Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2005 at 6:13 PM Last edited by SuperFly : 17th Jun 2006 at 4:37 PM.
Tutorial- GUID and Group ID changing *Updated for the new GUI*
***Update (at last)***

This tutorial is now redundant- group ID and GUID changing can now be learnt using this tutorial- http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=147886

The downloadable version is in power point form (mainly because word kept messing around with the pictures). I hope it proves useful.

I decided to create this picture tutorial after careers starting appearing with GUID's and Group ID's that were causing careers to overwrite default careers. This guide uses the classic SimPE (I might do one once I get the GUI one)

**After weeks of messing around, I finally got round to posting here again. The first section of this tutorial can be applied to any object, but Group ID really applies (mainly) to careers. If other objects/stuff uses Group ID's please tell me.**

I have plans to do a tutorial for objects with more than one GUID, which I hope to put togethr soon.

Changing the GUID

Step 1- Open your career package and click "Object Data" from the 'Filetypes' menu.

Step 2- Click on the only file in the 'Packed File" list

Step 3- Click on Plugin View.

Step 4- Click on "Get GUID"

Step 5- Type in your username and password, give your object a name and click on 'Register Object'

Step 6- Copy the new GUID into the Orig. GUID and Fallback GUID boxes- afetr this is done click commit (which is in the bottom right hand corner of the screen).

Step 7- Save the file.

:D

This part of the tutorial Applies mainly to careers

Updating the Group ID

To update your career's Group ID, start by repeating steps 1-3 (from above)

Step 1- Write down the GUID for your career i.e. 0x000B9A27

Step 2- Click on the dashed line at the top of the 'Filetypes' menu- do not press anything else!

Step 3- Click on 'Packed File'

Step 4- In the 'Group' box enter in your career's GUID, and replace the first two digits with FF i.e if the GUID was 0x000B9A27 it would become 0xFF0B9A27

Step 5- Click on 'Change all listed', then commit, then save. Voila! You now have a career that does not overwrite any other!

I hope that this picture tutorial helps out all budding career creators and any other people having GUID difficulty.

Correcting the Group ID for new versions of SimPE Very very simple- I've only just worked out how- Click this button and click update- nothing else!

This button updates the Group ID and makes it 0xFFFFFFFF- which will prevent overriding of other careers.

Hope this helps,

SuperFly
Attached files:
File Type: zip  GUID tutorial.zip (2.37 MB, 890 downloads) - View custom content

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2005 at 7:24 PM
Thank you so very much!! I tried changing my GUID and Group ID following another tutorial and I couldn't seem to make it work, but this showed me what I was doing wrong! Wonderful!
Forum Resident
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2005 at 7:42 PM
Great job Superfly I always have trouble with GUIDS and Group ID's thanks.
Scholar
#4 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 2:46 PM
thanks for this. i was ready to tear my hair out trying to find out what i was supposed to do with the group IDs, and how i was supposed to do it
now my career doesn't override anything
just have to wrestle with the bloody chance cards now :D
Test Subject
#5 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 6:25 AM
Thanks so much. I've finally finished my career beta. Darn that hidden 'commit' button. Lucky your tutorial thought of everything!
Test Subject
#6 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 6:55 PM
Thanks for the tute, it's great stuff... I have a prob though, in that my SimPE must be a later version because it doesn't look like the one in your pics when it comes to updating the GroupID:

Any chance you could add a footnote to explain the differences?

Quote: Originally posted by SuperFly
Step 2- Click on the dashed line at the top of the 'Filetypes' menu- do not press anything else!
I don't have that dashed line... Probably the stuff after that will be different as well... :sprint:

Hope you can help! :wave:
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 7:41 PM
Bobbins, I created this tutorial before the new SimPE GUI was released- I have plans to update this after I've uploaded my next career (being posted tonight!)

Test Subject
#8 Old 28th Oct 2005 at 10:58 AM
Woowoo, thanks SuperFly! Looking forward to it, and your new career too! :moo:
#9 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 10:37 PM Last edited by MaeLaBouileare : 11th Nov 2005 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Nothing special
I can't see the pics of the tutorial nor can I download the powerpoint file. (my PC doesn't support that file.)

