Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 7:15 AM Last edited by niol : 23rd Jul 2007 at 5:21 AM. Reason: Can clarify it better now...
Default Modding - Wallpaper: wallMaterials_tslocator_gmdc (default wallpapers have meshes); Settings for bump-mapping; Update 2006-07
in my search of wall materils, I've found a file called "wallMaterials_tslocator_gmdc"from TS2,
can someone think of some reasons why default wallpapers have meshes while few haven't?
Most of them have the same amount of face count and vertex count. Very few have different ones.

***Updated***
May check the *updated* attached, it contains other related files like gmnd etc...

1. The description for how HCP products (except terrain paint/ground covering) can be modified for bump-mapping, may read here

2. How to interconvert txtr and LIFO files, may read here

Credits:
SnowStorm has shown bump-mapped wallpapers can be cloned from in-game files and it works.

Related threads:
walls bump maps
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/s...ad.php?t=161335
Modding - Wallpaper: wallMaterials_tslocator_gmdc (default wallpapers have meshes); Settings for bump-mapping
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=1247829
Attached files:
File Type: rar  wallMaterials.rar (14.9 KB, 58 downloads)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 7:41 AM
Where was this file located ? Is it possible that different walls share unique meshe ?

While i'm at it, and hoping this will not be considered as highjacking, in your search of wall materials did you find a way to add bump map to wall ? I' ve found default wallpapers with bump map, others without, and a few with bump designed to be full flat.

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 7:44 AM
Well if you can find the gmdc you should be able to add a bumpmap, because bumpmapping is enabled at mesh level.
Scholar
#4 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 8:21 AM
Till now I've only found bump map textures of in game walls (it's in 64x128). but not the gmdc, That's why i'm very interested in Niol's research..

Dear Inge, would it be possible to explain the procedure for adding bump map to wall mesh ?

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
#5 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 8:58 AM
Well I don't know about wall meshes specifically as this is the first I heard they had been located, but on an object you can add a bumpmap to the object that does not have one by both adding the extra fields to the material description and by exporting it as .smd and ticking the box for enabling a bumpmap when you reimport it. You need to do both things. Having found the mesh at least makes it theoretically possible
Instructor
#6 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 1:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the wall mesh itself is already bump map capable. It's getting a wall texture package to have the bump texture and the material definition setup correctly. Homecrafter looks like it does not do this, but if you clone walls thru Simpe, if I recall correctly it will build the package with the bump data (as long as you pick a wall that already had bumps).

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Scholar
#7 Old 15th Jun 2006 at 7:20 AM
The bump texture and the color texture are separated package. I've tried cloning via HCP and SimPE with no result. It looks like a package must be (re)build with different parts.
That's where niol discovery has something to do I guess...

Instructor
#8 Old 15th Jun 2006 at 11:20 AM
I just used SimPE to clone one of the panel type walls, and it did build a package with a bump texture and a material definition that refers to it. Haven't tried changing the bump and seeing if it's visible in game yet though.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Jun 2006 at 6:29 PM Last edited by niol : 16th Jun 2006 at 6:46 AM.
pixelhate,

No, you didn't hijack the thread, you helped the thread "grow". Thanks...

Hi All,

Thanks for the input, so the gmdc from the "...\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Sims3D\Objects03.package" is a wallpaper-mesh collection file probably to facilitate bump-mapping for wallpapers.

So, Is it the bump-map of these default wallpapers that makes in-game wallpapers unable to be recoloured as transparent, translucent or else?
Or is it that these txmt properties of wallpapers were "fixated/locked" dysfunctional?

Hehe... seemingly, the era of mesh-based wallpapers may come...! ... once how that can be done is sorted out and confirmed possible.

I wish I could find a similar file for floor tile.

In my rather old and limited experiences, I've tried to clone the swim-pool wallpapers, but failed. In that case, I'd to search for all related swim-pool wallpaper files to gather a package. Still couldn't find out where the effect was added to them.

In the example of a particular wallpaper type like "wall-fieldstonet", at the object-workshop -> "start" -> "other" -> walls" -> Masonry
If I clone the "wall-fieldstonet"(the one without any wood frame), no bump-map will be cloned.
If I clone the "Fay's Fieldstone with Enclosed Double Timbering in Dark Wood"(the ones with frames or extra materials), bump-maps will be included.

so, it depends on whether the chosen wallpaper requires its corresponding bump-map if any.

My another question here is whether it'll work if those bump-map properties were added from the clone to a a new wallpaper's txmt, will the new wallpaper inherit the same bump-pattern?

Seemingly, the basic wall is just some variable lining loci, limittedly bound to the the grid layer sheets but especially the lower sheet layer in terms of the dimension of the layer sheets. The top and bottm sides are limitted to 2 sizes (the normal and the diagonal). The 2 narrow sides and the top are done by some wall-edge textures. The 2 flat sides are represented by wallpapers. The bottom of the wall is empty and can be seen through. So, there's a serial set of wallpapers for the presentation of the walls.
Scholar
#10 Old 16th Jun 2006 at 9:47 PM
Wall Bump Maps (BM) are present in Maxis's game :
in ...\TSData\Res\Sims3D\Objects06.package e.g:
- Filename: wall-brickred-base_txtr, Group: 0x1C0532FA, Instance: 0xFF9D5F39
- Filename: wall-brickred-base-bump_txtr, Group: 0x1C0532FA, Instance: 0xFFEE483B
both with LIFO reference:##0x1C050000!
I've tried to clone this wall with HomeCrafter and with SimPe, in hope that both textures (color & BM) will be retained, in order to replace them with custom contents. No success.
Beside that, texture-formats for these walls, when exported, are 64x128 in Mipmap level 10.
I'm used to 256x512 or better 256x768.

I've tried to export and clone the wall_bricked only (faceCount=4, vertexCount=8) out of the tslocator_Gmdc found by Niol, but I ended with a 2 wall objects lost in a forest of dots, in Milkshape. (There are more than 200 meshes in that package).

The idea was to rebuilding a package wall out of different parts, including BM, and to clone it.

Despite the tips given by SnowStorm and Inge Jones I wasn't able to add bump map to a custom walls, so far.. total noob here :-(

Does somebody has a link to info about how to build a package from different parts?
I'll take advantage of any useful infos. Thank you.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Jun 2006 at 3:11 AM Last edited by niol : 15th Nov 2006 at 5:13 PM.
One can easily interconvert txtr and LIFO indeed.
LIFO is used as an extension to txtr, and in some cases, it can be used to store a common texture of a size for several txtr files to avoid duplicate textures for different txtr files. For instance, in HCP terrain paint/ground covering files have 2 identical texture files, and they can be merged together by a LIFO file.

Updated 20061103 - 3rd Nov, 2006:

From LIFO to TXTR:

1. One can export the texture(s) out of the wanted largest LIFO(s) by right-clicking at the texture presentation box.

2. Then, go to the txtr file.

3. By means of DDS utility, right-click at the region for the graphic and select "build DXT"

4. filter is probably set to none

5. open the texture exported from the largest LIFO. (DDS utility will take care of all the smaller sizes itself, and that's why only the largest texture matters.)

6. commit.

7. Save the file.

8. One can decide if to keep the LIFO file.

From TXTR to LIFO: (a little bit trickier)

1. just export the textures out from the txtr file.

2. There're 3 ways (2a, 2b,2c) to go for this step.

2a. either find a size-matching LIFO file from the game files
[eg: if the required image size is "512 x 512", find one LIFO file predefined as "512 x 512". Extract it from the game packages, re-import it back to the on-working package. May build your own LIFO import libarary for future usages.]; or

2b. re-use any in-game LIFO file with a bit of hex-editing
[Either can't find a matching one from the game package ones, or just save your time to seek when with some confidence on hex-editing.
Just import a LIFO file into the package (preferably a non-square one [Say, 64 x 128], so you can know what is what later) -> save the package -> memorise or write down the original LIFO dimension sizes -> switch to the hex tab -> set to dec. view -> find and click on (by taking turns) the matching numbers which are listed nearby approximately-consecutively kinda a few to several lines away from the top, alter the value at the singles to the size you want -> commit -> save the package -> may reload the package before move-on.]; or

2c. "add" a new file and set it as LIFO with a bit of hex-editing. [Right-click at the file list window -> click "create resource(s)" -> switch to the resource tab -> click on the drop-down list of file type and choose LIFO -> commit -> save the package and may follow the routine as stated in the previous part 2b.]

3. import the textures (from the txtr files) into the LIFO file(s)

4. Fix TGI

5. Commit

6a. ***Updated*** (I've to apologise that, this step may not work well coz SimPE will mess up the guid, location quotes of HCP products..., so skip this :slap: me)

7. Save the file.

As for the mesh thing or other rebuilding things, I can't help and don't know enough.
Scholar
#12 Old 18th Jun 2006 at 6:14 PM
Thanks niol, it might be very useful for the follow-up

SnowStorm, Would you, eventualy, share the file you've mentioned ? so I can go further in my investigation..

Instructor
#13 Old 18th Jun 2006 at 11:15 PM
I did some further testing it looks like even though SimPE can make a package, it is not made correctly, as creating 4 new recolors based on the same panel wall only showed one in game. The bump texture definately affects the look of the wall, but in a different way then objects and clothing. You need to change the filename to "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" in the SimPE Cloned package inorder for it to show up properly.

The zip attached has the cloned packages shown in the pic.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Downloads.zip (226.2 KB, 44 downloads)

Scholar
#14 Old 18th Jun 2006 at 11:37 PM
Thanks guys, week is going to be long before week-end.... :-)

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 21st Jun 2006 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SnowStorm
I did some further testing it looks like even though SimPE can make a package, it is not made correctly, as creating 4 new recolors based on the same panel wall only showed one in game. The bump texture definately affects the look of the wall, but in a different way then objects and clothing. You need to change the filename to "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" in the SimPE Cloned package inorder for it to show up properly.

The zip attached has the cloned packages shown in the pic.

Thanks for finding this out :thumb:. So all you have to do is change the file name to aaa... I had just figured out how to do bumpmapped walls from HCP files, but this is much easier!! - And it works for floors too!

you can still pm me with requests and stuff...only i'm not very often logged in at the moment...
busy with real life, try later again ;)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2006 at 12:09 PM Last edited by niol : 22nd Jun 2006 at 6:14 PM.
SnowStorm,

There're a few questions:
1. how did you come up with "##0x00018833!" instead of HCP "##0x7???????"? Is it just the resourcegroupid of that particular type of wallpaper?
stringsetgroupid = resourcegroupid = guid = 0x00018833
in an hcp wallpaper, stringsetgroupid = resourcegroupid =/= guid
So, why to make guid = the other two?
2. simpe-cloned bump-mapped wallpapers have no cs (Cell shader?) properties as those shown in wallpapers by HCP. Is it that the presence of cs properties will inhibit/override the normal txmt properties?
I've tried to alter the values for cs properties, and it seemed nothing changed. But, properly I did it incorrectly... Anyway, what're the cs properties exactly for in your understanding?
3. the filename "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" is from HCP wallpapers?
4. seemingly, you used hcp waallpaer's xml file while using the clone value?
5. how to use spec map texture if you know?

Thanks in advance...

After all, thanks for showing a way to do the bump-map...
Instructor
#17 Old 22nd Jun 2006 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
SnowStorm,

There're a few questions:
1. how did you come up with "##0x00018833!" instead of HCP "##0x7???????"? Is it just the resourcegroupid of that particular type of wallpaper?
stringsetgroupid = resourcegroupid = guid = 0x00018833
in an hcp wallpaper, stringsetgroupid = resourcegroupid =/= guid
So, why to make guid = the other two?
2. simpe-cloned bump-mapped wallpapers have no cs (Cell shader?) properties as those shown in wallpapers by HCP. Is it that the presence of cs properties will inhibit/override the normal txmt properties?
I've tried to alter the values for cs properties, and it seemed nothing changed. But, properly I did it incorrectly... Anyway, what're the cs properties exactly for in your understanding?
3. the filename "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" is from HCP wallpapers?
4. seemingly, you used hcp waallpaer's xml file while using the clone value?
5. how to use spec map texture if you know?

Thanks in advance...

After all, thanks for showing a way to do the bump-map...

1) That was from a test I was doing to get the SimPE clone to not override the base object. SimPE didn't include any type of hashing, and I had thought that might be a problem. But it wasn't. SimPE gives the wall a random guid. And in the end all I had to do was change the filename in the xml file.
2) SimPE doesn't include the cs values, but the plane clone via SimPE vs the clone from HCP looked exactly the same. So I'm not sure if those are needed or not or if they even do anything.
3) Yes if you look at the walls HCP creates, they all had the "aaa...." in the file name. Added that to the ones SimPE creates then allowed all the clones and the original to display in the catalog.
4) not sure what you mean
5) never played with it.

Scholar
#18 Old 22nd Jun 2006 at 10:35 PM
Pheeeew I'm learning a lot here even if I'm not capting everything...

The textures files that affects games items are :
-alpha map texture / deals with transparency/ named alpha in game
-bump map texture/ deals with visual 3D enhancement/ named normal or bump in game
-color map texture/ deals with aspect of the item/ named base in game

Light and reflexion are customised by values in the propreties in the package via SimPe. Correct ?
There's no such things as diffuse, specular or displacement map
in Sims 2. Right ?

Till now bump (love that word!) maps where added to clothes, skins and objects.
SnowStorm (thanks to him !) has proved that it can be added to walls; there's no reason for not having bumped floors or terrains.
Bump maps are, in my opinion, a great addition to the visual and graphic pleasure of the game or movies developpment. Adding bump map to objects should be encouraged. Unfortunately it divide the players 's world in two : those who's graphic card affords bump and those who's graphic card doesn't.
But for those who may enjoy, it shouldn't slow the game as bump (and alpha) are treated by the graphic card, leaving the CPU resources free while enhancing the 3d quality of the game.

I'd like to : make a tool for people to know if they're bump enabled similar to semloh's one but for walls, to share bump mapped wall (and floor ?) and to make a template for creators to clone and to update or produce walls with bumps.

Is there any sense wanting to have alpha map for walls ?

-Mia : would you let us know more about how to do with HCP ?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Jun 2006 at 3:01 AM Last edited by niol : 23rd Jun 2006 at 3:13 AM.
SnowStorm,
Thanks again..
as for Q4, well, ignore it. it's not important at all.

pixelhate

Some default floor tiles have bump maps. bump-map may be added through txmt
However, I'm unsure how that can added into a terrain paint file. A terrain paint file has 2 txtr files with one called "_detail" or something. Probably the latter functions like a bump map.
There's no txmt file in terrain paint files. I've tried to add materil=blah blah blah (a custom txmt file's name, and in that instance, I failed.) in the "floor xml" of a terrain paint file.

In my case, I used LIFO to cmbine the 2 graphics to save the space coz I think they look the same to my eyes at that time.

