Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Nov 2007 at 3:12 PM
Default Major Computer Upgrade - What Else Will I Need?
Major Computer Upgrade - What Else Will I Need?

Look at Post #5 for updated info

Well, screw my last idea, sure it would be cheaper but it won't be the same as this upgrade Its about the same price too!

Current Specifitcations

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.06 Ghz 519K 533 FSB

200GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard Drive

1024MB DDR2-400 RAM

DVD Burner Drive

DVD Rom Drive

Card Reader

ATI Radeon 9250 PCI / Intel 910GL

200W Power Supply

Future Specifitcations

Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H 690G mATX AM2 1PCI-E16 1PCI-E4 2PCI HDMI Video Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard
OR
Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 : AMD 690V/SB600 AM2/1000FSB DDR2-800 PCIeX16(x1) PCIeX4(x1) PCI(x2) SATA300-RAID(0/1)/ATA133 w/ USB2.0 / 7.1 Audio / ATI Radeon X1200 Graphics / Gigabit LAN / mATX

Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Dual-Core AM2 w/ 1000MHz FSB / 2x1024KB L2 Cache / AMD64 / NX Bit / CnQ / AVT - Cheapest place i could find

OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - Would buy 2 if still priced at $49.99 in 1-3 Months (Makes 4 GB if x2)

200GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard Drive

DVD Burner Drive

DVD Rom Drive

Card Reader

ATI Radeon X1250 Onboard (Temporary) - Will be replaced by a DX10 Video Card Later in the Year

Look at Post #5 for updated info
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th Nov 2007 at 2:43 PM
IMO I'd increase the PSU - it's one of the most important components because if it shorts out, you lose data and usability so a good quality and reliable PSU with a decent voltage (you don't wanna just scrape by...you'd want a little bit of leeway on your usage) is essential. I'd consider going up to a 450w at the least or a 500w.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Nov 2007 at 3:53 PM
what PSU do you recommend?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tim_L
what PSU do you recommend?

I'd suggest a good quality brand, ANTEC are very good for PSU's - a 450w or 500w ANTEC should do you great.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jan 2008 at 11:55 PM
Default Update :)
UPDATE

Well, I've figured out what parts to choose but i still need your decision if these are quality parts or just plain junk!

For the PC Case, i'm keeping the HP Pavillion a1K Series Case as it looks shiney and new :P

For the Processor, i'm thinking of getting the Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 1333 MHZ - $190 After Promo/at ATIC

For the Motherboard, i'm thinking of the ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA775 - $143 After Promo

For the Memory, i'm probably getting the OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 Ram - $26.99 After Promo and Rebates

For the Power Supply Unit, I will probably buy the Antec Truepower Trio 650W Power Supply - $59.99 After Promo and Rebates

For the Operating System, it really depends, if my Preinstalled Operating System (Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005) can't cope with the new motherboard because afterall, the Operating System was Preinstalled from HP, i'll probably get Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit OEM - $113 After Promo or at ATIC (Regular Price)

For the Hard Drive, my Maxtor 200GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard Drive is doing quite well. With around 95% reliablity left and its only been 2 years! So i'm probably keeping the Hard Drive.

After a few months since i will probably not have enough to buy a Video Card right away, i'll probably get the XFX Geforce 8800GT 256MB Video Card - $189.99 After Promo and Rebates

The Total (Excluding the Video Card / with Video Card) BEFORE taxes (12% in BC) Would be $533 CDN / $723 CDN.

So What do you think of my choice of hardware? Should i do this?

Thanks and Reply!!! - Happy Holidays!!!
Tim
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Jan 2008 at 1:16 AM
YOU'RE BUILDING! YAY!

Keeping the case will save you some money.. provided you find it’s actually able to keep such a power system cool enough, and fit everything you need. Speedfan is a good program which well help you determine how cool or hot you’re running.

Great processor and RAM choice.

Motherboard.. too many new options.. and I’m kinda torn, but I think I would stick to the P35 chipset myself.. I’ve heard a lot of bad press about that board, but I think you could do a lot worse. Wouldn’t call it a bad board. This place does some great testing and comparison: http://www.xbitlabs.com/ as does this: http://motherboards.org/reviews/index.html but there aren’t as many reviewed on there

Antec is such a low-budget alternative to such a powerful system.. Consider using a PCP&C, OCZ, Corsair, Seasonic, or even Enermax to the Antec. Antec is NOT a gamer's choice brand. Personal favorite: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817703005 If you want to do a future SLI look towards this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817703009

I would stick to XP. The truth of the matter is that even with the directx10 option you will get lower fps on Vista with the same specs as you do on XP. This has been proven and discussed over and over again on countless independent reviews and gamer's boards. The only positive is some small rendering improvements which most gamers seem to think isn't good enough to warrant the lower fps. Just something to think about.

