Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 4:06 PM
Default Roof gardens?
Has anyone figured out a way to have functional gardens on the roof?
Advertisement
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 6:50 PM
Have you tried using cheats to place the plants? (I am not at my game right now or I'd test this myself.)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 11:48 AM
You have to use the 'moveobjects on' cheat to place plants that have been planted onto the roof. It's a bit of a pain, since it does mean anytime they die, you have to have sims plant the replacements on the ground, then use the cheat to put them on the roof, but it works. I've also used the plants in the 'buydebug' area successfully for roof gardens when just building.

The other problem is that sprinklers will leave puddles around on a roof, that will drive neat sims absolutely crazy and send them on mopping sprees, but they also do go onto the roof with the moveobjects cheat if wanted.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 11:56 AM
It works perfectly well if you use the "moveObjects on" cheat while using the command "plant". Afterwards you can switch back to "mO off". Your sims will take care and fertilise and harvest without any problems. The only issue: when you use the autowatering sprinkler there will stay puddles on the floor. I don't care about that, but I'm sure the maid would clean up if you don't like them. Btw - it looks great to have a roof garden. Wanted to try if it works on platforms, too. That would give an even more realistic touch, like plants in buckets. Good luck!
edit: Sorry, two persons, one answer, bakafox was quicker
Field Researcher
#5 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 12:38 PM
I didn't know about them being able to actually plant them with moveobjects though! I learned something new too! yay!
dodgy builder
#6 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 1:09 PM
Simsjeanie: do they really plant it themselves if you have the moveobjects on cheat on?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 2:42 PM Last edited by simsjeanie : 4th Jan 2011 at 3:20 PM. Reason: added pics
Yes, they do. Usually you go in the inventory then click on a fruit and chose "plant". Then you have to drop it on the floor to show your sim where to plant it. With moveObject on it is no problem at all. Once you have "signed" the spot - just the way you do that on a ground - your sim will do the rest. I've tried it many times before and just tried yesterday with Late Night installed. Same with the omni plant or any other seeds. (I would have no fun if it wasn't possible to grow perfect fruit.)
I've build a "houseboat" some time ago and my simmie had a great harvest on the deck (= foundation). Would be too sad if they couldn't get the wonderful moodlet points for perfect food only because they weren't lucky enough to live on the countryside ...
And - btw - these flamefruit looks gorgeous at night on a terrace! It's the perfect illumination. When you plant them in a special scedule day after day you'll have that nice light night by night!
Happy gardening!

http://s770.photobucket.com/albums/...mview=slideshow
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 5:59 PM
Thank you very much to everyone who answered