how old I was, but maybe around 10). It was a family computer, and it was also the host of my first Sims game (SimTown - the child version of SimCity). I didn't get a personal cellphone until I was 14 (I think?) and after we'd gone through another family computer (this time Win98), I got my first personal laptop when I was around 16 (a rather huge thing with 512 MB RAM and XP). So I guess I kinda grew up in that shift between having no computers or cellphones and having phones and personal computers (I probably would have loved to have a computer when I was younger, though). I remember my brother had a Nintendo 64, one set of cousins had a SEGA and another set of cousins had a PS1, and I (much later, maybe around 16 or so) had a PS2. It felt a bit bigger when the technological age kind of ran us over during the late 90s/early 00s, and it was more fun back then because it was exciting.

Nowadays it's almost like kids are born with an iPad in one hand and a phone in the other, and are fed on social media apps like Insta and Snap and take some Youtube for dessert. They kind of take it all for granted. When my youngest nephew visits, it's not uncommon to see him juggling a phone, iPad, PS4, and a TV almost at the same time, as if there can't be enough screens and electronical devices around. When I was his age, we had a box TV with two or three channels to choose from (and when I was at the age of his little sister, we probably just had one channel), and iPads only existed in reruns of Star Trek on my aunt's TV every summer (they had satellite TV, lucky bastards - we didn't get that until I moved out to go to school ).
Space Pony
#12 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 8:32 AM
I really don't

Dag-Dag
Field Researcher
#13 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 12:55 PM
I'm part of a micro-generation, a cusper if you will, so I don't really fit in and spend the majority of my existence in a state of confusion.

.:: B2SIMS.com ::.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
That girl may need some councelling.

Nowadays it's almost like kids are born with an iPad in one hand and a phone in the other, and are fed on social media apps like Insta and Snap and take some Youtube for dessert. They kind of take it all for granted. When my youngest nephew visits, it's not uncommon to see him juggling a phone, iPad, PS4, and a TV almost at the same time, as if there can't be enough screens and electronical devices around. When I was his age, we had a box TV with two or three channels to choose from (and when I was at the age of his little sister, we probably just had one channel), and iPads only existed in reruns of Star Trek on my aunt's TV every summer (they had satellite TV, lucky bastards - we didn't get that until I moved out to go to school ).

I remember listening to a podcast where a guy said he's glad to be born when he was because of this. He was in high school/ college when that type of technology became a thing so he was at the perfect point in life to understand its importance and still be young enough to learn it. With that said, I'm really glad I grew up with all the technology I did. A ton of my favorite memories are of watching YouTube videos with friends, or trading Pokemon on our DSes or playing Minecraft together.
Scholar
#15 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 9:49 PM
I really don't know how to answer this, actually. I think it's a mixed bag for me, but I rarely do really identify myself as a Millennial unless I'm making a joke.

As a teenager, I found myself interested in the music of my parents' generation (1960s/70s) as well as what my grandma liked to listen to (classical) and I became a bit of a snob, thinking I was such a rebel. However, I did listen to and like the modern pop/rock that was coming out up until like 2006. Now I still do listen to classical and pop/rock from the 60s/70s more than anything else, but I don't think I'm special for it or anything... It's just what I prefer, and that's that. But back when I was a teenager, I thought of it as something that did make me special, and I thought it made me identify with earlier generations.

But politically and religiously I did not and still do not. My parents are actually Democrats, but are really quite moderate and are still religious. I'm pretty far to the left and nonreligious. Perhaps this isn't really a generational thing, but the older generations certainly are more religious at least.

Also, the stereotype that Millennials can't live without phones does kind of apply to me. I am glued to it whenever I am out. That being even though I didn't grow up with a cell phone or internet (I did not get my first cell phone until sometime in high school, and did not get internet on the phone until the late 2000s). I most certainly know what life was like back in the early 00s and before, and I much prefer the way things are now. Internet is so easily accessible (and we no longer have dial up, thank god!), and that is great.

