Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2008 at 5:13 PM
Default Is It My Processor or My Graphics Card?
Okay, I've been having problems with Sims 2 when I run it for too long or I don't lower the graphics settings. It likes to randomly crash on me. Up until now, I thought it was my processor, but I just realized my processor is actually 3.20 GHz! My graphics card is ATI Radeon 200 Series. So is it my graphics card that needs upgrading, or my processor?
I've used Macs all my life, so I don't know much about Windows hardware and how it works. Could someone please explain this to me, in layman's terms? ^^;

These are my computer's specs, in case you're interested:
Windows XP, Media Center Edition
Made by emachines
Intel Celeron D CPU
3.20 Ghz
448 MB of RAM
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Jan 2008 at 6:31 PM
Your processor is more than fine. However you don't actually have a graphics card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xpress_200

The ATI you have is actually only an integrated chipset and I would say is the cause of your trouble. Trying to play games on an integrated chipset is not a pleasant experience. Also your RAM is on the low side, but the biggest problem here I’m afraid is the integrated chipset. Are you on a laptop? I’m afraid if you are on a laptop with that chipset there is no upgrading your graphics.

If you're on a desktop myself or someone else can reccomend a graphics card update. However if you're on a laptop your only options are to either lower your graphics options or buy a new computer.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 12:24 AM
Oh no, I'm on a desktop. Well, I figured that's what it was. Guess I'll have to go get one. How would I go about upping my RAM, though?
Scholar
#4 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 12:42 AM
Check your motherboard layout for the type of RAM slots it has--I'd recommend getting an extra gigabyte (that should be sufficient for The Sims 2).

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
shiny!
retired moderator
#5 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 2:09 AM
http://crucial.com/ Go there and use the system scanner. That's the easiest way. You most likely have DDR2 ram which needs to be installed in identical pairs. My guess is you currently have 2x256mb in there right now. If this is the case then you can keep the memory you have and simply purchase two additional matching sticks (assuming you have 4 memory slots..). If you have DDR2 memory with only 1 512mb (hopefully emachines wasn't that poor) then I reccomend pulling the ram out and adding 2x512mb from Crucial, since the sticks really need to match to make proper use of the dual channel technology. OR if you also only have 2 memory slots you will pull the ram and do the above as well. Adding ram up to 1GB would be good advice.

Also if you can tell me the exact model of emachines I can give you a graphic's card recommendation and also tell you if you would need to upgrade your psu to support one. The fact that you have an emachines and also integrated graphics suggests you prob do, but it also looks like a newer machine so maybe not.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 9:14 AM
CPU, video card, and RAM
All the above ... :p

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jan 2008 at 10:18 PM
Okay, thanks guys! Turns out I'd have to get a new memory card, too, if I want to get a better graphics card, so I'm just going to get a whole new computer and my siblings can use this one.
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 30th Jan 2008 at 11:09 PM
Don't get an emachines this time Stay away from Emachines, Acer and Gateway (didn't ever pay much attention to Gateway pcs in ages so I decided to do research and found out that Acer bought them, which is very bad news).

Things to look for in a new pc:

2.0ghz processor or greater is ideal.
XP will run things faster than Vista, and is more stable. Considering Windows 7 is due out in 2009 I have a feeling Vista will never even take before it's replaced.
Get 1gb for XP or 2gb for Vista, but if you get the minimum from the manufacturer and upgrade yourself it will be cheaper.
Make sure you have a dedicated graphics card. No more integrated chips. If you get a computer with an integrated chipset and intend to upgrade on your own, you will prob have to upgrade the psu to be able to run the graphics card of your choice. Upgrading on your own may or may not be very cost effective in this situation.

Good luck to you!
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Feb 2008 at 4:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Don't get an emachines this time Stay away from Emachines, Acer and Gateway (didn't ever pay much attention to Gateway pcs in ages so I decided to do research and found out that Acer bought them, which is very bad news).

Acer bought Gateway? No more Gateways for me then. That sucks I have an account with them