Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jan 2021 at 9:04 PM
Default Repositoried skintone problem
I picked up some showerproof skintones for the Well Rounded female sim and I want to swap out the textures with my own. I have done this before with no problem, I understand the process of doing skintone swapping. But I am running into a problem with these particular skins because they are repositoried. When I try to export the textures in Body Shop it throws up the error of having a "problem exporting the textures". I have never worked with anything repositoried before so my question is: Is there a step I am missing? I tried contacting the author at the site but the comments have been disabled for SPAM reasons which I understand. Would much appreciate some help if possible. Here is the page for more info: https://the-acme-catalog.dreamwidth.org/1434.html
Thanks
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Jan 2021 at 9:35 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Jan 2021 at 9:56 PM.
Are you sure you have also downloaded the "master" files? Bodyshop will need the skin resources available in your Downloads folder to pull the textures from, or it just errors out.

Bodyshop won't create repositoried skins or do anything fancy with them - the ones you'll get in return will at the most be showerproofed to the meshes and pull the skin textures from the master files (if you can get it to work, that is).

Easiest way to create a (non-repo'd) showerproof skin would be to find a non-repo'd showerproofed skin to recolor. If you want resources from a particular skin, you can extract resources from any skin with SimPE or Bodyshop to use with your project and then recolor or retexture it. If you want to repository it afterward, you kind of have to, because Bodyshop can't do it for you.

Could be an idea to check out the tutorial.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jan 2021 at 9:54 PM
According to the author it says that I will need the Maxis originals for them to work. I have the original default base game textures as well as the Maxis Insta-Skin Set from the site and the skintones work fine in game.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Jan 2021 at 9:59 PM
Looks like you need the "Maxis Insta-Skin Set" download. Looks like that's what the files are repo'd to, so I think it's what they meant (maybe just phrased a bit awkwardly, because I first thought they meant the original maxis skins, too)

Bodyshop is kinda finnicky. If it detects one texture file it doesn't like, it's "nope, doesn't want" and goes full-on error mode. Exactly what is causing the error is a bit difficult to know if the skins work fine ingame. Could just be a bad reference somewhere that really doesn't matter ingame.

Have you tried different skins (dark, tan, athletic, well-rounded, etc.), and do they all cause this error when you try make projects with them? Or just one or two?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jan 2021 at 4:26 AM
I downloaded the Well Rounded skins at first and they didn't work so I went back to the site and did some re-reading and downloaded the Maxis Insta-Skin Set. That allowed the Well Rounded skins to work in game and in Body Shop. I tried extracting the 4 skintones from the Well Rounded and then the Maxis sets and each one gave me the same error. The only work around I can think of is to maybe replace each texture file one by one in SimPE. I don't know if that's possible but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment. If it is a bad reference would you have a suggestion as to where and what to look for in SimPE?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Jan 2021 at 1:10 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Jan 2021 at 4:38 PM.
Looking a bit closer at the files, there is a very random "yfhairmohawkspike_black" propertyset in there - seemingly for YF. That file doesn't belong to a skin under normal circumstances. You could try removing it and see what happens. I'm guessing it's there for the sake of YF hair or some such, but I think that's why Bodyshop is erroring out. It probably stutters when it realizes there's a random hair PropertySet in a skin file. I haven't looked close enough to figure it out, there's probably a reason.

As for why the files show up fine elsewhere, I'm guessing the files would have no problems showing up fine ingame and in Bodyshop, at least until you try making a project with them. Bodyshop probably doesn't know what to do with extra hair resources in a skin (outside of the ones supposed to be there).

These would most likely need some fixing before Bodyshop can use them for projects. The easiest would probably be to find a different skin linked to these meshes and recolor those - or recolor a skin and link the (proper) 3DIRs to the meshes.

Are you trying to make a new recolor/retexture of the skins that are linked to the showerproof meshes, or are you converting a different skin, or doing something else?

Just asking, because depending on what you're doing, there could be much easier methods to do this if Bodyshop refuses to cooperate.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jan 2021 at 4:23 PM
I just started using the Well Rounded female that I found here at MTS but it didn't have a showerproof skin so when the sim took a shower it defaulted to the regular sim body. I found this Insta-Skin for the WRS that is a showerproof skin and I wasn't too happy with the skintones provided and wanted to do my own skins with it. If you know of any showerproof skins for this body it would be much appreciated. I am going to try removing the hair reference in SimPE to see if that helps. Odd that there would be a reference of any kind to YF when the meshes are for the AF and TF sims.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Jan 2021 at 4:32 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Jan 2021 at 4:45 PM.
When you make a skin recolor for a showerproof skin, it doesn't really matter which skin textures the bases have, because those can be swapped out. If you have the meshes, you should be able to make any skin into a showerproof skin if you don't mind some editing in SimPE. You need the top/bottom meshes, and the skin you want to showerproof (if the skin is one that needs remapping for some parts, like feet/hands, you may need to edit those parts of the skin, though). There's a couple variations of tutorials here:

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=89397
https://modthesims.info/t/325356 (post 4 - same as Bloom's linked below with some minor edits/changes to the text)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Jan 2021 at 10:26 PM
I removed the hair from the property set and that seemed to do the trick. I was able to extract textures from the WRS set. However I'm still going to check out the links you provided so I have a better understanding of how things work. Thank you for your help.