Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 10:19 AM
Sims 3: 32x game on a 64x computer - transferred?
Hi there!
I just got a "new" computer and decided that I want to use it for games only. My old computer is 32xBit and the new one is 64xBit. What I tried to do was to put all sims 3 files in a map and transfer them to the new computer so I won't lose all my CC, saved families, etc etc..and also because I lost my CD's when I moved last week. I put the files in the correct folders on the new computer and when I tried to open the game it said something about "Please reinstall the base game". This method worked perfectly fine on Dragon Age Origins, so I don't understand why it wouldn't work with TS3.

Any idea if the problem is the difference between the 32x and the 64x? Can I fix it somehow? I really really don't want to re-install everything.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 10:36 AM
You need the CDs to install from (and also to run your game). You don't need just the files itself but also all the registry data. Without that, it's not going to function. It doesn't have anything to do with 32 vs 64 bit. You can transfer over your save files from My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ but the game data itself from Program Files must be installed from disk (or Steam or Origin), not just copied.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 11:00 AM
That makes sense. =) However, I don't use discs to run my game - I installed my game from my disks and used a nocd crack, so I have no idea where they are. That bothers me is that Dragon Age worked fine this way.
But let's say that I were to re-install my game, if I cut out the Electronic Arts folder from My Documents, would I still have -all- my saved games and installed content? Not just the .package files, but the sims3pack's as well.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 11:08 AM
We do not provide support whatsoever for running without using the disk (except for non-disk methods like Origin/Steam installs). So I can't help you there.

Dragon Age likely didn't have the necessity for all the registry stuff that TS3 does. Some games do, some don't - it just depends on how it was made.

And yes, if you took your whole folder from My Documents and put it on your new computer with the same game setup, you would have all your stuff exactly as it was before (assuming you also have at least the same EPs/SPs and are fully patched).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 11:16 AM
Understandable. Thank you so much!