Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Dec 2007 at 3:30 AM
Another Possible PC....Any Suggestions?
I think I found a new computer that is pretty awesome and I would like more opinions on this one as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16883229011

It comes with a keyboard and a mouse and that's one reason why I want it but I don't know about a monitor :confused:. If this computer isn't good, please put in your input...all comments are welcomed .

LaTasha

I have tried, but have failed. What else is there for me do do?
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Dec 2007 at 3:48 AM
You can do some serious gaming with that rig. LOL No complaints on the specs, except would highly advise against the Vista operating system. There's a greatly increased possibility of a headache between both nvidia/ts2 AND nvidia/vista.. Be more than I'd want to throw on a gamble, personally. Just know you can build the same machine for less on CyberPower's actual website..

eta:nvm didn't see that rebate.. I think that is a little less actually.. wow awesome!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2007 at 4:03 AM
Thanks Callistra! That is what I wanted to hear...lol. I don't know if it comes with a monitor but I will call to ask...just in case, lol. I don't know what I was thinking about until it dawned on me that newegg sells gaming pc's too. So, with the price...I thought why not purchase this one and still get a keyboard and monitor for less than I would if I would have purchased these "posh" machines and be po'ed cuz it wouldn't perform the way I wanted it too.

I even thought about AlienWare but I would have eventually been po'ed with that one because they are notorious for running hot (maybe just their laptops) but they are TOO expensive...lol.

Thanks Again for your input...it is always appreciated!

LaTasha

shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2007 at 4:21 AM
Alienware is overhyped imho. Not that they're bad machines by any means, but one can do better. They certainly have a unique and attractive look to them though.. and they're a lot more reasonably priced than some gaming companies.

It doesn't look like it does.. but if you're looking for a new LCD I love viewsonic (though A LOT of people complain about backlight bleeding..) and LG.

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...&ref=performics

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...uct_code=347591
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 12:50 PM
Callistra, I have some questions to ask you about another computer from NewEgg here and I read that (in the customer reviews, second one from the top) I could have a total of 8 RAM sticks versus 4? Is that so? If so, how can I make that possible? Do I have to tinker with the MoBo?

NOTE: This isn't the exact pc that I mentioned in the earlier post...this one is a Quad Core....

I am getting this pc in about three more months and I'm trying to make sure that I can add more RAM because I'm not going to have the extra money to get XP and plus with the more RAM, I should be okay? Shouldn't it :?: Also I wanted to add that if I could get the XP, wouldn't I loose anything I put on the hard drive?

Sorry for all of the questions but I wanted to make sure that I am doing the right thing and plus I plan on updating the graphics card to 8800 GTS and adding 1TB hard drive...Later on but what do you think? I do plan on having a lot of downloads, music, pictures, and other programs....

-Tasha

shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 6:05 PM
You'll never use 8gb and no operating system current will support it anyway. 64-bit operating systems will support as much as 4 but that’s it.. and again you’ll never use. It's possible to install that much because the motherboard has 4 slots for ram and each slot will hold a 2gb stick.

I think you should get this pc instead: http://www.avadirect.com/product_de...or.asp?PRID=830

