Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 1:13 AM
Default OSX vs Windows vs Linux
Which is the best OS? If Linux which distro?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 4:14 PM
This question is more infinitely complex then any of our minds can handle, in truth.

I'll try and simplify it somewhat: if you're a gamer, it's Windows. Every game ever made (of any significance) runs on some Windows platform, and almost all of them can be coaxed to run on Windows XP, one way or another.

Linux has limited game support (especially for mods and thinks relating to Valve's 'STEAM'), and Mac has almost nonexistent game support.

Now, for other fields, it's a different story.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Theorist
#3 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 8:51 PM
I prefer Windows as an OS, for a multitude of reasons. As Synthesis points out, if you want to play games, Windows is a must. Most of us like playing games on our PCs, and for that reason, I think the gaming aspect to a Windows OS makes it overall the superior product for the most people. Graphic designers praise the Mac and OSX because of its abilities in the video editing and photo manipulation fields. However, for the bulk of us, there are things we can get on Windows that will do the exact same thing. Only the most hardcore photo editor is going to be able to tell you the differences between the Mac and PC versions of Adobe Photoshop etc. For those of us that only need to do minor photo or video editing, the slight differences are more or less irrelevant. I cannot comment on photo/video manipulation tools for Linux distributions, as I have almost no knowledge of that OS in general. If you prefer to assemble a computer from scratch, you can automatically rule out OSX as an Operating System, as you cannot completely build a Mac from scratch, as far as I know. For those of us that prefer to build it ourselves, customizing a machine to how we like it, that leaves a PC with either Windows or Linux installed. If you are quite adept at configuring your PC, or have skills that the average joe won't have, Linux is probably going to appeal to you more than Windows. From what I hear, it is a very functional OS, its just a pain in the ass to install if you have never done it before. Windows is probably easier to install out of the box on a customized PC for the majority of PC owners. Maybe its not quite as cool or hip as Linux, but, I don't really want to spend 5 hours configuring it, either. People who swear by a Linux distribution over Windows are probably significantly more skilled at computers than most people. For that reason, I think Windows is probably the best overall choice. I have nothing against Linux at all, my older brother makes his living being a network administrator, and has been programming in a version of Linux since 1994ish. I just don't think that it is the best OS overall for the most people. It just might be a little ahead of its time yet, a little too difficult to install, and not quite enough open source programs to completely replace what my Windows can do. Maybe I will switch once these issues get resolved a little more, but not yet.

OSX is cute, but, its strengths do not outweigh its weaknesses. What it excels at, other OS's can do almost, but not quite as well, but where it is weak, it is WEAK. The lack of customization options, lack of HTPC options, the almost non-existence of games, are a bigger turn off to me than OSX's graphics editing capabilities. Most people have only a minor need for graphics editing, and for simple things like touching up digital photos, adding captions for icanhascheezburger.com, Myspace, etc, you simply don't need a Mac with OSX. For what the vast majority of users will need, both Windows and Linux will do exactly what they need, just as easily. OSX is only the best OS for a small number of users with specialized needs. Otherwise, don't bother. The other two can do everything your overpriced Mac with OSX can do, and then some, for a hell of a lot less money. Linux doesn't have the same program support a Windows machine does (yet), so I have to favor Windows as the best OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 4:07 PM
I hate apple because they don't try to help their developers develop software for their platform and Mac is the most locked down system I have heard of.

Mac users say that there is no good reason why Windows should be the most used OS - but I can post loads if you like.
Former Incubator of Tiberius
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 4:16 PM
Linux: Ubuntu or SuSE

We have duel boot systems here at home WIN XP/Linux. All of my gadgets work under the Linux side, scanner, digital camera etc.

I do remember when The Sims 1 came out for Linux (LOL) I had it for Windoze, Mac and Linux all at the same time!!!!

SIXAMSIMS @ TUMBLR
SIXAMSIMS @ LJ
- S2/S3 Sims For Download
Tiberius Arthur Glover - 06/09/09 / Atticus Oliver Leigh Glover - 08/12/09
Alchemist
#6 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by linuslover30
Linux: Ubuntu or SuSE

We have duel boot systems here at home WIN XP/Linux. All of my gadgets work under the Linux side, scanner, digital camera etc.

