Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1739
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 21 (Who?), Viewed: 2311 times.
Search this Thread
Old 30th Mar 2020, 6:23 PM DefaultDo you believe in love at first sight? #1
hasakibydaxua
Original Poster

Test Subject

Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1


Do you believe in love at first sight, if so, please tell me why: D
Old 30th Mar 2020, 7:33 PM #2
HarVee
Mad Poster

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,296
Thanks: 254 in 4 Posts
5 Achievements


What is love?

My Soundcloud, where I upload some things I make.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 8:00 PM #3
Johnny_Bravo
Alchemist

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,933
Thanks: 8441 in 69 Posts
14 Achievements

View My Journal


Baby don't hurt me

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
__________
Need help building? We'll help.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 8:02 PM #4
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,264
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
3 Achievements


I think you can figure out you like someone at first sight (well, first time you meet, anyway), but love comes later (or maybe not).
Old 30th Mar 2020, 8:18 PM #5
PANDAQUEEN
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,964


I think Disney's change of stance in 2013 is more realistic.

Elsa: You can't marry someone you just met.

Funny, you don't know what you got til it's gone.

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Old 31st Mar 2020, 2:18 PM #6
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,264
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
3 Achievements


^ Considering several of the Disney movies technically don't have a "love at first sight" issue (the characters often dislike/hate each other, come to like each other, and end up married in the end), I'd say Anna is the one who rushed it the most and was more unrealistic than a lot of the others. Most of the other stories have a slightly more realistic "get to know each other" period, while if for some a bit short, at least it doesn't last through a single song that ends in "we're getting married after having gotten to know each other for literally just 5 minutes". But at least Disney acknowledged it's probably best to properly get to know the person you're head over heels in love with before getting married (because he/she could end up being a creep ).
Old 31st Mar 2020, 5:15 PM #7
PANDAQUEEN
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,964


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
^ Considering several of the Disney movies technically don't have a "love at first sight" issue (the characters often dislike/hate each other, come to like each other, and end up married in the end), I'd say Anna is the one who rushed it the most and was more unrealistic than a lot of the others. Most of the other stories have a slightly more realistic "get to know each other" period, while if for some a bit short, at least it doesn't last through a single song that ends in "we're getting married after having gotten to know each other for literally just 5 minutes". But at least Disney acknowledged it's probably best to properly get to know the person you're head over heels in love with before getting married (because he/she could end up being a creep ).


Hans was trying to seize Arendelle, because being the youngest of 13 brothers, he would have been sent to a monastery. So yes, he was a creep, especially for attempting to kill both Anna and Elsa.

With Kristoff, at the end of the first one, they were akin to lovers (boyfriend\girlfriend) and they spent the most time together and Kristoff rationalizes with Anna why she shouldn't marry Hans during the early leg of the journey going into details, and she ends up realizing in the very end that Hans wasn't the one.

About the monastery bit...
Fact: If the king of a sizeable kingdom in Europe felt like he couldn't evenly divide power among the elder brothers and younger brothers, he would have sent the younger ones to a monastery. However, most monks were anything but pious. Think of monasteries as being more like early frat houses.

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 31st Mar 2020 at 5:22 PM. Reason: Clarity and grammar
Old 31st Mar 2020, 11:12 PM #8
Bigsimsfan12
Mad Poster

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,085
Thanks: 41 in 1 Posts
2 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
I think you can figure out you like someone at first sight (well, first time you meet, anyway), but love comes later (or maybe not).

I came here to say this, lol.

I remember the first time I met my partner. He was putting milk in the milk machine at work. I thought he had nice strong shoulders

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Old 31st Mar 2020, 11:25 PM #9
Emmett Brown
Top Secret Researcher

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,577


Two subjects really: mutual love at first sight and one sided love at first sight. The latter is likely, the former is improbable. It also has to do with what we learned is attractive. People who share similar backgrounds and values may have learned to present themselves the same way.

Sims are better than us.
Old 31st Mar 2020, 11:31 PM #10
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,264
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
3 Achievements


^ I think when it comes to spotting a potential partner it's more like "feeling attraction to someone at first sight" than "loving at first sight". You can absolutely feel attraction to someone (even mutual) the first time you meet, but I don't think it's actual love at first.

