Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Dec 2020 at 5:23 PM
TS3 players - MediaFire is about to purge "inactive" accounts in January, backup your CC
i hate to post what is essentially the same thread in two different subforums but since this is urgent and it just occurred to me it's going to hit this game hard too - in january 2021, mediafire is wiping all files from "inactive" users that haven't logged into their accounts for 8 months, including tons of old cc. save what you can and back it up somewhere. here's a source, if you want more rambling look at the thread i posted in the ts2 subforum. didn't realize that maybe there are people who don't play sims 2 o_o

i haven't played ts3 nearly as much and i genuinely have no clue where most of you people gather to talk about this game now (nraas?), go spread the word on tumblr and discord i guess
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 5:25 AM
This is helpful information, thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by prengle
i genuinely have no clue where most of you people gather to talk about this game now (nraas?), go spread the word on tumblr and discord i guess

We are the game's outcasts and misfits. Players tend to hang out around the back parking lots of Dairy Queens (or the equivalent) long after they've closed and convenience store dumpsters, trying to sell herbs and black market gourmet coffee beans to innocent passersby and each other. I for one am not going out there to spread the word, no matter how valuable that would be.
Scholar
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 4:20 PM
There isn't even a TS3 devoted discord server. Just a channel on The Sims and Friends.

Pssst Igazor? Wanna start an NRAAS discord server?? It'll be fuuuun!

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tunafishfish
Pssst Igazor? Wanna start an NRAAS discord server?? It'll be fuuuun!

Sounds like a lot of work to maintain and moderate to me. How much would I get paid? Would the position come with a cool new uniform?

Or more seriously, would there really be a need for such a thing?
Scholar
#6 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Sounds like a lot of work to maintain and moderate to me. How much would I get paid? Would the position come with a cool new uniform?

Or more seriously, would there really be a need for such a thing?

I'm a mod on the Deaderpool server and I can tell you that we get questions/interest in TS3 and TS3 mods, especially since I've been open about playing and getting back into it. I've had to do what little TS3 trouble shooting I can do since I have picked up some tips and tricks in my life, but it's not the same as having a server I can refer people to. Some of the younger players are hesitant to post on forums like MTS or the NRAAS for unknown reasons, but they love messaging on discord which is basically 21st Century AOL. (I've gotten Zoomers being like "wow you really learned discord quick!" and I'm like, "you think you invented the chat room?!")

Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 6:39 PM
LOL...you can give them my Compuserve userid number and they can reach/chat me on the forums there if they want.

I get it that message board posting is asynchronous and with chats you get more of the feeling of having a realtime conversation or at least the potential for one. This actually does sound like a good idea and I'd be happy to participate in some way, but not to run the place. Am spread out a bit too thin as it is. But it's pretty amazing to even be considering such a thing for a game with this many years behind it.
Scholar
#8 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 10:26 PM
Compuserve! That takes me back... to elementary school!

You could broach the subject back at NRAAS headquarters and see who is interested in helping run the joint. If you would like to take a look at how various sims servers do things I can DM you a list to look over.

Forum Resident
#9 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 11:30 PM
A bunch of us have a working Google doc of what we're able to save from GoS started by Fire flower if anyone has a chance to hop in and help! The doc has spots for TS2, 3, and 4.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Rs1Y/edit#gid=0

aka fir3princ3ss
My Youtube Channel
Currently playing:
-Medieval Charter Challenge on The Sims 2
-Ye Olde Royal Kingdom Challenge on The Sims 3
Alchemist
#10 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 11:47 PM
literally screams

what does his name even mean?
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Dec 2020 at 12:50 AM
Here is another spreadsheet dedicated to listing creators that has their content saved from the purge! Please, feel free to contribute
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rWOc/edit#gid=0
Scholar
#12 Old 23rd Dec 2020 at 1:38 AM
I logged in and messed around with my SIms 2 files. Does that mean my account will be considered active? Or should I take extra care and find another host for them?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Dec 2020 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
We are the game's outcasts and misfits. Players tend to hang out around the back parking lots of Dairy Queens (or the equivalent) long after they've closed and convenience store dumpsters, trying to sell herbs and black market gourmet coffee beans to innocent passersby and each other. I for one am not going out there to spread the word, no matter how valuable that would be.

i wouldn't even keep ts3 around on my hard drive if nraas wasn't a thing, so i guess the dairy queen drug cartel must be doing SOMETHING right.....
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
I logged in and messed around with my SIms 2 files. Does that mean my account will be considered active? Or should I take extra care and find another host for them?

to be precise: if you log into your verified, free account at least once every eight months, it should be considered "active" by mediafire. i would recommend uploading your stuff to multiple file hosts anyway because all of them pull crap like this. honestly i don't even know if mediafire truly is purging everything this time, they still haven't made a public statement, but obviously i'd rather be safe than sorry
Forum Resident
#14 Old 28th Dec 2020 at 5:24 PM
Situations like this are why I don't understand why anyone still uses Mediafire to host their files. The bulk of free file sharing websites aren't that great, but MF takes the cake. Doing purges like this, taking down files for copyright claims that have nothing to do with the supposed claim, etc. They're basically becoming the Tumblr of file sharing services.

SFS isn't perfect, but I'd much rather have things hosted there, knowing they'll still be there if I want to download it later.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
dodgy builder
#15 Old 3rd Jan 2021 at 2:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Situations like this are why I don't understand why anyone still uses Mediafire to host their files. The bulk of free file sharing websites aren't that great, but MF takes the cake. Doing purges like this, taking down files for copyright claims that have nothing to do with the supposed claim, etc. They're basically becoming the Tumblr of file sharing services.

SFS isn't perfect, but I'd much rather have things hosted there, knowing they'll still be there if I want to download it later.

Me too. I logged into my mediafire and realized I had Luna stuff there. An advantage with simsfileshare, it's run be sims people who are more likely to know what happened to Luna and what rules to comply with. Mediafire is likely to know very little.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 5:10 PM
So, did this end up not happening? Or did Mediafire not do as big of a purge as they implied or something?

I was backing up CC from various creators yesterday that I know have been inactive for much longer than 8 months, and all of it was still there. I figure they would've been gone by now.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 6:47 PM
Looks like I was purged.
Scholar
#18 Old 31st Jan 2021 at 2:31 AM
I went in soon after this thread appeared and opened every one of my folders and touched every one of my files (all recolors for Sims 2, some of which look bad to me now & some of which look good to me). They're still here today.

Daisylee, did you download copies of your files?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 31st Jan 2021 at 5:59 AM
They have purged my account I think as did not do anything for so long. It is OK as I cannot even remember what was there. Anything I would have uploaded to there I got from me so have somewhere if ever need.