Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 3:20 PM
Default Tan Coloured Line on Trousers
Just when you think you're finished. XD

I was taking pictures of an outfit for upload and noticed that the trousers have a strange tan coloured line on them when zoomed out, but not when zoomed in. It happens on all ages and even on the original outfit that I made no changes to.

Anyone have any idea what's causing it and/or how to fix it?

Thanks.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 5:20 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Jan 2021 at 5:32 PM.
Could be an UV issue, or a problem with the mipmaps (how did you apply the texture - Bodyshop or SimPE? DXT3/5 or otherwise?)

Could be a display issue if it happens for other items, too.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jan 2021 at 6:26 AM
The only thing I've seen it on is these trousers. Nothing else seems to be affected by it. I just copied the textures over from the original outfit in Bodyshop, but the original outfit has the same problem.

I checked the UV map and all the textures line up with it properly.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Jan 2021 at 2:54 PM
Do you have the mesh and recolor files? I could take a look and see if I can find anything.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Jan 2021 at 4:02 PM
Thanks.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  untested.rar (313.6 KB, 3 downloads)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Jan 2021 at 5:19 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Jan 2021 at 5:39 PM.
First of all, they're all set as simskin, which could be part of the problem. You'll also want the shoes as "SimStandardMaterial" so they don't affect the two other groups (possibly the suspenders too if you want them alpha editable)

The "Bottom" group should be the anything skin colored, and you may want it to have opacity as -1 for the mesh.

Does look like you can combine the "bottom" and "pants" groups - seems they use the same part of the UVmap, so technically you don't need two groups for that (unless you want the suspenders alpha editable).

Ideally you want the "bottom" group for a bottom-type outfit as the skin group (simskin in the TXMT). This should be set to -1 in the opacity setting in the comments, it should have skin parts (if there are any, if not use it for items that can be mapped onto the regular skin without overlapping anything on most tops). It's not a "set in stone" thing, but you usually do want the first group to have opacity -1, or you can get some strange opacity issues.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jan 2021 at 10:35 AM
I checked further and the original here https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard...32404.msg707252 (post 37) has all the same problems.

All groups are labelled as simskin and the alpha group is set as 0 instead of -1. The original actually has no bottom group, just pants, alpha, shoe, but I couldn't get my redo to show up with those groups. I had to rename one as bottom.

I'm pretty sure that the suspenders are supposed to be alpha editable, so you can have the trousers with or without suspenders, but it doesn't work. Even on the original. The suspenders are still visible, just colourless. So nice and confusing. XD Tried relabelling the part as SimStandardMaterial, but still shows the suspenders even when it shouldn't.

So only the bottom/top/body group should ever be simskin? And everything should be -1?

Going right back to Skell's trousers which they were originally copied off, they have the alpha part correctly labelled as SimStandardMaterial and the alpha part works, so it looks like it went wrong when they were shoe swapped and I helpfully copied all the wrongness. XD Turns out that the line shows up no matter what the pants are set to though, so it may just be the way the light hits them.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Jan 2021 at 4:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 27th Jan 2021 at 4:32 PM.
The Bottom/Top/Body group should be the skin parts and have -1 and be set as SimSkin, but there's really no limit to which ones need to be SimSkin or SimStandardMaterial.

SimStandardMaterial is for anything that's alpha editable without the skin showing, so this group can be partly/fully transparent or invisible. This one can (and should have for hair or transparent layers) opacity settings to layer properly.

SimSkin shows skin wherever the alpha is black on the UVmap. All of these usually need to be -1 in opacity to layer at the bottom, or the SimStandardMaterial parts might try to show through (there's a small blending issue between them)

---

Had a go at switching around the resources a bit, so the main pants group is the pants instead of the suspenders, so they're alpha editable (haven't properly fixed the textures, I just quickly swapped in SimPE, so you'll probably want to do that in Bodyshop later anyway) - maybe see if it works better now, and I can talk you through the changes if need be?
Attached files:
File Type: zip  afvictrousers-TEST.zip (496.4 KB, 1 downloads)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 3:11 PM
Thanks heaps for all your help (and I'll remember that SimStandardMaterial etc. stuff), but unfortunately now the pants show textures on the shoulder. I think I'll just accept that they aren't going to be alpha editable.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 5:19 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Jan 2021 at 5:29 PM.
Oh, didn't see that bit. It's probably a seam in the pants or something, but it's mapped up with the arm. It's possible the previous setup was the better one after all.

I think the fastest way to fix this is to keep the original files, but set the Shoe and Pants TXMTs to SimStandardMaterial (Bottom should be SimSkin, it's not going to be alpha editable - you'll probably going to do some UV switcharoos for that to happen). Edit the Opacity in the Bottom mesh to -1 and switch it out in the mesh file. I think that's all you'll need to do for this to work.

--

I'm not sure if there absolutely has to be a group called Top/bottom/Body in these types of clothes, but generally there is. What I do know is that it's the SimSkin/SimStandardMaterial that decides which shader the TXMT uses, so the group name doesn't matter for that paricular part.