Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 11:43 PM
Upgrading or buying a new computer? Short of money...
Hi, everyone.
I'm writing here because, unfortunately, I found out that my computers can't handle my The Sims games anymore - 1, 2 or 3, you name it. Yes, I still play all of them - I asked a friend of mine and it looks like the problem is in the components - obsolete, he says.

Since I don't have my desktop right now - I should get it back around March/April - I'm afraid I need to update my laptop or buy a new one.
The actual specifications are:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
  • RAM: 4GB
  • GPU: NVidia GeForce GT 520M
  • Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
  • Model: ASUS K53SJ

As far as I understood, my GPU is not appropriate - not anymore, at least - and my CPU is only 2.30GHz - when I need at least a 2.4GHz one.
Today, since my computer was overheating after only 10 minutes I opened it and cleaned it up - there was a whole bunch of dust on the heat sink and in the fan - and I realized that, while the CPU can be replaced with a more powerful one, the GPU is welded to the motherboard and I can't replace it 'at home' without the right tools.
My computer is certainly more than 12 months old, so it's getting quite old.

Now, after what I discovered today, I don't know how possible an upgrade of my laptop components' can be - someone suggested me to replace the CPU and overclock the GPU, but I don't have much confidence in this method, after seeing a RAM burn in front of my eyes - so I probably don't have any other choice than buy a new computer.

I should sell the ones I already have - desktop and laptop - and buy a new one with the money I'd get from them... I don't really trust laptops - even though I use them more than desktops.
I don't know what to do.

Any suggestion is welcome, especially if about which laptops with which components I might buy.
I can't afford to spend too much, so I need to ask to also consider that before suggesting anything that might work with my favourite game - and if it works with The Sims it's gonna work for the graphic programs I use for work.
In short, I need a not so expensive computer, that works well under the graphic aspect - gaming included. If it works with the new The Sims 4 it wouldn't be bad, since I have in mind to get it soon.

Anyway, after this long post I have to trust you. I don't know who to consult anymore, I hope you'll understand my situation and give me any good advice.

Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 12:11 AM
12 months isn't old. My desktop has been going since 2006.

Firstly, I take issue with your friend's assessment . You can definitely play TS1 on that laptop, and you should be able to play TS2. If TS1 is giving you problems, then you're in serious trouble, because - assuming that they are hardware issues and not compatibility ones - that would mean that some of your components are on their way out. It's a shame, really, because that laptop is excellent. If it's already failing after 12 months, then that sucks ass - and I wonder if you've been playing TS3 on it? Because that could certainly do that kind of damage.

Upgrading a laptop is usually not a viable option. In order to make any meaningful upgrade to a laptop, you have to upgrade its power supply; usually you can't even buy laptop power supplies, and if you do find one, it'll cost a bomb. On top of that you have to fork out insane amounts for laptop components, because there is just no real market for them. It's generally cheaper to buy a new laptop than to upgrade an existing one, and I get the impression you can't afford to do either . Replacing a laptop CPU is not practical. You could try overclocking the GPU, but if, as it seems from your post, it's already failing, then that would be a very bad idea.

What are the specs of your desktop? Desktops are infinitely more upgradeable than laptops.

If you decide to buy a new computer, it will be cheaper to buy a decent desktop for gaming and a throwaway laptop for a couple of hundred € (or whatever currency you use) for portability, than to buy a laptop for gaming. Unfortunately I can't really make any predictions for TS4: EA say it will have lower requirements than TS3 does, but we just don't know how much lower yet.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
You can definitely play TS1 on that laptop, and you should be able to play TS2.

I play both of them; TS1 is great, no issues with it. As far as I can remember, TS2 works well too.

I wonder if you've been playing TS3 on it? Because that could certainly do that kind of damage.

...err, yeah. I play TS3 on it.

What are the specs of your desktop? Desktops are infinitely more upgradeable than laptops.

I don't know right now, I won't be able to check until March/April. I moved and my computer is at the storehouse.

If you decide to buy a new computer, it will be cheaper to buy a decent desktop for gaming and a throwaway laptop for a couple of hundred € for portability, than to buy a laptop for gaming.

Yeah I thought about that, too. But since I usually move around the country for not so short periods of time I usually bring the laptop with me since it's, you know, portable. I can't manage to keep two computers. Moreover, If I sell this laptop and the desktop - with the monitor, mouse, keyboard and all the other components included - I'd certainly get around 1000-1200€ - even more, since they're new - which would be great to buy a high performance laptop that'd work... just guessing.

I can't really make any predictions for TS4: EA say it will have lower requirements than TS3 does, but we just don't know how much lower yet.

Well, I see this one as a good new! If it'll have lower requirements, then if I find a computer that'd run TS3 it'd certainly run TS4 as well-- wouldn't it?
...oh dear, this is mad. I need to play my favourite game right now...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 3:03 PM
If you can get that much for your existing computers, and you really need the portability, then a gaming laptop might indeed be a good idea. For most people a laptop is really just a convenience, but it sounds like portability is worth more to you.

Can I ask which country you're in? That'd give me the chance to look up some options from a national retailer, to give you an idea of prices and so on. I'm a former Dutchie by adoption, so looking at a couple of Dutch retailers, these are the kinds of things I'd look for in your position:
http://www.komplett.nl/komplett/pro...-2/details.aspx (the dream machine)
http://www.komplett.nl/komplett/pro...nl/details.aspx (the sensible machine)
http://www.komplett.nl/komplett/pro...nl/details.aspx (the sensible machine with more storage)
MSI are a great brand, but there's nothing special about them - the only reason why those are all MSIs is because komplett only seems to stock MSIs in their high-end section, for some reason.

Another thing you may want to think about is, well, waiting. TS4 is due out later this year, which means we'll hopefully get the system requirements in the next few months. If you can cope with sticking to TS1 and TS2 until then, you might want to defer making a decision: if TS4 really does end up with lower requirements, then it'll be TS3 which really pushes up the price laptop-wise, so you'd be in a position then to think about whether you might be willing to get a laptop for TS1, TS2 and TS4, and skip TS3.
To give you some context for that, here are two €749 laptops which would be more than awesome enough for TS1 and TS2, but not for TS3. The only unknown is TS4:
http://www.mediamarkt.nl/mcs/produc...html?langId=-11
http://www.komplett.nl/komplett/pro...nl/details.aspx
(Another MSI because the equivalent laptops by other brands on komplett are more expensive. I'm seriously wondering if there's some incredibly lucrative cartel going on here between komplett and MSI. If so, I'm cool with it, I like both companies )

If you want anything from the links translated, just ask.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 3:34 PM
Can I ask which country you're in? That'd give me the chance to look up some options from a national retailer, to give you an idea of prices and so on.

Sure! I'm Italian

If you can cope with sticking to TS1 and TS2 until then, you might want to defer making a decision: if TS4 really does end up with lower requirements, then it'll be TS3 which really pushes up the price laptop-wise.

I mostly use TS3 to make photos and videos; TS1 and TS2 run well on this one, I wouldn't be looking for another one if it wasn't for TS3 xD
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 6:21 PM
Your laptop are fine for sims 3.
I don't think upgrading to desktop with limit budget is a good idea.

Your 2.3ghz sandy bridge processor is something like pentium 4 @ 6-7ghz so don't worry about it.