Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 7:10 AM Last edited by wee829 : 12th Feb 2024 at 6:40 AM.
Default Extract meshes from S3pe for the sims2?
Hi, does anyone know how to extract meshes from s3pe? I'm converting object from sims3 store to sims2. Thanks!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 7:33 AM
I've mostly used TSR Workshop for this. It lets you export in OBJ format (useful for furniture and such), and it also has a pattern making tool which helps with recoloring. It can however be a very annoying program (keeps crashing and throwing errors, and you do need TS3 installed for it to work - you need to set up with the basegame at the very least).

.S3pe can be used (and may be preferred for clothing conversions when extracting the meshes), but you need the "Sims3 GEOM exporter" tool by Wesley Howe, for use in Milkshape (there is one for Blender too, I don't have any experience with that). Can be useful if you want to export an object with morphs or animations (but most of those would need to be redone anyway).

I think it's these ones
https://modthesims.info/t/357403 (Milkshape)
https://modthesims.info/d/656413/bl...r-2-8x-3-x.html (Blender)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 8:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I've mostly used TSR Workshop for this. It lets you export in OBJ format (useful for furniture and such), and it also has a pattern making tool which helps with recoloring. It can however be a very annoying program (keeps crashing and throwing errors, and you do need TS3 installed for it to work - you need to set up with the basegame at the very least).

.S3pe can be used (and may be preferred for clothing conversions when extracting the meshes), but you need the "Sims3 GEOM exporter" tool by Wesley Howe, for use in Milkshape (there is one for Blender too, I don't have any experience with that). Can be useful if you want to export an object with morphs or animations (but most of those would need to be redone anyway).

I think it's these ones
https://modthesims.info/t/357403 (Milkshape)
https://modthesims.info/d/656413/bl...r-2-8x-3-x.html (Blender)

Do I still need "Sims3 GEOM exporter" tool if I only want to convert a decoration (no any animations)?
If no, is there any way (except TSR workshop, as I don't have the Sims3) to export meshes of ts3 store object, then convert it to Wavefront object file to import to Milkshape?
Sorry to sound bothering and confusing, I have no previous making cc experience that's why I keep asking
Thanks for the help!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 9:31 AM
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 3:35 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Feb 2024 at 3:46 PM.
Wavefront object file = OBJ file

Yes, you can export directly as OBJ with the TSR Workshop (like I said above). It can export as both the OBJ format and as its native TSR Workshop format (can't remember the exact name, I hardly ever use it, but I think there's a plugin for that one as well).

You need the plugins if you want to export meshes from S3PE, as this one only can export in the GEOM format (regardless of whether you want to export with the skeleton or not). Which version depends on whether you want to use Blender or Milkshape to prepare the mesh (you need the mesh you import back to SimPE to be an OBJ or a GMDC compatible .simpe/.5gd file).
Instructor
#8 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 10:36 PM
Sometimes it pays to be nosy in all forums even when your expertise is only really for TS3- here's a little bit of clarification for you:

GEOM are only for CAS meshes, so if you're converting objects you don't have to worry about this format at all
(But if you ever want to convert CAS items later, you can export .geom right out of S3PE without any extra plugins and convert it to an .obj using MeshToolKit.) GEOM plugins are only really needed for work that's staying within TS3 and needs to retain its geom data.

Objects use MODL and MLOD meshes, (usually one for the high detail object and the other for the LODs, but which is which can actually vary between different objects) and there are a couple of different ways you can pull these to .obj to get them converted.
1. If you open the item in TSR Workshop, you can usually export the meshes directly to Wavefront .obj. This is the easiest way, but certain objects might not play well in TSRW so it's good to have a backup method-
2. There are S3PE to Milkshape plugins that you can use to get MODL/MLOD into Milkshape and export back out as .obj. WesHowe's S3 Object plugins from here, and Peter Jones' MeshHelper for the S3PE end here. The option in S3PE appears as "Export to s3asc".

Hope that helps!

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 6:04 AM
Thank you all for your help. It was very helpful
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 6:08 AM
^ Been a while since I converted meshes with S3PE, so totally forgot about the MODL/MLOD files.

It's easier to extract OBJs with TSRW. Less messing about with plugins (but again, TSRW loves to crash - probably memory issues - and has a few issues where the textures and UVmaps sometimes get distorted. There's a supposedly more stable version available here (unless TSR has fixed the issues in their current version).