I do remember when The Sims 1 came out for Linux (LOL) I had it for Windoze, Mac and Linux all at the same time!!!!

there was actually a Linux version?
Former Incubator of Tiberius
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
there was actually a Linux version?

There surely was I believe it was with Mandrake Linux.

SIXAMSIMS @ TUMBLR
SIXAMSIMS @ LJ
- S2/S3 Sims For Download
Tiberius Arthur Glover - 06/09/09 / Atticus Oliver Leigh Glover - 08/12/09
#8 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 4:47 AM
Let's face it, Windows, even in Vista form, is the only practical OS. It's compatible with everything (games, drivers, etc.), it's reasonable price-wise, ships with a multitude of computer manufacturers making it more versatile, and it has more usable features.

I've experienced Mac OSX. It's cool and pretty and sleek just like everything Apple pumps out, but after 5 minutes you want your PC back for $500 less to play Sims, or get quality tech support, mod your system, make a spreadsheet, or recover a deleted file ever.

Apple has a major problem where they make this thing that works perfectly, but only performs a limited amount of functions. They don't allow a lot of external variables that might affect the performance of the thing, whether it's an iPod or Mac or whatever. Sure it works perfectly, but only for the few things it can do. Run an installed game? Forget it. Mod system properties? No way. Try to do ANYTHING outside the little bubble Apple allows users to function in? Wouldn't dream of it!

And Linux is just hangin in there lol. If you know computers and like to screw around with them a LOT, use Linux with your PC!

Oh, and that silly little "Macs don't get viruses" campaign, well if virus-makers are more inclined to make viruses for Windows and not waste their time on Mac viruses, then it just shows that there are more Windows PC's to infect (in other words, PC is winning!). Btw, I have a Windows Vista PC with a free version of McAfee AntiVirus and I have never once had a virus/trojan/worm/whatever successfully infect my computer!

::PC instantly freezes and system fails before my very eyes::
lol.
Theorist
#9 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 4:54 AM
My laptop is dual booted winXP/SUSE Linux. Personally I like Windows better. As for Mac, it is the best for graphic/multimedia design or digital imaging in general. Which one is the best for you depends on what you use your computer for.
Scholar
#10 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 5:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sim-potato-711
Let's face it, Windows, even in Vista form, is the only practical OS. It's compatible with everything (games, drivers, etc.), it's reasonable price-wise, ships with a multitude of computer manufacturers making it more versatile, and it has more usable features.

I've experienced Mac OSX. It's cool and pretty and sleek just like everything Apple pumps out, but after 5 minutes you want your PC back for $500 less to play Sims, or get quality tech support, mod your system, make a spreadsheet, or recover a deleted file ever.

One reason that Vista and XP together hold nearly 90% of the world operating share market is obvious--unlike all other alternatives, these two OS can, between them, run pretty much every program ever made, including (with some modification) several 'Mac Exclusive' or Linux exclusive applications.

Now, would quality suffer? In some cases, definitely. But it's a superior alternative to not running them at all.

One important thing to consider about Mac is the sort of limited utility Apple's marketing is tailored too. Very few copies of any Mac OS are for sale (other then the brief time after a new one is launched) that don't come with a Mac PC or laptop. By contrast, you can find copies of Vista everywhere. Hell, I'm pretty sure I saw a 7-Eleven selling two different versions of Vista. Apple's intent seems to be to market a new machine line, sell it to a specific group of people, and then produce another version of the machine that is updated, and hope that the aforementioned buyers can be convinced to throw away or dispose of their old machines and buy the new one. Over and over again.

That's not necessarily a bad business philosophy, but it does leave consumer options a bit limited. Basically, a website like NewEgg or stores like 'Fry's' in the United States wouldn't exist if everyone ran Macs--since Mac controls all hardware distribution that works on their computers. Basically, everything remotely connected to Apple must be purchased with Apple. No custom assemblies or upgrades. Ever. To the best of my knowledge.

An important thing to consider if you go with the Mac decision.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sim-potato-711
Oh, and that silly little "Macs don't get viruses" campaign, well if virus-makers are more inclined to make viruses for Windows and not waste their time on Mac viruses, then it just shows that there are more Windows PC's to infect (in other words, PC is winning!).

