Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 8:34 PM
Default Problems with the king's English
The title speaks for itself (I don't even know that's correct, but I think I heard it in a blooper of the TV-show friends)

I receive a lot of requests and I make some careers myself. The problem is that the spellcheck can rule out some mistakes, but because I'm not a native speaker and some of my requesters are no native speakers, there are a lot of mistakes that are not corrected when I upload it just because I'm not a master in English.
E.g.: Today a requester (not native speaker 13-18 years) had this sentence in a Rock star career track: "Wait, and you be gains with your job."
For me that sentence feels wrong. So much that I don't even know what the requester can mean by it. It's possible that it is a correct English sentence, but again I don't know.
Can someone help with this problem cause I have some more sentences like this?

Is there a spellcheck forum or something on MTS so I can upload the careers without any mistakes?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 4:03 AM
Yes, there's a problem. I can't even tell what he's trying to say!
I am pretty sure there isn't a spellcheck forum on MTS, otherwise I'd know about it.
What's the person trying to say? Looks like the entire sentence will have to be rewritten.

ENTJ
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 11:30 AM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 20th Aug 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Well this is the complete description: "Your hard work was heard, and, one band needed a new member, well YOU ARE IN!
Now with your new band you give concerts in parks, and in school dances, but, still been a awesome job.
Wait, and you be gains with your job."
But still it doesn't make much sense to me.

I PM'd the person who requested. But it's really a problem in almost every description.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 21st Aug 2010 at 6:44 AM
Okay, here's the fixed version: (lol I'm a walking spelling dictionary)
"Your hard work was heard, and one band needed a new member... well YOU ARE IN!
Now with your new band you have concerts in parks, and at school dances, but still it's an awesome job.
Wait and you'll get a better position in the band."
I think that's what they were trying to say for the last sentence. It makes sense to me now that I've revised it.

ENTJ
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Aug 2010 at 8:18 AM
The problem is as I said that almost all the descriptions are like that.
I sent a PM to the requester and waiting for the answer.
Thanks for revising it. It makes much more sense to me too now.

P.S.: Congrats with your 1000th post

Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 22nd Aug 2010 at 8:34 PM
That was my 1,000th post?!! lol, thanks for letting me know! I never look at that stuff! Heh, I'm excited now.
Well, if all of the descriptions are like that, I'd suggest adding a hint of comedy or something. If you want, I can gladly edit the job descriptions if I know what the job's levels are.

ENTJ
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 9:08 PM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 25th Aug 2010 at 9:09 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lavaster
That was my 1,000th post?!! lol, thanks for letting me know! I never look at that stuff! Heh, I'm excited now.
Well, if all of the descriptions are like that, I'd suggest adding a hint of comedy or something. If you want, I can gladly edit the job descriptions if I know what the job's levels are.

These are the descriptions.

Rock Star Career

1. Street Musician
"Yes! You are waiting to enter the world of music, playing in streets frequented by people.
Perhaps with a little luck, one of those people who go there, is a multimillionaire owner of a label, or at least the owner of a bar where you can win some money.
You get the money you give people, not much, but at least you do turn your dream into reality"

2. Bar Musician
"One of this people, walking on the street, was a bar owner. YES! you have the oportunity to show to the people that frequent a night bar,what you're made of.
You win better than before, but, you work in night hours, so , you have to be focus in be relaxed to give to the people the best.
"

3. Leader of a local band
"Your hard work was heard, and, one band needed a new member, well YOU ARE IN!
Now with your new band you give concerts in parks, and in school dances, but, still been a awesome job.
Wait, and you be gains with your job."

4. Internet Music Boom!
"MySpace could be a very usefull tool when you upload the music of your band, now you have 10,000 followers of your new band. You still waiting for a label, but for now, is good.
You and your band to make a lot of outdoor concerts, or theater in your town, and especially with the merchandising with your name"

5. Opening band
Yeah! you are in the good way to be a Rock Star legend, now, you are the opening band of the tour of one of the band that you are fan since a child. Now your career is in ascent, you are bussy all the days, but the hard work it's going to be reward.

6. Soudtrack band of a movie
"When the guys of that movie hear your new EP they say ""WE WANT YOU!"", now, you are a little bit famous than before, but, don't keep sleeping in the laurels, you have to work hard to get what you want: a label.
Now, the hours are a little bit more relaxed. But, you have to work all the days"

7. New band of Universal Records
"Are you lucky or what? You have a label, and what a label, one of the biggest.
Now, you have to be focus one your new CD."