The only ones who kind of do feel love at first sight are new mothers and fathers (well, if it isn't love at first sight or love that comes gradually, then most end up at least liking their kids... or tolerating them...) - and in a way that's also one-sided for a little while (a newborn baby is happy as long as it's fed, clean, and safe - doesn't matter that much whether the provider of needs being met is mom, dad or someone else the first few weeks/months)

You can however love food, items, music, color, etc. at "first sight", because it's a matter of personal taste, and there's no need for the item to love you back (this kind of love can grow stronger, but it can also dissapear with time - but it's still one-sided).
Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Apr 2020 at 1:27 AM.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 12:02 AM #11
fascisthater
Site Helper

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 545
Thanks: 401 in 17 Posts
9 Achievements


Yes-absolutely I saw a couple of donuts I fell in love with at first site and loved them to the last bite. You can love a new car, new house, or pretty much any inanimate object because you don't invest in them or blame them as much when they disappoint you as you do a person.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 12:27 PM #12
pico22
Forum Resident

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 782
Thanks: 1 in 1 Posts


Yes, because it happened to me.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 2:14 PM #13
KatyFernlily
Scholar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,552


I believe in love at first sight but that it stems from the physiological functions/instincts that all living organisms have. If we didn't have these functions, more than likely, we would not exist.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2...ght_a_21435275/
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 2:26 PM #14
haywud
Top Secret Researcher

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,824


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarVee
What is love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Bravo
Baby don't hurt me

Don't hurt me, no more

On topic, no, I don't. Love doesn't even exist for me, there is no such thing.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 11:11 PM #15
PANDAQUEEN
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,964


Quote:
Originally Posted by haywud
Don't hurt me, no more

On topic, no, I don't. Love doesn't even exist for me, there is no such thing.


Try looking deep inside...

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Old 16th Apr 2020, 8:26 PM #16
Zennia
Field Researcher

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 264


Love at first sight comes with lots of danger because it's based of fleeting feelings and attractions, without knowing anything about that person. Most times without knowing yourself, as well
Old 25th Apr 2020, 6:20 PM #17
VerDeTerre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,826


I believe in attraction at first sight. Love is something that develops over time and with nurturing. Initially, this is an "other" person, but over time, with shared experiences, this person becomes less "other" and more an integrated part of your family. Hopefully, this is someone who you feel has your back and you have theirs. The feeling or quality of love changes with time. That first wave of excitement fades and real feelings develop in its place.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 12:57 AM #18
yavannatw
Top Secret Researcher

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,866
Thanks: 929 in 22 Posts
11 Achievements


For me only with some actors - new actors I haven't seen before, my reaction has been akin to a swoon, then watching only that person in every scene, taking note of his name and looking for more movies with him in it. On a personal level, no.
Old 28th Apr 2020, 4:17 PM #19
socialevil
Test Subject

Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 5


I met my wife with such a first sight!
Old 26th Oct 2020, 1:11 PM
GarryB
This message has been deleted by HugeLunatic.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 3:28 PM #20
Justpetro
Mad Poster

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 7,584
Thanks: 1434 in 46 Posts
27 Achievements


I met my husband on a Friday night in a city I did not know, visiting people I did not know (I went with a good friend who wanted to visit her sister and did not want to drive alone).

He smiled. It was a head over heels moment for me.

We were married until death parted us.

So, yes
Old 27th Oct 2020, 9:06 AM #21
Mirin Sagesato
Test Subject

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 48
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
^ I think when it comes to spotting a potential partner it's more like "feeling attraction to someone at first sight" than "loving at first sight". You can absolutely feel attraction to someone (even mutual) the first time you meet, but I don't think it's actual love at first.

The only ones who kind of do feel love at first sight are new mothers and fathers (well, if it isn't love at first sight or love that comes gradually, then most end up at least liking their kids... or tolerating them...) - and in a way that's also one-sided for a little while (a newborn baby is happy as long as it's fed, clean, and safe - doesn't matter that much whether the provider of needs being met is mom, dad or someone else the first few weeks/months)

You can however love food, items, music, color, etc. at "first sight", because it's a matter of personal taste, and there's no need for the item to love you back (this kind of love can grow stronger, but it can also dissapear with time - but it's still one-sided).


Yes. First there’s the awkward mutual crushes that seem like a relationship to an outsider

Then slowly you realize you actually do love each other and it is not just unfounded obsession or pressure to have a love interest.
Old 27th Oct 2020, 8:40 PM
angine
This message has been deleted by HugeLunatic.
Old 28th Oct 2020, 8:34 PM #22
PANDAQUEEN
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,964


My personal stance. I check out anything incriminating before I should consider moving forward. If I disagree with the evidence like they have, say would disrespect my family, I dump them from the data..

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.