Just as an aside, that's not the reason why Macs don't get many viruses. In fact there were more Mac viruses a few years ago, when Mac was less popular. The main reason that Macs don't get so many viruses and malware are these:
1) Mac is Unix based- Unix is designed around security whereas Windoze is based on single user architecture.
2) Windoze has the browser built in to the OS, whereas on Mac the browser is seperate.
3) Mac has networking designed in from the beginning; on Windoze networking was an afterthought.
4) OSX has no registry. Windoze does.

For my own preferences, I like all of the operating systems for different reasons and for different purposes.
At work, I install and maintain many networks throughout schools in the the region, all of which use PCs. I like the flexibility of Windows, and love the way I can control and restrict users using Active Directory and Group Policies, something which would perhaps not be so flexible on Mac. In previous jobs I've used Macs in 3D CAD situations in engineering- and at the time, Macs were years ahead of PC on this- there is a bit of difference between touching up photos and serious graphic design! PCs just wouldn't have done the job then, but I'm not sure how they'd compare now as I'm out of touch in that field! I've also worked in the past briefly with setting up web servers, and Linux was the choice there for stability and speed. It's also reassuring to know that Microsoft have used Linux servers for their website!
At home, I use my Mac laptop most of the time except for when I'm playing The Sims 2. I don't have TS2 on Mac as my ibook is underpowered for this; however the Sims original runs a treat on it! The reason I hardly use PC at home is because I'm mostly using the internet, and the Mac is more secure. Also, Mac just works- I don't have to know why or how, it just does and it's so intuitive. I love the way I can drag a piece of text to the desktop, and it will be saved as a text document, and natively export to PDF... I also like how I can take it to any school, any network and it will find all of the printers and be able to print to them all without having to install drivers. Windows cannot do that as it has to support so much other hardware too. After a whole day of working on PCs it is refreshing to come home and only have to click once to update my Mac, instead of the many clicks it does to update Windows! I have computers with several versions of Windows, MacOSX, Kubuntu and Solaris at home, all of which get used for different things.
Alchemist
#12 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 10:50 PM
I have a hard time taking a person seriously that uses the term "windoze". Just a word of advice, it makes you sound like a fan boy
Field Researcher
#13 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 11:06 PM
in terms of how its presented, macs OSX is the best, it looks gorgeous ! OSX is definately my favourite operating system

Head Of Staff & Writer @ LivingSims Magazine

Interested In Working At LivingSims ? Then Check This Out
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
I have a hard time taking a person seriously that uses the term "windoze". Just a word of advice, it makes you sound like a fan boy

Why thankyou, I feel proud that as a middle aged woman I get mistaken for a boy! What is a fanboy, anyway? Do you mean I sound like I'm a fan of Microsoft, perhaps? Or a boy with a fan?
Scholar
#15 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
4) OSX has no registry. Windoze does.

A very valid point, use of 'Windoze' aside. To elaborate, I believe OSX uses *.ini files, which were used back in Windows 3.1. I've heard people argue both for and against the use of Registries--one argument against it is that the Registry is hugely complex and can contain tens of thousands of entries, easily, and can be very vulnerable. One argument for is that individual files effectively make them impossible to back them all up, should you want to, and that if you want to deliberately modify one, you have to go and track it down. For Windows, all you need to do is hit 'Find next'. Imagine if you had to manually search a word document with ten thousand lines without the benefit of the 'Search' option. Fun.

Incidentally, 'Windoze' falls under the same category of those who use the term 'M$'.

There's no place for partisanship, really. Which is why I do my best to avoid referring to Apple Desktops as "Computer-like". Doesn't do anyone any good, and being middle-aged doesn't make you any less of a fangirl if you are one.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Synthesis
Incidentally, 'Windoze' falls under the same category of those who use the term 'M$'.
There's no place for partisanship, really. Which is why I do my best to avoid referring to Apple Desktops as "Computer-like". Doesn't do anyone any good, and being middle-aged doesn't make you any less of a fangirl if you are one.