Tower Cases: Antec P180 (silver or black.. choose the one that says no psu) You could get another case if you don’t like that one but this is a really good case that not only has excellent airflow and cooling but also sound dampening for a silent system.
Power Supplies: PC Power& Cooling 610w
Socket 775 Core 2 DDR2 Motherboards: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Socket 775 Core 2 Desktop Processors: E8400
CPU Coolers: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7
DDR2-800 Non-ECC DIMM Memory: 2gb PC-6400 Corsair (-$22.42)
PCI Express x16 Video Cards: SELECT NONE (you can upgrade yourself very easily for so much cheaper) This subtracts $219.52 from the total
SATA Hard Drives: WESTERN DIGITAL 320gb..WD3200AAKS..16MB cache (the 1t drive will add like $300 to your system and I really have to question if you’ll ever use it unless you plan on using your hdd to store ever dvd you ever own.. you’re better off investing in some dvdrs to back stuff up. To be honest I doubt you’ll use the 320gb but it was a compromise to the 1t. I have 7550 songs, over 72,000 cc for ts2, 5200 photos, hundreds of programs and games, and I use about 115gb. I have a little over 100 videos on my computer but for the most part I keep video backed up onto my external dvdrs because that is what eats the hdd space)
Leave the next few options alone to default.. no change needed until you get to..
DVD and CD-RW Combo Drives: Select none and subtract $39.90 from this system.
DVD RW Drives: Plextor PX-810SA
Floppy Drives and Card Readers: select none and subtract $6.80
Leave the next several options alone.. no need to change anything until you get to..
Sound card: Your motherboard has onboard audio. You could stick with it or if you find yourself picky on sound you could have them install a sound card. In that case I would recommend the CREATIVE Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.
Also you can buy a keyboard and mouse from them.. or just use the one you have. It’s up to you.. my recommendation is if you want a new keyboard and mouse get one off newegg for cheaper.
Operating Systems: XP Home
No productivity software
Install your own antivirus or choose ESET NOD32, imho
Warranties: Silver 3 year parts/labor
$1040.90

I would go with a stronger dual core over the quad core, and I opted for no gpu in the system. Then you can go buy this one off newegg.com and install yourself for A LOT cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814130334 The card runs just under a 8800gt and could even handle crysis well. The 8800gts is just way too much for what you want to do.. I would normally suggest a 8600gt which would only cost you like $60... ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814130085) but this does at least make it TS3 proof and for $150 it is a great card.

I've always liked CyberPower for their prices but apparently I've come to find out their tech support sucks.. I did some further research and found AVADirect is on league with xoticpc which, is my favorite company for laptops. It is a bit more for the AVADirect so if you need to cut some money out of it let me know and I’ll tell you where I would do it from.. but since putting in a 1tb drive and 8800gts would have put you way over the price AVA price I figure you'll still be on top with a better system for less money..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 5:38 AM
Thanks Callistra...I will be checking out the pc that you preferred .

I do want to get the 8800 GTS but that wasn't going to be until like next year or so but I do plan on adding the RAM probably right away but with the system you chosen, I would have to install these items myself and that is going to be a challenge and since I couldn't even put my laptop's hard drive into an enclosure that I purchased and I thought that was simple ...

I will be checking some things out and I will get back with ya....

shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 2:53 PM
I see.. well I think you can do it. It's very simple.. have you ever put in new ram? It's similar.. you just have to unscrew (or in some cases not even unscrew just unsnap..) a little thin piece of metal off the case to fit the card, and then just snap it straight down into place.. screw it in, or just snap the clip back down. If you don't feel comfortable doing it you could always have them do it. They have the EVGA 9600gt for install it will just cost you about $50 more for them to put it in. Maybe you can consider it an install charge..

I'm wondering why you think you need a 8800gts? In another year the card will be outdated.. they've already come out with the 9000 series, however, unless you're planning on doing really heavy newer gaming like Crysis (and prob really even newer gaming than that which hasn't even come out yet) you won't even make kinda use of the 8800gts.. even Crysis runs zero lag on the highest settings with a 8800gt.. Yeah, it's totally your choice but I'm just curious what you think the 8800gts will be used for The 9600gt is the future proof choice, imho because it runs just under the 8800gt and therefore will handle all your TS3 needs for sure.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 3:00 PM
The 9600 GT is -nice-. I just got one and it runs TS2 absolutely -flawlessly-. The game is gorgeous and utterly lag-free including during seasons effects, which was my big gripe before with my 7300 GS. Runs Oblivion on a high res with high settings flawlessly, too... I'm tempted to install Crysis just to see what it runs like, though I'd never end up actually playing it (not my type of game). I wuv my 9600 GT so very much. AND it has an angry goblin on it.

