Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th May 2014 at 8:10 PM
Default Graphics card too new - help with getting game to recognise it?
Hi all

Having had a few CTDs recently, I looked in Crash Log Analyser and it suggested it was a graphics issue. Doing a bit of digging around various help threads I realised the game had probably been defaulting to the onboard graphics and not my NVIDIA card - so I went into the graphics card settings, changed the vertical sync etc as recommended and got it to be the default for Sims 3 - still got the same issue.

And then when I googled for my specific card (GeForce GT 740M) it seems it's too new for the game to recognise. So I found the tutorial at SimsWikia: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...zed_by_the_game and, indeed, it doesn't show in the log as a recognised card. I'd be willing to give the process detailed at the wiki a go to see if this helps, only I have a couple of questions before I do because I didn't find it that clear.

1) The tutorial refers to two different files in the Bin folder. GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr. Only one of my installed EP folders (Late Night for some reason or other - I have all the EPs and SPs) has the GraphicsCards.sgr file but they all have a GraphicsRules.sgr - is that standard? Would I need to modify all the GraphicsRules.sgr files or just one?

2) The tutorial also has a big yellow box at the bottom as a warning for people with dual cards: "If you have dual-GPU, the deviceconfig.log report is no longer accurate. Just go by the GPU vendor's Control Panel's report when you have the game running. If that panel shows TS3W is using the dedicated GPU, then you're good to go. You can safely ignore whatever the deviceconfig.log claims" - in the light of this, how does that affect the instructions in the tutorial?

Hoping someone can help and that this makes sense!

Legacies, news, stories, challenges and various other bits of waffle... Rad's Sims Stuff