Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 8:14 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 3rd Feb 2021 at 8:35 PM.
Default Dealing with orphaned teens/teen parents
First of all, If you are sensitive about killing sims and teen pregnancy, this may not be best thread for you, so please be aware of that.

I play through all residents in my worlds, kind of like TS2 rotations but more flexible/simulated with Nraas Master Controller, where I decide individually when sims move out, have kids etc (never liked Legacies or playing a few households only). To spice it up, I prefer playing with randomness (using rolls for major events) and "semi-realistically" (inspired by real life, but adjust to the game mechanism, so things like aliens exist, but same-sex pregnancies do not), but I prefer each sim to have at least one child in their life, so I ignore death rolls for children and younger.

But this always end up having tons of orphans and teen parents, which are in human age 13-17 years old. I think I currently have 50% of Teens and Young adults and only a handful of Adults, barely any elders and the rest are children! and I've a rule where I'm not allow to move in service sims or add new sims. The world is currently in its 5th generation. My world is set almost century after Sunset Valley. Mortimer Goth is currently 90 years old (but I moved the sims to a different bigger world), so I suppose the era is a few decades away from our human era.

But I don't find it realistic to let adolescent/young teen parents live their "trying to act like grown ups" life in expensive mansion and all of their parents heritage by themself so I'm trying find a balance by restricting the ages when it comes jobs, economy, parenting etc,

But I do not want to put them in foster homes or orphanages, so any ideas how to deal with teens without any relatives? (basically most grandparents and parents are diseased).

Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 9:15 PM
Niteromon, I have Nraas SP, but I go through each households too quickly it does not really affect the orphans. I did have that happen in previous saves, but I've micromanage the settings so many things happens manually. They can progress with job and money without my intervening too much, though. But I prefer to control pregnancies and moving sims around.

My Rolls are these btw:
When a sim is born I roll 20-100 to determine how long life they live, some poor ones only live to 25, but I find that rather realistical when not everyone live until their 80s.

Every 5 days, I do another 1-10 rolls
1) Sim has to quit job/homeschooled 2) Become an Occult 3) Unwanted Pregnancy 4) Join the Military (10% risks of daily death) 6) Become Sick
7. Promoted/Higher Grader 8) Assault (should not talk about that one on here due to the rules on women violence) 9) Murder 10) Natural Death

For each day, I roll 10% pregnancy (my method with fertility). If sim get pregnant, I roll again 10 for childbirth, 3/6 Miscarriage, 9 Infertility (they have the child but cant get pregnant again, kind of life first child syndrome) and 1 for abortions. Miscarriage and Abortions has same risks, death by complication and infertility.

and I use Nraas Master Controller to adjust each household depending on the rolls. So a Sim can live anywhere between 10 (if unfortunate pregnancy rolls) to 100 years. I find this give me a more balance of death and birth rates, where some sims dies young while other dies of very old age. Currently I only 3 elders who has lived to their 80s, where most died in their 40-60s in human age.

Females in my game can be pregnant between 10 and 59 years old, so they have plenty of sim-days to get pregnant, but the max is 6 kids per sim . I extended the teen stage to 10-19, because pre-teen romances do happens in real life! I also randomize ideal kids 0 to 6 and devide it by two to determine how many kids they *might* end up with.

My rolls are heavy inspired by the Random challenge, which is why I added these rolls. Make the sims life chooses less stereotyped/similar for each sim.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
What mod are you using to do this? I would love something like this in my game because they all just run on the same age span.

I just use Spreedsheets and Random.org/integers, not mods, where I write down their last names, name, age, "lifespan expectancy", LTW and Career plus the rolls.

For example:
# Goth-Crumplebottom+Bachelor 3/5 Kids Alexander - 45 AD1 (66) Medicine Career Retired/Sick
(He had a roll where he was "sick" for 4 days and not allowed to work. I just put him in the retired track and make sure he didn't got a new job.)

...although I do wish TS3 had a mod that allow to adjust the elders lifespan. TS2 had shrubs where you can see how many days they had left after turning into elders.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 9:28 PM
lol... Ive almost THREE HUNDRED sims in my spreedsheets (although a few dozen are waiting for their death rolls. I try to maintain the population to 250. Miss that from TS2 where I had 1000 playables in one huge uberhood. Can't do that on TS3 without crashing/lagging ).

I use Master controller Immediate and Advance - Adjust age or Force kill. The total lifespan in my game is about 100 (1 day = 1 Year), so elders has 40 simdays, but then I kill them off when I see it's their time on my spreedsheets which I update regulary. This method is very time consuming, but I'm kind of a control freak.

EDIT: To keep the thread on the topic. My game dilemma is adjusting the sims life styles according their age/traits/lifetime wants, because when I played TS2, I ended up having them live on empty residental lots for 10 generation, which I why Im trying to deal with orphans differently.

But I might consider moving them to a friend or cousin. Many have some aunts and uncles, but they are usually busy with their own family because I don't like TOO big households.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 10:03 PM
I usually use a residental houses that are big enough to hold 3-5 bunkbeds and if I've an eldery single, I move her/him to take care of them. But because I don't have that many adults and elders, I prefer priority orphaned infants and toddlers to live with them until they are around 16-18. But after they become teens, I loose ideas because I'm not much of kid person in real life and not familiar when it comes to minors rights around the world.

I have not play TS3 long enough to know how non-active sims would behave if I put them on empty residental lots. Everytime SP tells me that two sims has engaged/intention to marry, I keep getting notifications that they wish to move or that their current house is not big enough for all sims. I turned the house inspection off, but I constantly get nags about sims trying to find a new place, even when I disable SP moving:

I currently only added one simbot who is married to one of the residents. The previous owner wanted to build simbots (but has now passed away). I try loosely decide based on their traits and lifetime wants...although a sim hating kids end up having several out of wedlocks are not uncommon in my game.

When the population exceed 250, I ended doing more death rolls. Never been overly fixated over invidual sims because they don't live so long, so I've never had issues with killing sims IF I've a reason for it (such as life event rolls, not the TS2 route by removing ladders).