Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2020 at 5:31 PM
Default Help with editing a mod?
Hello! I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in, but I didn't know where else to put this.

I've always found the drink options in this game very underwhelming, so I wanted to experiment with some mods. I found Simslice's beer mod and it seems great for those wild parties, but I can't play with it because it causes them to sometimes randomly propose marriage.. That's a big no-no for me. I was wondering if there was a way that I could edit the file just so they can't autonomously propose with this mod, or if someone could do it for me? Or is it impossible? Thank you.
Advertisement
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#2 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 6:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CosmicEcho
Hello! I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in, but I didn't know where else to put this.

I've always found the drink options in this game very underwhelming, so I wanted to experiment with some mods. I found Simslice's beer mod and it seems great for those wild parties, but I can't play with it because it causes them to sometimes randomly propose marriage.. That's a big no-no for me. I was wondering if there was a way that I could edit the file just so they can't autonomously propose with this mod, or if someone could do it for me? Or is it impossible? Thank you.

Generally a question like this would belong in the create section under modding, but since you want help to edit someone else's mod -it is best to get their permission first or is allowed in their terms before attempting to do so. You could also learn from the tutorials(and get help as necessary there) in the create section to create your independent/ completely own content. Asking someone to create content for you is also seen as "requesty" and that is not allowed on site unless the creator has specifically stated they do not mind requests in the thread. Here you can find siite rules for future reference.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 6:49 AM
You don't need to ask permission to edit someone else's mod for your own private use. The terms people released their mods under pertain to distribution, I don't think it makes any sense to try to restrict what people can do to files on their own computer, as there is really no way to know what people are doing to their own files, anyway.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 6:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fascisthater
Generally a question like this would belong in the create section under modding, but since you want help to edit someone else's mod -it is best to get their permission first or is allowed in their terms before attempting to do so. You could also learn from the tutorials(and get help as necessary there) in the create section to create your independent/ completely own content. Asking someone to create content for you is also seen as "requesty" and that is not allowed on site unless the creator has specifically stated they do not mind requests in the thread. Here you can find siite rules for future reference.

They don't need permission when it's for their own game, only for redistribution. Modding help would be a better place to ask though.

You haven't included a file OP so no way to look at it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 10:47 AM Last edited by CosmicEcho : 3rd Oct 2020 at 11:05 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
They don't need permission when it's for their own game, only for redistribution. Modding help would be a better place to ask though.

You haven't included a file OP so no way to look at it.

Hi! Sorry about that, I wasn't sure if I'm allowed to post links to external sites. The mod I downloaded was from here.

https://archive.org/details/simslicebeerkeg

I tried to attach the zip from my computer in case external links are not allowed
Attached files:
File Type: zip  SimSlice Beer Keg.zip (300.6 KB, 9 downloads)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 11:27 AM
Wow, whoever made this mod wanted to make absolutely sure that no one could edit it or figure out how it works, lol.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Wow, whoever made this mod wanted to make absolutely sure that no one could edit it or figure out how it works, lol.

Oh, really? That's a real bummer.. I had no idea it was like that, if that's the case I'm sorry for the trouble.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#8 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 11:37 AM
Field Researcher
#9 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 12:09 PM
Simslice is using their own method to name BHAVs. Most of them are called Simslice.com followed by a number (for example Simslice.com01) instead of "Interaction drink", "Function Init" and so on which is common among modders.
To disable proposing:
If you are familiar with SimPE and BHAVs:
Open Simslice.com10
Change line 2: [private 0x1038] Simslice.com11()]
to a no operation (sleep primitive)
[prim 0x0000 Sleep]
don't change true and false target!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 12:24 PM Last edited by CosmicEcho : 3rd Oct 2020 at 2:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by clsve
Simslice is using their own method to name BHAVs. Most of them are called Simslice.com followed by a number (for example Simslice.com01) instead of "Interaction drink", "Function Init" and so on which is common among modders.
To disable proposing:
If you are familiar with SimPE and BHAVs:
Open Simslice.com10
Change line 2: [private 0x1038] Simslice.com11()]
to a no operation (sleep primitive)
[prim 0x0000 Sleep]
don't change true and false target!

Hey! I was able to open the file in SimPE but I don't know how to change it to no operation... Could you explain that to me?

Edit: I think I might've done it. I'll have to test to see. Seems promising though!

Edit2: I ran a test with your edit for a while and there was not a single proposal. It seems to be working great. You are amazing, thank you so so much!