Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 3:19 PM Last edited by kerri191 : 31st Mar 2024 at 3:25 PM. Reason: added additional info
Default Homecrafter Plus not previewing textures
Let me start by saying that even without this feature, I created a new floor and it showed up just fine in-game. So, I suppose this is more of an annoyance than a program-breaking problem. Nonetheless, I'd like to see if there's a fix because I've used the program in the past on another computer and not had this problem.

The problem is this:

Specifically, the big empty box on the left where I should see a larger preview of whatever texture I'm working with. That screenshot was obtained by using the clone option on that Maxi's texture. However, I get the same result if I choose to create a new texture.

I've tried to preview walls, floors, and ground textures. Tried clone and new content. I've Restarted the pc, reinstalled Homecrafter, tried various compatibility settings, deleted my cache files - same result. Also, I only have five CC floors currently, but I did remove them and no change.

I downloaded Homecrafter from the official site archive on MTS. I'm running Windows 10. My graphics rules and video card are correct in the game files. I have a dedicated graphics card - AMD radeon r9 380. Not new by anyone's standards, but it gets the job done. It's from roughly 2015. My drivers are up-to-date.

The only thing different about this installation of my game than any I've done in the last 10 years is that it's the Sims2RPC installation from here (EA lost my Origin account and therefore, my copy of the UC and every other purchase I made with them. We're not on speaking terms.)

I hate admitting defeat, but I'm stumped. Could there be a fix or this just an old program getting more and more out-of-date?
Screenshots

AKA. Anora Acadian
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 5:17 PM
1: Do you use the "ld_BrightCASFix" mod? That one can cause some issues with homecrafter (usually a pink window like with pink-flashing, but I'd assume an empty window could also be a possibility). If you use the mod, temporarily move it out when using Homecrafter, and put it back in when you're done.

2: Make sure you use textures that have "power of 2" sizes, so 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, (256x512 or 512x1024 for walls). Only exception is that walls can work as half-sizes (for Windows games, NOT for Mac!) - I think it is 256x768 that works. Anything other than this could cause issues (250x500 is not an accepted size).

3: Saved format - if you save the texture file as the wrong format, it won't work.

4: Homecrafter has its own Graphic Rules and Video Cards file separate from Bodyshop and TS2. It's in the install folder, so make sure those are the ones you're editing. The ones for Bodyshop/TS2 won't do anything for Homecrafter.

- If you're unsure where to find the HC files, the path is something like this (could vary with where you've installed it)
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 HomeCrafter Plus\HCData\Res\UKConfig

- You can check the settings in the Config-Log file after running Homecrafter (the Log file displays whichever program was run last out of TS2/Bodyshop/Homecrafter - you can see which program it currently displays info for in the "Name" field directly under "Application info").
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 5:46 PM Last edited by kerri191 : 31st Mar 2024 at 5:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
1: Do you use the "ld_BrightCASFix" mod? That one can cause some issues with homecrafter (usually a pink window like with pink-flashing, but I'd assume an empty window could also be a possibility). If you use the mod, temporarily move it out when using Homecrafter, and put it back in when you're done.

2: Make sure you use textures that have "power of 2" sizes, so 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, (256x512 or 512x1024 for walls). Only exception is that walls can work as half-sizes (for Windows games, NOT for Mac!) - I think it is 256x768 that works. Anything other than this could cause issues (250x500 is not an accepted size).

3: Saved format - if you save the texture file as the wrong format, it won't work.

4: Homecrafter has its own Graphic Rules file separate from Bodyshop and TS2. It's in the install folder.
Mine is here, but it could vary a bit with where you've installed Homecrafter:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 HomeCrafter Plus\HCData\Res\UKConfig

1. Don't use it. I actually removed my mods folder (leaving in my CEP and scriptorium files) to see if that helped and there was no change. EDIT: I lied. I found the mod in game install folders by accident. I had assumed it would be in the mods folder. Checking Homecrafter now.

2. I do use "power of 2" sizes as appropriate. In this case, the problem happens even before I create a new texture. I can't even preview Maxi's textures in that window before I extract them.

3. I save as a bitmap file with Photoshop.

4. This, I was unaware of. I updated my graphics rules and video card files in the appropriate folder for Homecrafter just now.

Unfortunately, the problem persists. To check, I open Homecrafter, click "Create Flooring," choose a random Maxi's texture, click "Clone Selected Content," and when I get to the next screen, the preview box is blank. If I try instead to import my own edited texture with "Create New Content," I can choose one of my own textures, and same result. In both cases, the floor shows up fine in the small thumbnail box on the right, but the larger preview box remains empty. Same if I try to clone a wall or a ground texture.

I should also add that when I choose to clone a floor, I can pull the texture out of the working directory and work with it fine in photoshop. To reiterate, I can create a new texture and recolor Maxi's stuff and get it in game perfectly. I just can't see the large preview in Homecrafter at any time in the process. Like I said, more of an annoyance. But an annoying annoyance.

AKA. Anora Acadian
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 6:04 PM
No joy removing ld_BrightCASFix. And I was so hopeful.

AKA. Anora Acadian
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Apr 2024 at 10:39 AM
Don't know if it would help, but here's a link to the log file for the last time I ran the program this afternoon.

http://www.simfileshare.net/download/4562882/

AKA. Anora Acadian