On the other hand, I don't really consider myself a 90s kid, and have more nostalgia for media from the early to mid 2000s than I do the 90s, that probably makes me seem younger... But seeing as the boundary for being a Millennial extend several years past when I was born (I'm right in the middle of the classification), younger Millennials would relate more with me, as opposed to the next generation, I think.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 10:54 PM
I'm supposed to be generation X. I blame Douglas Coupland for starting the labeling generations crap. Other than that, we never get mentioned between the millenials and the boomers. Except when there is a lot of 80's nostalgia for no good reason.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 12:07 AM
I don't identify with any generation. I'm me with various behaviours, emotions and beliefs. Online I have been mistaken for male and younger than what I am. I hate the categorisation of people to fit some vague concept - isn't it worse than astrology? Whole generations supposed to fit a stereotype? At least in astrology it's defined by which month you were born not a whole era.
Scholar
#18 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
I don't identify with any generation. I'm me with various behaviours, emotions and beliefs. Online I have been mistaken for male and younger than what I am. I hate the categorisation of people to fit some vague concept - isn't it worse than astrology? Whole generations supposed to fit a stereotype? At least in astrology it's defined by which month you were born not a whole era.

Following that logic, perhaps... But that's not really what Astrology is. Astrology bases entire personalities, relationship pairings, etc. (regardless of what year they were born in, as well, which makes it even worse than generational stereotyping, even in that regard) off of the stars alignment when a person is born. Sorry, but there's no way I can possibly see Astrology as the less absurd one here. Generations at least look at the conditions that a lot of people in the timeframe very likely experienced. You know, things that people from that timeframe likely actually experienced and not...the alignment of stars in the sky when they were born.

(Sorry if I went off too much there, I know you probably weren't defending astrology)

Generational stereotyping of course, doesn't apply to everyone and is in fact too wide, I'd say. As a mid-generation Millennial, I can't really identify with people on the oldest edge of the spectrum, nor the youngest edge of the spectrum like I can people born in the mid to late 80s and very early 90s. Nevertheless, I do see where the generational idea is coming from and think it has much more solid basis than astrology ever could hope for, even if it is far from perfect.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 6:05 PM
Scientist try and sort things into groups and then study the group for generalizations. All Crystals into a group, all liquids, all metals, all non-metals... anthopologist and sociologist even put people into groups. Physicians put people into groups by afflictions.
Why would I identify with a group, tho? I am me, which is both a blessing and a curse. ;-)

Sims are better than us.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw

Oh yeah, I totally agree that for the most part generations don't matter that much, but I was just curious if y'all fit into the stereotypes of you'rs because I do lol.
Scholar
#21 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 1:19 PM
Omg I got called a boomer the other day and for a moment there at 3 am I was totally offended. Anyway I never really thought about it. I'm kind of just there. I do quite like "oh we're dying? Oh well" sort of attitude cos that's always been me.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 1:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMposiast
I'm a Gen X-er. My good friend is also Gen X but he talks so much like a boomer I think he might as well be one. :\ He's four years too young to be a boomer though. However, this same friend keeps insisting I'm a Millennial, even though I've told him various times I'm solidly within Gen X.

A lot of people on MTS are old enough to be Gen X or Boomers, so that would account for the "older style" you're seeing. Hell, even when I text, I still put periods on the ends of all my sentences that don't warrant an exclamation point or question mark, and capitalize normally. So I'm probably more boomerish-seeming when I text. I still identify as Gen X though.

I had to look it up, I'm a gen X.

"This generation has been characterised as being saddled with permanent cynicism."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

80's nostalgia is about the only thing I identify with.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#23 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 4:36 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 1st May 2020 at 7:59 PM.
My weird thing about me (for a millennial) is I'm currently building a mall, which in America is considered hard to profit from because people rather wait and get it delivered.

Mostly the stores would be based off of pop-ups in clothing areas of department stores and most of the stores would cater to mostly millennials.

This is a matter of "evolve or die".

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#24 Old 2nd May 2020 at 4:47 AM
I'm a part of degeneration. But not da generation, degeneration.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry