Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 9:35 AM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 18th Jan 2014 at 5:38 PM.
Default Scrolling arrow thing changed by Google Chrome update-help please? :) FIXED, see last post
Hello it's me again!

Well I have been having problems with my computer screen etc. lately. In the end I used System Restore to reset the computer to what it was like on Christmas Day, which seems to have fixed some things, so I am assuming the problems were caused by a Windows update. I'm not 100% sure though. So I reset the settings so it will ask me, rather than just automatically installing things. But now I'm wondering how to tell which things will be changed by an update.

Specifically my scrolling arrow thing was changed into a bar which you have to drag down using the mouse pad and the left mouse button at the same time. This really annoyed me, as I like to scroll down using just one hand, not two. This is what I want to keep:

The scrolling arrow thing down the right hand side of the page, is what I'd like to keep.

Does anyone know it's proper name?

Also, do you know how to tell if an update is going to change it? (So I can say no to that one)

Another question I have is what is Java? It keeps asking me to update it, and I have no idea what it actually does.

Thankyou
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 3:51 PM
So you're saying the scroll arrow, next to my big red arrow (see my edit below), is gone?

Java in a nutshell is a programming language. Some applications or plugins rely on it to function and so require you to have it installed if you want to us them. In general you should keep your java updated.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 4:20 PM
Yes, it's turned into the type where you have to click and drag it down. It's just gone back like that now, do you know how to change it back?

Thanks
Scholar
#4 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 4:57 PM
That happened with a recent update to google chrome. The developers probably wanted it to look the same as ChromeOS. There's nothing wrong with your computer. If you don't like it like that you'll have to install an extension to change it back. You could also complain directly to google, if enough people complain they'll change it back, or atleast make it a toggle.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 5:18 PM
Thankyou, I have installed an extension now and it is back to how it was.