Make sense to keep your HDD. If you do decide to swap it, look at WD or Seagate.

No arguments on the gpu

Make sure to get yourself a good cooler. Especially if you keep that case which has very very limited cooling and airflow compared to true gamer's cases. I like Zalman coolers or the Arctic Freezer 7 personally.

Also, why not get yourself a proper sound card? Personally I'm fed up and then some with Creative, but I couldn't be happier with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16829156005 That Realtek audio option is really gonna drag any serious gaming you try to do down. And really.. your system is so capable otherwise, why do this to it?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jan 2008 at 1:35 AM
The Motherboard - It needs to be mATX 9.6 x 9.6 inches. I also need onboard video for the time being till i can collect enough to purchase the video card XP

I'll add more to this post later.

Happy Holidays,
Tim
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Jan 2008 at 2:14 AM
I see.. to fit your case no doubt.. :\ It seems a waste to me.. such a powerful system attempt limited by needing a micro board for a case not built to cool or house a powerful system in the firstplace.. Nice that it looks "shiny" but performance is something to consider as well BTW that g35 chipset on that board has been noted by several review sites as running hot. So you've got a micro hot running board in a case with poor cooling capabilities plus your 8800 is no light runner either and I wonder if the Zalman or other large coolers will even fit now.. Seems like you've got yourself a potentially really bad situation here.. If you wanted to build a light gaming pc, sure. But you're going all out on the performance specs here while cutting cooling consideration dangerously short.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jan 2008 at 4:36 AM
Well, first off, people have made powerful systems with mATX boards. Similar setups too or even Quad cores (as noted at NCIX Forums).

The Cooling in the case is actually sufficent right now as i have an Intel P4 519K Processor (with stock heatsink) and a Video Card with a Passive Heatsink, the temperatures are actually quite good.

IDLE / LOAD
CPU 34 / 64 Celcius (Fan @ 35%)
Ambient 27 / 34 Celcius (Fan @ 35%)
HDD 27 / 32 Celcius (Fan @ 35%)

The Temperatures look fine to me. If i needed additional cooling, i COULD always add a better heatsink (Arctic Freezer 7, i've measured) or upgrade it with a aftermarket water cooling kit ($120 CDN, fits most cases, checked all clearence)

Remember, the 8800 GT has a fan in it also Though it doesn't exhaust like the GTS with the dual slot cooler, it will still run cool enough.

So the cooling should be sufficent enough (with fans running at about 35% or greater) but if it isn't, i'll just upgrade the cooling fans, the heatsink and more.

Even the tuniq tower heatsink would fit in the case though it would be a couple of millimetres from touching the panel.

So don't doubt me when i say the temperatures should be sufficent because the ventilation is okay even with my current setup.

Happy Holidays,
Tim
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 4th Jan 2008 at 4:45 AM
Comparing your current setup to the one you're proposing is a joke :$ In and of itself but taking into account you're building a machine which in comparison is going to be played on and stressed in ways your current machine isn't even capable of this makes it even more true. But hey it's your $ and your system.. do as you please.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Jan 2008 at 5:32 AM
If you think about it for a sec, just think about the temperature output of the components. They ARE NOT going to surpass the Threshold on FULL LOAD either that the ambient temperature will be a HUGE difference. If you don't take this into account by how much heat is displaced thruout the system's case and the movement of the air (Case Fan), then fine. Just ignore my posts. Temperatures are GOING to be FINE. If not, I'M GOING TO PUT A NEW HEATSINK TO REPLACE THE STOCK HEATSINK SINCE I'M GOING TO OVERCLOCK!!!! and REPLACE the case fan if you didn't read the last few sentences of my last post. If you can't understand that line, don't even bother responding.

Happy Holidays,
Tim
shiny!
retired moderator
#12 Old 4th Jan 2008 at 11:49 PM
You have to be the single most rude person I've ever met on this board O.o Not to mention the most ignorant/arrogant combination.. I was only trying to help you. Like I said before.. it's your money and computer to do with as you please, but I was just trying to give you the low-down on stuff. There was no reason to have a tantrum and start screaming at me in return. Don't worry though, I will be avoiding any of your threads like the plague in the future.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 21st Feb 2008 at 4:12 PM
Haha. This topic was really entertaining to read!