"Specular map" does exist, but I'm unsure how to use them yet.
stdMatSpecMaskTextureEnabled false/true
stdMatSpecMaskTextureName reggrid
sete stdMatSpecMaskTextureAddressingU tile (tile mirror clamp borderColor)
sete stdMatSpecMaskTextureAddressingV tile (tile mirror clamp borderColor)
sete stdMatSpecMaskTextureAddressingW tile (tile mirror clamp borderColor)

"Light and reflexion are customised by values in the propreties in the package via SimPe. Correct ?"
The former may be or not.
stdMatMinLightRangeHint 4 (1 2 4) [dysfunctional for floor tiles]
But the later is done by
stdMatEnvCubeCoef (R,G,B)
stdMatEnvCubeTextureName reflectionCubeTemplate-envcube
stdMatEnvCubeBlurFactor 0 # min:0 max:64
stdMatEnvCubeMode none (none reflection)
stdMatEnvCubeLockedToCamera false

I'm unsure of what "displacement map" means... I just don't know the term. (Lol, I'm no raphical designer or related...)

I wonder if the game will crash or beomce unstable just because of a graphical card that doesn't support bump-map... (:confused: coz I really have no idea.)

txmt files have an alpha blah blah type..., but I'm unsure if that's what you're looking for. or some property lines...
txtr file is linked thru txmt files, and values in txmt files will affect how the txtr files appear in-game.
txmt files' properties can decide the transparency of txtr files connected through them.
stdMatAlphaBlendMode none (none blend additive addNoSrcAlphaScale)
stdMatAlphaTestEnabled false/true
stdMatAlphaRefValue 127 # min:0 max:255
stdMatAlphaMultiplier 1 # min:-5 max:5
stdMatBaseTextureAlphaReplicate false

For all those common txmt properties:
from the list of "A collection of standard parameterized materials-ts2"

I'm also learning a lot here... Thanks to all involved for all the infos... May I verbally hug you if you're not scared by that?
Now, i'm really excited as these are heated up, more types of floor tiles and wallpapers will come more.
Scholar
#20 Old 23rd Jun 2006 at 9:34 AM Last edited by pixelhate : 23rd Jun 2006 at 10:23 AM.
Thanks niol for all these useful precisions.

"Displacement mapping is an alternative technique in contrast to bump mapping, normal mapping, and parallax mapping, using a heightmap to cause an effect where the actual geometric position of points over the textured surface are displaced along the surface normal according to the values stored into the texture." From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Or see here

The alpha map i'm refering to is same as in clothing. The idea is to have transparent or "hole" zone in the wall.
I don't think bump could crash the game because of unsupporting graphical card, as bump are added to many other object and used by many people without supporting GC without complains. the files are just not used.

You may hug only if you accept some in return :-)

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Jun 2006 at 9:50 AM
The only way I know of causing a hole in the wall, is the wallmask from build objects like windows, doors, arches, or else...
I'm completely a body shop noob. :P
#22 Old 23rd Jun 2006 at 12:43 PM
In my experience if you manage to alpha bits of a wallpaper, you just get the drywall texture showing through, like you get the flesh colour when you cut alpha holes in clothes.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 23rd Jun 2006 at 6:49 PM Last edited by niol : 28th Nov 2007 at 7:36 PM. Reason: Corrected a mistake in the instruction about file naming. Sorry...
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
In my experience if you manage to alpha bits of a wallpaper, you just get the drywall texture showing through, like you get the flesh colour when you cut alpha holes in clothes.

That's a relevant and parallel analogy. Direct and straight-forwards...
When i used transparent texture or other settings, the resultant wallpapers would just show the default wallpaper. Worse in extreme settings like the following, the wallapper cannot show its mesh in-game at all, and it's all dark under "blendmode"="additive"... Well, probably it means nothing to draw or show at all. for that region of the screen.where the wallpapers are on.

So far, only wall-mask can reveal what be supposed to be behind the walls in the 3D illusion.

