Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2020 at 11:04 PM Last edited by murfee : 8th Sep 2020 at 2:23 PM.
Default Tree colors in Fall/Autumn--are they random? [Answer: Sorta]
Yes, I'm in a fiddling around sort of mood, messing with crap like I know what I'm doing.

I made some tree default retextures, but noticed that when the trees start losing their leaves during the Fall/Autumn the colors change--usually to bright AF neon orange/yellow/red/etc. But I don't WANT mine to change color -- or at least not those colors.

I'm looking around for the texture files I assumed would be somewhere in the SSNS texture files (where the winter textures are), or the fullbuild/deltabuild files, but am I blind? Cuz I'm not seeing them??

The winter tree textures are naked and all-white from snow-cover, but I'm not seeing their neon yellow/red/orange fall colors anywhere.

Does anyone know where the file is that affects fall/autumn tree colors?
(ISTG if it's another color ramp file....)
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 27th Aug 2020 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by murfee
Yes, I'm in a fiddling around sort of mood, messing with crap like I know what I'm doing.

I made some tree default retextures, but noticed that when the trees start losing their leaves during the Fall/Autumn the colors change--usually to bright AF neon orange/yellow/red/etc. But I don't WANT mine to change color -- or at least not those colors.

I'm looking around for the texture files I assumed would be somewhere in the SSNS texture files (where the winter textures are), or the fullbuild/deltabuild files, but am I blind? Cuz I'm not seeing them??

The winter tree textures are naked and all-white from snow-cover, but I'm not seeing their neon yellow/red/orange fall colors anywhere.

Does anyone know where the file is that affects fall/autumn tree colors?
(ISTG if it's another color ramp file....)
AFIAK, it's... *drumrolls* shaders again :p

So what the game does, is it picks up the white textures of the trees. Then a shader basically assignes the colour that it needs to have. Or it uses the actual tree textures but saturates it to an more autumn-y colour. So kind of like photoshopping inside the game :p

So what I'd do is just change the contrast on a tree that happens to have this brightness going on. And check that on both the actual diffuse texture or the winter textures with the white tree. 
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 2:23 PM
UGH.

That makes a lot of sense. I hate it.