8. Worldwide Band
One of the best bands is yours, and the world is on your feets, take care of this situation because some people would want bring you down. Don't care about that and you would be the new Rock Star Legend.

9. Solist
Well, the things with your band doesn't work, but you don't care. You are now, a solist singer. THE BEST ONE! all the people is talking about you and your music, you have to change your material sometime, but now, you are cool.

10. Rock Star Legend
"YEAH! it's the only thing that I could say, you did it! you reach your dream, and you have a good pay for it, now you can have focus on your family, and if you don't have one, you could do it.
Now you work a little, but you have a very good pay. One only thing, CONGRATULATIONS!"

I asked the requester for the changes, but she hasn't replied back yet.

I'll send her a message again.
You don't need to make these descriptions better. I receive a lot of requests with bad English descriptions. I don't have time to correct all that spelling and I say that clearly in the instructions that if they don't watch their spelling the career will be rejected. It's the same as if they would upload those descriptions on MTS.

Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 3:38 AM
Eh, that's okay. I like correcting stuff, anyway! Here they are, I changed some things to make them make more sense:
1. Street Musician
Yes! You are waiting to enter the world of music, playing in streets frequented by people. Perhaps with a little luck, one of the people who hear you is a multimillionaire owner of a label, or at least the owner of a bar where you can win some money. You get the money you give people, which isn't much, but at least you can turn your dream into reality.

2. Bar Musician
One of the people walking on the street was a bar owner. YES! You have the opportunity to show the people that frequent a night bar what you're made of. You win better than before, but you work in night hours, so you have to be focus in being relaxed to give to the people the best.

3. Leader of a Local Band
Your hard work was heard, and a band needed a new member... well, you're IN THE BAND! Now with your new band you give concerts in parks and at school dances, but it's still an awesome job. Be patient and you'll get more than before!

4. Internet Music Boom!
MySpace could be a very useful tool when you upload the music of your band. Now your band has 10,000 followers! You are still waiting for a label, but for now, it's all good. You and your band are having a lot of concerts, outside or at the town theater, and now your band is selling merchandise with your names!

5. Opening Band
Yeah! You are on the right track to becoming a Rock Star legend, but for now, you are in the opening band in the tours of one of the bands that you were a fan of since you were a child.
Now your career is in blasting off, you are busy all the time, but the hard work will give you major rewards.

6. Soundtrack Band of a Movie
When some guys working on a movie heard your new album they said, "WE WANT YOU!" Now you are a little more famous than before, but don't keep sleeping in the laurels, you'll have to work hard to get what you want: a label. The hours are a bit more relaxed for now, but you have to work everyday.

7. New Band of Universal Records
Are you lucky or what? You have a label, and not just any label; one of the biggest! Now all you have to do is focus on your new album.

8. Worldwide Band
One of the best bands is yours, and the world is on your feet! Be careful now because some people want to bring you down. Try to not let that bug you too much and you might become the new Rock Star Legend!

9. Soloist
Well, some things with the band didn't work out for you, but you don't care. You are now a soloist singer. THE BEST ONE! Everyone is talking about you and your music. You have to change your material every now and then, but for now,
you're the coolest singer alive!

10. Rock Star Legend
YEAH! You did it! You reached your dream and you get very good pay for it, although you're not working very much anymore. Now you have time to focus on your family, and if you don't have one, you can get one!
One only thing... CONGRATULATIONS!

ENTJ
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 1:24 PM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 1st Sep 2010 at 9:14 PM.
Ok, thanks a lot to correct them. I guess I have a few more careers with descriptions like that coming. I'll have to take a look at them to see which one I'll accept and which not. As I for now look at the subject as well. (The playmate career)

Do you mind checking descriptions more often? Or was it for just this once?

Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 11:06 PM
Sure, I can check the descriptions more often! For some reason I have this knack for editing stuff... I'm still trying to figure why I do... lol!

ENTJ
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 8:28 AM
Ok, thanks a lot!
Of course you only have to do that when the descriptions are so weird as these were. Not when it's just about spellingmistakes. I wonder why requesters don't use a spellcheck when I really really ask them to do. I even say that when I notice they didn't, I'll reject the request (as I do). There is one who forgot every apostrophe. That can be solved in such a spellcheck. Kinda irritating.

Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 8:19 PM
Yeah, it makes me wonder if they're younger than they say they really are, LOL! Glad to be of assistance!

ENTJ