Can this be read somewhere else or something? Or is there something wrong in the red cross pics since they don't show up on my PC?

*(I noticed I had done double post, It wasn't supposed to be done. My PC is just way too slow, so I - almost accidentally - klicked another time the posting button )
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MaeLaBouileare
I can't see the pics of the tutorial nor can I download the powerpoint file. (my PC doesn't support that file.)

Can this be read somewhere else or something? Or is there something wrong in the red cross pics since they don't show up on my PC?

*(I noticed I had done double post, It wasn't supposed to be done. My PC is just way too slow, so I - almost accidentally - klicked another time the posting button )

Is it visible now?

#11 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 4:26 PM
Yes. Thank you very much!
#12 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 4:41 PM
I think I have a different version of simpe? (picture has only 20 different colors and it has been made a little smaller than it shows up on my screen.)
Screenshots
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 4:45 PM
Yes, you have the latest edition of SimPE- guid change is still the same, but updating the Group ID is different (see my last comment)

Lab Assistant
#14 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 9:57 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/simsos/mybl...id=82469#topBox is where you find out how to make a career, thanx since u asked me.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 4:05 PM Last edited by SuperFly : 17th Nov 2005 at 4:37 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simSOS
http://www.freewebs.com/simsos/mybl...id=82469#topBox is where you find out how to make a career, thanx since u asked me.

That link isn't working for mem (nor is it for anyone else)- and why are you posting it?

Also, what was meant by 'thanx since u asked me?' I haven't asked you for anything.

Scholar
#16 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 8:25 AM
it works now and is not a tutorial as far as i'm concerned. it seems to just tell you how to change the title of a career which then overides the science one.
Test Subject
#17 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 2:52 PM
I'm using SimPE 0.50 Alpha How do I change this ID number there?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 3:48 PM
pcdoctor, I've included the single step needed to update the group ID with the new gui- click the "Fix Integrity" button at the top of the SimPE menu (see my original post for its look)

Instructor
#19 Old 25th Jan 2006 at 1:05 AM
Bit of Group-ID-related weirdness I've noticed that may be of use to others...

When I followed Psion's career tutorial, created my base careers from scratch, updated them for EP readiness and changed the Group ID as per Psion's and your instructions (i.e., using the last six digits of the new career's GUID,) my Angel and Demon careers didn't overwrite anything. However, I did have that strange work-days-off glitch, which J.M. Pescado almost civilly suggested might be due to using old semiglobals from the base game.

BUT when I then downloaded EP1 base careers and remade the same careers using those as bases, I found that if I used the GUID/Group ID method, my new careers still overwrote their base careers. They did not cease this behavior until I used "Fix Integrity" to change the Group ID's to 0xFFFFFFFF.

I've updated SimPE several times since I started fiddling with careers, so I'm not sure whether the version of the program has anything to do with it. But I'm beginning to suspect that which version of the base careers you use does very much matter, beyond just the issue of whether they're EP-ready or not. Possibly this is already common knowledge among experienced modders, but I don't find it mentioned anywhere in the career-modding guides I've seen!

(As an aside, I gotta say, it's no wonder to me anymore that we so often see statements like "If you have game problems, a poorly made custom career is often to blame." For someone who's new to modding and going by the tutorials here, trying to make a working career is an incredibly confusing experience. The actual process isn't all that complicated (especially if you're using Bidou's career editor rather than doing it the hard way,) but working out which tutorial(s) to follow, how a given tutorial corresponds to the version of SimPE you've got, how to acquire a base career, and which SimPE interface to use is a nightmare! :p --Not that any of this is in any way your fault, SuperFly dear, you're an absolute doll. Perhaps it's just the way these things work.)
Test Subject
#20 Old 28th Mar 2006 at 7:32 AM
forgive me if I sound slow but I can't even find the career package and those screencaps don't look anything like my version of SimPE. Which was just downloaded a couple of weeks ago, it's new.
Locked thread