Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

AL Multi-Mailbox for Non-Apartment Use, with Universal Buyable Mailbox

by Sophie-David Posted 27th Jul 2010 at 5:19 AM - Updated 30th Jul 2010 at 5:26 PM by Sophie-David : Updated with Windows 7 information

64 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 54 Feedback Posts, 9 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#51 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 1:47 AM
For some reason it won't let me install the file where its supposed to go and everything is installed correctly. Any Ideas? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Theorist
Original Poster
#52 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Twinkletoes295
For some reason it won't let me install the file where its supposed to go and everything is installed correctly. Any Ideas? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Possibly the operating system privileges is preventing access? You need to have administrator level access to copy files to the BINS folder.

Which operating system are you using, and what configuration of Sims 2? For example, Sims 2 Deluxe, or the new free download?

You could simply install the patch in Downloads, but you would have to be really careful never to delete the mailbox from the catalogue or bad things could occur.
Test Subject
#53 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 9:58 PM
I just installed your mod exactly like you said but I can not find the mailbox anywhere to be able to place it on my lot.
Theorist
Original Poster
#54 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 5:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LiLSapphire
I just installed your mod exactly like you said but I can not find the mailbox anywhere to be able to place it on my lot.
Hi LiLSapphire

I just downloaded and installed the buyable mailbox from here to refresh my memory. It should appear in Misc/Misc at a cost of §0. What version of the Sims 2 basegame do you have, i.e. the standard basegame or Sims 2 Deluxe, or something else?

What path did you install the package to? For example, I have Sims 2 Deluxe on this Windows 7 computer, so the installation path is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins\

David
Test Subject
#55 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 7:17 PM
I have the Sims 2 ultimate collection I installed it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bin
Since Ultimate is a DL on Origin it appears in Origin games not the EA Games
Theorist
Original Poster
#56 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 1:56 AM
I have the Sims 2 ultimate collection I installed it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bin
Since Ultimate is a DL on Origin it appears in Origin games not the EA Games
The path you are using makes sense to me, but unfortunately I do not have the Ultimate Collection, so I cannot help you any further with that. I do notice that you copied it to BIN rather than BINS. Is that just a typo, or is that the real path? Basegame and all the EPs use a BINS folder, but it may be that the Ultimate Collection is different.

Perhaps one of our other MTS members can let us know if they had any success with this mod and the Ultimate Collection?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#57 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 5:52 PM
was just a typo sorry. I do have all the discs as I purchased the games as they came out. I just took the free ultimate collection because doing 1 dl was easier then doing separate discs. Thanks for trying to help.
Theorist
Original Poster
#58 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 1:29 AM
was just a typo sorry. I do have all the discs as I purchased the games as they came out. I just took the free ultimate collection because doing 1 dl was easier then doing separate discs. Thanks for trying to help.
This is just a shot in the dark, and you may have run out of patience by now! But I was just thinking that some folks have said that BIN mods should go in the latest BINS folder rather than the earliest (there used to be a bit of a debate about it). It might be worth installing sdBuyableMailbox.package to the M&G BINS path rather than the Base.
Retired Live Chat Moderator
#59 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 5:29 AM
If I was going to put this in my UC game, for me the first location I'd expect it to work would be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins

I don't have an Origin Games folder at all, even tho my UC is an Origin download. Not sure why so many differences.

Anyway I think this is a great idea... the first place I ever had my own little mail box was in college, and I still remember the hopeful feeling approaching the wall of mailboxes, hoping some little treat would be inside mine when I opened the cute little door.

These should've been on dorm lots all along if you ask me!
Theorist
Original Poster
#60 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 9:40 PM
Deedee's comment was posted a while ago. I am curious is anyone has this working in the Ultimate Collection?
Test Subject
#61 Old 4th Nov 2019 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
Deedee's comment was posted a while ago. I am curious is anyone has this working in the Ultimate Collection?

Hi! The right path for origin's UC is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins"
Theorist
Original Poster
#62 Old 13th Nov 2019 at 12:03 AM
Thank you so much, geldecabelo. That will be really helpful for Ultimate Collection users.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 7th Mar 2020 at 12:22 AM
Hi, I had the sdMailboxALpatchDormGreek version in my game for a while and all was fine until one of my dormies went to check the mail one day and kept erroring out. Once I removed the mod, it turned out he'd been sent a meal voucher after a date. I know this is a really old mod now, but any chance you'd be able to fix it? I liked having the apartment mailbox at the dorm!
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 10:27 PM
This didn't work for me, even though I tried it in several different files just in case (I have Ultimate Collection). Great idea though.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 29th Oct 2023 at 5:12 PM
Just in case I am not the only one so confused! the actual BUYABLE mailbox doesn't go in Downloads, but in C//whatever your newest pack is (mine is M&G)/TSdata/Res/catalog/bins you do have to have "admin permission". The creator has told why it goes in Downloads.

And the "patch" (which I would have thought would have gone in Cdrive) goes in DOWNLOADS!) I had a problem when built apartment lots - the residential mailbox would not turn into the group mailbox. I only wanted group mailboxes in apts and dorms so this is the one I put in downloads. Which also seemed wrong - didn't Maxis make those 2 lots ALREADY requiring group boxes?!
But when I went to my apartment, the residential mailbox had turned into the correct apartment mailbox. So I didn't even need to put the buyable mailbox there.
PS the buyable mail box is under misc/misc (as he said); The PICTURE is a residential box, but if you click on it, it IS a group box.

So his name for these things "..for non-apartment use" is also misleading.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Page 3 of 3