Update:

001-
Lol, it seems HCP wallpapers can already do the bump-map job. What one has to do is to:

1. @ the package in Simpe,
1a. Create or clone a txtr file for the bump-map.
1b. Name the bump-map without adding the symbol "_" except the suffix "_txtr" for the txtr file names (This is probably a necessary step.)
1c. (Probably necessary to copy the "group ID" before) Fix TGI.
1d. Commit and then save

2 . @ the txmt file,
2a. properties; stdMatNormalMapTextureName = (the new bump-map name)
2b. file list; add (the new bump-map name)
2c. Commit and then save

Note:
a. the presence or absence of cs properties won't affect the bump-map effect. However, the presence of certain lines of the cs properties does affect how the wallpapers look somehow but not much with the default settings. One of those certain cs property settings appeared to be the reflection map, csEnvironmentMapTexture. I'm unsure if there's any difference(s) between csEnvironmentMap and stdMatEnvCubeMode.
b. this's not a procedure for a mesh-based bump-mapped wallpaper.

As for bump-mapped floor tiles:

1. @ the package in Simpe, (just like the same for bump-mapped wallpapers)
1a. Create or clone a txtr file for the bump-map.
1b. Name the bump-map without adding the symbol "_" except the prefix "floor_" and the suffix "_txtr" for the txtr file names (This is probably a necessary step.)
1c. (Probably necessary to copy the "group ID" before) Fix TGI.
1d. Commit and then save

2 . @ the txmt file,
2a. properties: press "add" 4 times for 4 additional lines.
2b. properties: input
stdMatNormalMapTextureAddressingU: tile
2c. properties: input
stdMatNormalMapTextureAddressingV: tile
2d. properties; input
stdMatNormalMapTextureEnabled: true
2e. properties; input
stdMatNormalMapTextureName = (the new bump-map name)
2f. file list; add (the new bump-map name), and probably even the texture name.
2g. Commit and then save

002-
The cs properties at least tell us some of the game default textures used for the wall segment.
After all, I've extracted most of them, I believe.
The top graphic is dark brown in general..
Some of them are completely black with RGB = (000,000,000).
For example, wall-wallpaperw2coffer-bump_txtr is completely black. "coffer" sounds "cover" to me in terms of English in a phonetic way. But, I've no idea what "w2" may mean. Or, I may mischop the string or misinterpret.

May clone the related files and make some invisible or transparent "mutants" for them to see if aa global type of replacement can happen.

But, I'm not very optimistic about it coz i failed to do the same on the tile siding texture. I can be wrong some settings as well. Anyway, probably, there're some unknown and unlocated settings that controls where the files to read in order for certain textures to be used. Or, there're private and public textures.
I'm unsure if the file filelist.txt has anything to do with how the game define what files to be private.
Maybe, a testing to add a custom file in the list can probably do a thing or not.

003-
the attached is the wallpaper graphical extracts and some related extracts.

Terrain paints can have bump map, but I'm unsure how to approach properly yet. Clones of terrain paints from the game can have it.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  wall.rar (334.9 KB, 127 downloads)
Field Researcher
#24 Old 29th Jun 2006 at 8:11 PM
This is exciting stuff guys! Thank you for looking into this, I had hoped it was possible.

I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to the technical stuffage in SimPE, so I'm not sure I probably really understand some of the issues, however my little 'test' wall did seem to turn out (attached pic). This is a plain pink wall, the word bump is plain white letters on black and its quite clearly working!

I was wondering if HC and SimPE use different processes does anyone know, when picking GUID's for walls and floors? I'm always bothered by the word 'random' in connection with GUID's for the problems that causes!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 30th Jun 2006 at 8:46 PM Last edited by niol : 1st Jul 2006 at 5:33 AM.
Pistachio,

Sorry, I don't know much either.

Hi all,

But, as for how to mod the wall for it to be partially "invisible" or "transparent", wall-mask is the trick custom objects can be used to accomplish that purpose.

But for those who wants to mod the wall and its wallcoverings, screen deck wall may be a clue.

First of all, screen deck wall is set to "none" in terms of thickness, so it's just a plain. Its presentation seems to have utilised alpha.
Nevertheless, it may just the setting for for screen deck that enabled alpha but not the default wall.
Page 1 of 2