Oh, I see, you took my use of 'Windoze' as derogatory? It was meant more as a familiarity, no partisanship was intended. If you reread my post you'll see that I have a lot of good things to say about Windows- the initial part pointing out the resistance to viruses was in response to sim-potato-711; I don't buy the 'lack of market' argument for the lack of Mac viruses. I like using OSX but I also like using Windows- Linux and Solaris too- so I can hardly be classed as a Mac 'fanboy' (I had to look it up!) as otherwise I wouldn't work as a PC technician. The original poster asked which was the best OS- I replied with my opinions, which can be concluded as 'All of them for different reasons, but I prefer Mac OSX for surfing the web'! I've been referring to Windows as 'Windoze' since about 1993 (Risc OS was 'Risky OS', MS Dos was renamed Mr. Dos by someone I worked with who misread the name, etc.,) and I push rm -rf jokes as fast as BSOD jokes. If you are going to label someone a partisan then perhaps you should not display your own partisanship by using terms like 'fanboy'. I'm disappointed in any case as I always fancied a fanboy was an electronic cooling device, made by Nintendo or someone.
Scholar
#17 Old 28th Aug 2008 at 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Oh, I see, you took my use of 'Windoze' as derogatory? It was meant more as a familiarity, no partisanship was intended.

I stand corrected, in that case.

Quote:
If you are going to label someone a partisan then perhaps you should not display your own partisanship by using terms like 'fanboy'. I'm disappointed in any case as I always fancied a fanboy was an electronic cooling device, made by Nintendo or someone.

Okay, that I just don't believe, but I'm starting to think we're drifting off topic.

Field Researcher
#18 Old 29th Aug 2008 at 3:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sabrown100
Which is the best OS?

This question cannot be answered. However "Which is your favorite OS?" is a good question.

Although some OSes are really bad (I cannot name them, they will always remain unknown), popular OSes are all good for what they are aimed for. As mentionned by others, what makes an OS your favorite depends of what you do with your computer.

Windows is by far the most popular OS, which means that most programs are developed primarily for it. That is, you will find what you need. It is the OS that has the best support for games, so most games are made for it (although more and more games are made to be compatible with Mac or Linux theses days, often with a lesser quality but not always). As such, if your primary use for a computer is games, then Windows will probably be your choice.

If you are more toward graphics, such as a graphic designer or a movie creator, Mac might be your choice as it's what the OS has always been aimed at.

If you are looking for a complete free software suite solution, Linux might be what you are looking for. The OS itself is most usually available for free (whichever distro you prefer) and most software are also available for free. And since we are in the 21st century, there exist a software for everything now. You have OpenOffice for office work, Gimp for graphic work, etc. It is to note that most of these software are also available for Windows, and usually in full, with the same quality and performance level.

And now, what is my favorite OS? The short answer: Linux. The long one...

My primary use for a computer is programing. I design and build software. As such, I have made a decision long ago to work almost exclusively on Windows, because the primary market is there, and well, let's admit it, the OS itself is quite easy to work with. I also use my computer for entertainment (games, music, movies...). For games, Windows simply is the defacto platform for that field, although it doesn't make a difference for everthing else. Lastly, I'm a writer. There again, the platform doesn't really make a difference, but then Windows is simply more friendly.

However, when it comes to servers, my choice is Linux. Whatever the distro, Linux gives me the power, flexibility and stability I require, and believe me I'm extremely picky at that. Although I have built server installations under Windows for others, you will never get me to use Windows as a platform for a server. It's just not for me. Understand however that I know there are good reasons for one to choose Windows for their server, it's just not what matches my tastes and requirements.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 4:30 PM
I personally feel the question is not applicable anymore. If I were to answer, it would be the best OS is the one that runs the applications you need.

The applications drives your choice of OS. Your own preference will not change it. If it is available on different OS, your choice will still be dictated on which OS it is available for.

I want to play games on the PC, I have to choose Windows.
Theorist
#20 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 7:40 PM
That is a very good explanation, kinneer. I totally agree that the applications dictate the OS, not the OS dictating the applications you want to use. You could say its a chicken or egg question in regards to Windows, but, at this point, with XP, Vista, OSX and Linux, I have a choice in which OS I want. What keeps me with Windows? The availability of software for it. My needs reside in the applications, whether its gaming, photo editing, word processing, multimedia, or whatever. Windows has applications that do everything I need a computer to do. While it does not excel at all of them, overall, Windows does everything a home user needs it to do, and is relatively easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?