It -did- need a major driver update to stop BSODs, but it's had no bluescreen/freeze issues like many nVidia cards do with TS2. Major bonus over and above its general awesomeness, I'd say.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2008 at 2:53 AM
If you install Crysis let us know how it works! Because the 8600gt apparently runs on high with minimum lag.. 8800gt no lag.. and the 9600gt is supposedly closer to the 8800gt than the anything.. would be curious to see.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2008 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
I see.. well I think you can do it. It's very simple.. have you ever put in new ram? It's similar.. you just have to unscrew (or in some cases not even unscrew just unsnap..) a little thin piece of metal off the case to fit the card, and then just snap it straight down into place.. screw it in, or just snap the clip back down. If you don't feel comfortable doing it you could always have them do it. They have the EVGA 9600gt for install it will just cost you about $50 more for them to put it in. Maybe you can consider it an install charge..

I'm wondering why you think you need a 8800gts? In another year the card will be outdated.. they've already come out with the 9000 series, however, unless you're planning on doing really heavy newer gaming like Crysis (and prob really even newer gaming than that which hasn't even come out yet) you won't even make kinda use of the 8800gts.. even Crysis runs zero lag on the highest settings with a 8800gt.. Yeah, it's totally your choice but I'm just curious what you think the 8800gts will be used for The 9600gt is the future proof choice, imho because it runs just under the 8800gt and therefore will handle all your TS3 needs for sure.

Callistra, you make a good point! I did read about the 9600 GT like 3 months ago but I did hear that it wasn't good as the 8800 GTS and that's why I didn't mention it at first . Considering what HP just said, I know I am going to go for this one down the line and pay someone to put it in.

No, I've never installed anything onto a machine before and that is why I am pretty sure I do NOT want to try it. Plus, when I purchased my hard drive enclosure, I couldn't even put the friggin hard drive in that correctly and I thought that was simple....Do you see my dilema...lol ....I am learning about the concept of computers and some things I get and some I have no idea and the reason why I am jet set on getting the one I showed you is because I know for sure as to what I am getting. I mainly want to have a many downloads as I want (roughly 20,000 - 30,000 downloads) with no lag what so ever and that's why I am thinking very hard about this. I want to make sure that when the time comes for me to put my order in, I know what I'm getting. I have thought about just building my own pc but I have no idea how to do it....and I don't want to pay someone to do it...

Do you have any more suggestions? If so, I would absolutely love to hear them :D...

HP, If you do purchase Crysis, I would love to know how well that graphics card kicks butt! Share your experience with us and plus tell as about the lag or lack there of....

LaTasha

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 4:49 AM
I have a quick question Callistra: Can you tell me how I can tell how many GHz an AMD Anthlon PC has? I just want to make sure I am getting something decent for when that time comes.....But this one is the one I really want :P

If you need more info on which one I am referring to, please clicky the link . I know that you are a busy person and I really appreciate any feedback you can give me :D....

TIA....

shiny!
retired moderator
#13 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 6:05 AM
It corresponds to the 4 digit number with the + after it. In this case the 6000+ processor is 3.0ghz. AMD's official website has a list of all the processors and their specs.

The second link, the power supply and graphics card should be upgraded. The 8500GT seems to have issues with TS2 and that power supply is not a good one. Again.. CyberPower is a big risk because their tech support sucks and if something goes wrong you're prob screwed :p

The first link is an open box, which is why it's so cheap, but it's for sure the more powerful of the two. It's specs are solid, except I don't know about the motherboard. All it says is that it's a G31 chipset and no idea which brand.. not one of the better ones I'd go with. I would check carefully Newegg's return policy on open box items.

Don't like the AVADirect machine?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 8:02 AM
Thanks Callistra I really value your opinion! I've read at NewEgg that you only have 15 days to return the OpenBox PC's and 30 for a brand spanking new one...They do not have a refund policy which is kinda why I am scared as heck to get anything from them...I will have to look around more...July will be here before I know it....

