Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2013 at 8:11 PM
Default problems after updating video driver.
I applogize if this is posted in the wrong place but im thinking this is a hardware problem and not a Sims 2 problem...

I updated my video driver (which is an ATI Radeon HD 4800) so i could play my recently purchased SimCity game. so now my SimCity game works fine and to my knowledge the video card is working properly on just about everything except when i try to load my SIMS 2 game. When i load the Sims 2 up the display switches into 800x600 (which is odd since i never have it set to 800x600 with my wide screen monitor.) and the display is cut off at the top of the screen. When the game loads fully and i am in a neighborhood view i pull up the settings and the only option for the game is to be set in 800x600. (which again is odd since its never been that way before.) But anyway i have never had this problem until i updated that driver the other day (although i havent played the game for a while before hand) So should i be thinking this is what caused the problem or does anyone have any other ideas as to what the issue might be and what can i do to fix the issue if anyone knows.

Thanks alot for any help anyone can give me.

X L

The Eclipse Forum Network

Check out the new Friday's Video game Forum!
http://fridaysforum.myfastforum.org
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 4th Aug 2013 at 2:35 AM
How did you update your drivers?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Aug 2013 at 9:39 PM
SimCity told me it was outdated so i went into the display settings and clicked update driver then i had windows automatically search for any updates which it found and installed

Scholar
#4 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 1:25 PM
Open the start menu then click "Run...". A dialog box will open, type 'dxdiag' without the quotes and hit OK. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool will appear and read your system information. This may take a few minutes. When it's done, click the "Save All Information..." button in the bottom right corner. It will then ask you to save the text file somewhere. Save it somewhere easy to find like your desktop. Then post it here.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 9:48 PM
I was able to roll back to a previous version of the driver and now both games are working correctly so i dont know why it made me update to begin with unless my old version was older than this version i just rolled back to. None the less the problem is solved but thank you for trying to help AJ its much appreciated.

Scholar
#6 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 4:08 AM
For future reference you should never update your video card drivers like that. If you're using a desktop, you should download the drivers directly from AMD or Nvidia or directly from your laptop's manufacturer's website.