Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
shiny!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 7:59 PM
Default FireFox 3 - Your thoughts?
As many people already know, Firefox 3 was officially released yesterday. For those who have already updated to the newest version, what are your thoughts?

Overall I really like this update...

Pros:
- Much fast
- Uses fewer resources

Cons:
- Some of my add-ons and themes aren't compatible yet.. not really FF's fault
- The new address bar.. HUGE ugly looking links in the drop down. I think there's an add-on which changes it back though. I will have to look into it more. I'm trying to see if I can make myself get used to it first.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 8:05 PM
I've been using the beta for a while, and overall I'm impressed. It's definitely faster, and I love the revamped address bar. The searching feature while you type - searching within urls and even page titles from your history and bookmarks - has already been really useful for me. And only one of my add-ons isn't compatible.

#3 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 8:11 PM
So far, the change hasn't been too significant either way other than the ugly drop down link thing you mentioned. Ugh! That's horrible! Please let me know if your add on fixes it!

One other thing I just noticed is that to put a new bookmark into a subfolder, it takes longer than it used to.. I thought they were aiming for the opposite to happen, one click bookmarking? Hmm..
shiny!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 8:15 PM
Try oldbar. It should make the address bar look like FF2.
#5 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 9:36 PM
I really enjoy FF v3.0...

I was tagging all my bookmarks last night. I accumulate a lot of bookmarks relating to my course so it is now easier to use the tags to find relevant links.

I am neutral to the drop down address bar. I did get slightly annoyed that my addresses weren't there from when I had FF v2.0 but it does link to previous websites I've been to such as Deviantart.

It's awesome
Theorist
#6 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 9:44 PM
as someone who is stuck with dial-up, I REALLY appreciate the new rendering engine. Pages load noticeably faster. On a cable modem, I am sure the differences in loading times are negligible, but on a slower connection like I have, it certainly makes a huge difference. As for the "Awesome" bar, there is a simple tweak to the about:config file that lets you disable it. I don't mind it yet, giving it a chance for me to see its value. Like when I upgraded from Firefox 1.5 to 2, obviously, not all of the extensions work. YET. However, the more important ones I have, like noscript, adblock plus, things that make my browsing safer, were already updated to be compatible with FF3, so, upgrading wasn't a huge security concern. I will be happy when AVG updates its firefox extension though. Overall, I love FF3, just waiting for more extensions to update until I have it perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Alchemist
#7 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 10:27 PM
Hmm, I thought FF would have updated automatically.
#8 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 10:50 PM
I have to say that I'm impressed overall. I find FF3 is a fair improvement over FF2. My theme was the only thing not compatible with this new version. Piclens, Stumbleupon, and Foxytunes all work. And I find, pages do load faster.
Alchemist
#9 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 1:00 AM
k, got the update. I actually rather like the new layout! The top bar does look slightly gangely, but I don't mind. It makes me feel like I'm in the controller seat in a spaceship! lol!
Forum Resident
#10 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 4:39 AM
i downloaded firefox 3 and didnt like it i went back to firefox 2

i take my sims photos using fraps!!!!
Alchemist
#11 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 4:44 AM
I just hope/am hoping that it will run better on my mac. I noticed a lot of weird and annoying problems that would happen with Firefox, so bad that I would have to then switch to using Safari (PUKE).
I use FF on my PC with no problems at all, by the way.
So we'll see if some of these incompatibility issues have been worked out with this release.
Test Subject
#12 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 7:34 AM
<3 FF3 nuff said, url also has my bookmarks o.O...ugh..some of those are private...lol..cough...avg safe search not compatible yet..
Scholar
#13 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 5:56 PM
I've yet to see how it's all that different from previous versions of Firefox, however, it seems to "blend" into Vista better, I suppose, and the new password management is somewhat less confusing (actually asking you about it discreetly).

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Field Researcher
#14 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 7:22 PM
I hate hate hate hate the so called Smart Location bar - thank god for this addon that changed it back to the old Firefox 2 style.

I have returned back to Firefox 2 as a flaw in FF3's security has already been discovered; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7462900.stm - the text at the bottom explains:

However, some of the shine of the launch was removed by reports that a security firm had already found a flaw in the browser.

DV Labs/Tipping Point reported a flaw only five hours after Firefox 3.0 debuted. The flaw potentially lets an attacker take over a PC if a user clicks on a booby-trapped link.
Alchemist
#15 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anyerfillag
I hate hate hate hate the so called Smart Location bar - thank god for this addon that changed it back to the old Firefox 2 style.

I have returned back to Firefox 2 as a flaw in FF3's security has already been discovered; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7462900.stm - the text at the bottom explains:

However, some of the shine of the launch was removed by reports that a security firm had already found a flaw in the browser.

DV Labs/Tipping Point reported a flaw only five hours after Firefox 3.0 debuted. The flaw potentially lets an attacker take over a PC if a user clicks on a booby-trapped link.

Is the smart location bar the new address bar? I don't like how it doesn't just suggest URLs I put in there, but rather exact spots I've been and places I might like to go back to. Can you link me to the add on that changes it back, if that's what you're talking about? I've looked for it but I can't find it anywhere.
I'm using a slighter theme, now, but only on my PC. The FF3 Original theme looks good on my Mac, for some reason.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 10:27 PM
Yep, the smart bar is the new address bar and annoyed me to no end. The old bar link that callistra posted is the same addon I used:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6227
#17 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 11:07 PM
the old bar version says its not compatible with ff3 O_O
Oh bother, now I have to uninstall this crappy ff3 and replace it with ff2. D:
Field Researcher
#18 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 12:23 AM
I am too lazy to install it on my laptop
My Desktop uses Netscape Navigator

ılı.------Volume------.ılı.
▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
Min- - - - - - - - - - -●Max
► Play ▌▌ Pause ■ Stop
Test Subject
#19 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 12:46 AM
I HATE the drop bar. Mine was VERY organised, with only the website I went to regularly, I never ever used it to go to a specific url ; it was just long enough so that I could see all my favorite websites at once and now it is COMPLETELY messed up.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 4:45 AM
The drop bar seems to be along the same lines of the history menu, not that I like it or not because; personally it doesn't affect me. All of my addons work just fine, so no complaints here.
Theorist
#21 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 5:22 AM
isn't there a simple about:config tweak that disables it, rather than needing an addon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
shiny!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 8:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShelbyLove
the old bar version says its not compatible with ff3 O_O
Oh bother, now I have to uninstall this crappy ff3 and replace it with ff2. D:

I'm not sure why it's not working for you but I assure you it is compatible. It was made for FF3 specifically to make it look like FF2.. and I'm using it.

davious You can disable the drop down bar totally by setting 'browser.urlbar.maxRichResults' to 0. If you just want it to look like FF2 drop down then use oldbar.
#23 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 9:41 AM
I agree with the above messages - I probably wouldn't have kept FF3 at all if it weren't for the oldbar add-on. It bugged me to no end.

But other than that, it's great. Most of my add-ons still work, but not my theme - I never realized how fugly the normal FF theme was. XD
Test Subject
#24 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 9:45 AM
My theme is compatible. So, no problem. I like FF3 now that I reorganised my dropbar. It is going much faster than the old one.
shiny!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 9:35 PM
Hehe, if you type about:robots in the url bar in FF3 you get something fun.

Page 1 of 2