Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 10:50 AM Last edited by Abrahadarba : 15th Dec 2010 at 2:14 AM. Reason: Update on Progress
Default Custom major 'College - Research...' icon inclusion into menues
Okay, I got nowhere to go but downhill from here -

I'm looking to incorporate the custom icon I made for a custom major I've created into the 'College - Research...' option of the action menu on bookcases, and I just don't know where to start.
Having had a brief gander at the Renaissance bookshelf, I get the impression I'm looking to alter a BHAV code, but other than that I'm totally flabbergastered: where should I be starting (in terms of research/tutorials/knowing about modding)?

Or am I jumping in at the deep end (this is my first attempt at creating a mod for the game)?

Just while I remember I'm also looking to tie some careers to the major - any hints?

Okay - my post of the IlluminiSim major was accepted by MTS, so I'm now looking at making a deeper cut in the game: I've modified the code of the major to a point where I can still select it as a major for my sims, but the game keeps crashing out on me when I try to access the major and skills panel of the UI, and Research/Assignments (& I assume term papers as well) all fail to exit from their respective procedures properly - when I figure out some more, I'll let you know...

Dig it -

To make a short story long, I'm trying to include the custom icon I made for a major to show up in the Research, Assignment and Term Paper interactions (for a start)

Anyways, I've created a customized Effects List naming the uiHeadlineGroup_(custom major)Grades with instances ranging from 'single plus' through to 'double minus, and included another file of Effect strings for those effects (is that going to be enough to define a custom effect, or am I going to have to create the graphic for it as well?)...

The specific problem I'm now having is in regards to a line in the College - Modify Grade BHAV that calls one of the effects in question: I can get the operand associated with the effect type to register any of the effects 'uiHeadlineGroups_...' with values from 00 to FE, but not for values of effects from 100 + (which half of the standard Major effects fall under):

As an aside, I noticed that the operand value FF changes the effect to 'Affecting default effect', not signifying the uiHeadlineGroup effect for 'Drama Single Plus', which is the value of the 0x00FF line in the Effects string...

The question is: how do I go about manipulating the operands in said line of the BHAV to get it to register the effects beyond 0xFE?!? I figure if I can sort that out, the line of code can test out my defined Effects and I can continue with the process of refining my custom major.

Hoping for a reply, but just thinking out loud, really

By the by, I got the Improved package stable again in regards to accessing the skills and major panel - it's just those pesky interactions that cancel out...

yet another update:

I dunno how safe this is going to be in regards to creating conflicts with other mods, but I've overridden some of the files associated with the University objects package, and I now have the interactions executing cleanly; problem is, I still can't get those fnording icons to display.
Extra additions to the effects listing I created are 'uiHeadlineGroup_IlluminiSimGrade(s)_Default' and 'uiEffects-Billboardtextures-IlluminiSimGrads(s)', with their associated instances based on observations made in the hex tab of the Effects List package of the University file, so I think I've got all the required effects covered for the inclusion of them into the interactions. Now I'm trying to figure out the role of the slot file from group 0x7FD46CD0 (instance 0x00000064) this appears to be location of the 'pointers' telling an interaction where to find the particular effect to be displayed when interacting with Research, Assignments and Term Papers, but I can't really be certain because I can't figure out how to associate a particular slot file entry with the effect its calling...

The next idea I have is to (somehow) transfer the slot file in question into the improved major package and add another slot entry pointing to the effect list I created, then give that imported file the same group ID as the original file, overriding that one - hey, it worked with the errors I was getting with the unrecognized Effect Name - but quite frankly, I'm a bit scared of trying out that particular idea

If anyone out there is listening, feel free to jump in with your own crazy ideas (I know you're out there, I can see the views counter rising...)