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 6:07 AM

Don't like the AVADirect machine?

Yeah, I like it but I can't install the hard ware and I would hate to purchase all of the parts and break something and plus I don't know any one around here that can plus I've never installed anything on a computer other than a disk, ....I really don't have much money to spare and to go to a computer store and pay them to put parts in will cost a lot especially if I didn't purchase the part from them :hmm: so I have to buy this one or be stuck paying lots more for a Dell or HP and plus it will take me longer to get a pc at any rate because the specs I want that they have are too expensive....

Callistra, I know you are so tired of me bugging you but this should be my last question regarding purchasing a computer, lol. I know I am going to get the second computer but I'll be getting the 9600 GT off the back (I will be purchasing this first, before the actual machine, lol) but I have no idea what PSU I need. I tried to look it up at NewEgg and didn't get any clue what so ever....I feel like such a dummy ...I really don't know a lot but I do know that I am going to try to build my next computer myself. By this time, I should have to money to play around with that idea and I still have to find someone to put in the PSU and the Grx Card ....Screwed? Yes, very much ....

Thanks in Advance....

shiny!
retired moderator
#16 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 2:14 PM
I’m a little confused.. first paragraph you’re telling me you don’t want to install anything yourself and second paragraph you’re saying you’re going to build the entire thing yourself.. Installing the graphics card is really prob the easiest part to building your own computer. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that then you’re not going to be able to build the rest of it either.. :$ I’m not sure if I’m not understanding something so I apologize if that response wasn’t applicable. lol. I’m not sure what you meant, sorry.

But anyway.. In response to the first paragraph about not wanting to install anything yourself.. AVADirect can install EVERYTHING for you. It’s a little cheaper to do some stuff on your own but it’s not necessary. They offer lifetime tech support plus 3 year parts warranty.. it's really fantastic. That means for 3 year they will fix anything wrong with the computer (provided it wasn't caused by user like.. you threw water in it or dropped it out the window lol) and for the lifetime of the machine they will fix anything provided you supply the parts. So really for someone like you who is feels uncomfortable working on their own computer, this would be a perfect solution.

So okay we’re looking at $1000 totally prebuilt and fuss free then try this out:

Tower Cases: Antec Sonata III w/500w psu
Power Supplies: No Power Supply Upgrade (the power supply provided with the Sonata III case is plenty)
CPU Coolers: No CPU Fan Upgrade
DDR2-800 Non-ECC DIMM Memory: 2gb PC-6400 Corsair CL4 (-$22.42)
PCI Express x16 Video Cards: EVGA 9600gt 675mhz
SATA Hard Drives: WESTERN DIGITAL 320gb..WD3200AAKS..16MB cache
Leave the next few options alone to default.. no change needed until you get to..
DVD RW Drives: Plextor PX-810SA
Leave the next several options alone.. no need to change anything until you get to..
Sound card: Your motherboard has onboard audio. You could stick with it or if you find yourself picky on sound you could have them install a sound card. In that case I would recommend the CREATIVE Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.
Also you can buy a keyboard and mouse from them.. or just use the one you have. It’s up to you.. my recommendation is if you want a new keyboard and mouse get one off newegg for cheaper.
No productivity software
$1015.14

Better or need to be cheaper?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 3:15 PM
I’m a little confused.. first paragraph you’re telling me you don’t want to install anything yourself and second paragraph you’re saying you’re going to build the entire thing yourself.. Installing the graphics card is really prob the easiest part to building your own computer. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that then you’re not going to be able to build the rest of it either.. :$ I’m not sure if I’m not understanding something so I apologize if that response wasn’t applicable. lol. I’m not sure what you meant, sorry.

No, not this time but the next time I get a pc (maybe like 2 years or so). I probably didn't word it correctly but I surely wasn't talking about this time, lol. What I mainly was asking you about was a power supply that I can go with the 9600GT graphics card to go with this machine. Plus the $1,000 price range will be out of my range cuz if I buy that one, it will take me longer to get it because of the price and I haven't played my game in 7 months so I am willing to cut some corners just to get the ball rolling.

Thanks Callistra....

shiny!
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 3:50 PM
I think I understand better now.. Do you mean that you want to just buy the Cyberpowerpc machine right now and then upgrade the card later? See the thing is I'm not sure you CAN play at all with the 8500GT. I've not seen a single person report playing Ts2 on that card without crashing.. but you can try..

Because.. by the time you add the price of that CyberPower to a new power supply and graphics card to it it will be about $1000 again..

$699.99 - base machine
$149.99 - 9600GT
$74.99 - power supply
$37.87 - shipping
______

$962.84 Total initial cost minus rebates is $947.84

I can easily get the AVADirect price under that..

Tower Cases: Antec Sonata III w/500w psu
Power Supplies: No Power Supply Upgrade (the power supply provided with the Sonata III case is plenty)
CPU Coolers: No CPU Fan Upgrade
DDR2-800 Non-ECC DIMM Memory: CORSAIR 2gb (2x1gb) XMS2... PC2-6400.. CL4 (4-4-4-12)
PCI Express x16 Video Cards: EVGA 8600GT 575mhz 1GB
SATA Hard Drives: WESTERN DIGITAL 320gb..WD3200AAKS..16MB cache
DVD RW Drives: NEC AD-7190A Black 20x
No productivity software
$868.42 (or add back the 9600GT for $962.50)

With those specs you will for sure be able to play your sims game right now, and well too. You will see that I selected a different gpu, and a different dvdrw to get the reduced price. The 8600GT is still a very strong card, and much much better than the 8500GT. I don’t mean to keep pushing the AVADirect machine it’s just that it’s cheaper from a better company and I really am concerned about that CyberPower computer.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 6:32 PM
The 8600GT is still a very strong card, and much much better than the 8500GT. I don’t mean to keep pushing the AVADirect machine it’s just that it’s cheaper from a better company and I really am concerned about that CyberPower computer.

I have the 8600GT and im pretty happy with it..yeah it may not play crysis on max but for TS2 its dandy...and most likely TS3 will be fine aswell....i get very good graphics with it aswell!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 11:23 PM
I'm not going to purchase these at the same time....I plan on buying the
graphics card sometime in the next couple of weeks then the power supply. By
July (or before), I will have the rest of the money saved up to get the
computer. I get what you are saying about the price comparison plus I've already told Freddy, the husband, that the computer is already going to be under $700.00 before taxes so to go and give him another price :hmm: he probably will change his mind all together about purchasing it and I really don't want to risk that....considering he already doesn't want to spend that kind of money for a computer in the first place .

NOTE: Callistra, I just got what you were talking about....I thought you were saying that if I bought the computer from them as is and I would have to put the parts in myself ....My bad! I mis-understood you! I have to pick the parts myself and they will install it...I'm such a goof ball ....

Thanks Callistra....I really do appreciate all of your help :P.....

shiny!
retired moderator
#21 Old 27th Apr 2008 at 1:48 AM
Oooh.. thaaat's the misunderstanding.. haha I knew we weren't communicating right but I couldn't figure out what it was.

In that case.. you can do the same thing with the AVADirect computer. You can buy the graphics card now (and no need for another psu) liked you would have if you were going with the cyberpower. Then about July you can get the AVADirect computer with no graphics card and it comes to $754.18..which is a little more but there's lower shipping than newegg and no tax so maybe you can push that point.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Apr 2008 at 6:02 PM
Thanks Callistra! You are really a lifesaver....I was really confused and if I didn't come here seeking your advice, I would be really, really lost and confused....I am very grateful to you....

Thank you Callistra :D....