Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 10:30 AM
Default WW Character Archetypes + Custom Traits?
So, one of my favorite things about wicked/wonderful whims is the character archetypes system. But I've been running into issues with custom traits, in that they all get placed into the everyman category. I usually try to work around this by making sure every sim has a mix between custom and vanilla traits, but it's still kind of annoying to see missed opportunities for custom traits that easily fit into one of the other archetypes. So, my question is whether or not it's possible to patch/edit my WonderfulWhims mod file to recognize custom traits and categorize them more appropriately?

The traits I have include: Emotional Traits , Hobby Traits, and Spa Day Traits by Kuttoe, the custom traits from Teen Lifestyle Gamepack, teen only traits and child only traits by Triplis, as well as the basemental custom traits and this ADHD trait.

On an unrelated note, is there a way for me to combine the basemental ADHD trait with the one by Mermaidlullaby? The Mermaidlullaby trait feels more accurate to how ADHD actually works, but using that instead of the basemental one removes the possibility of getting an adderall prescription. It's not too big of a deal though, I'm mostly just here to ask about the WW character archetypes thing.

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can give, thanks!!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 4:27 AM
Well, if a) you know how to modify tuning pretty well and all the stuff that you'd need to change is in tuning and not scripts, or b) you know how to program in Python pretty well and all the stuff that you'd need to change is in scripts and not tuning, or c) you know how to do both pretty well, then yeah, you could probably edit the mod for your own personal use, adding the custom traits you want it to recognize to the code that assigns archetypes. You'd need to update it every time you downloaded a new version of the mod (but if you already know how to mod then you probably know that maintaining a personal edit of a mod that's still being updated doesn't necessarily mean you have to recode the changes by hand every time, it might just mean replacing specific pieces of the mod with your version instead, if those pieces weren't changed in the update).

On the other hand, even if you do know how to mod, it's probably a lot easier to just use cheats to give your Sims the archetypes you want them to have. The ww.help cheat will give you a list of other cheats including how to change personality archetypes; Sims can have only have one major and one minor archetype each. (Credit to YFH on the Discord for making sure I had the best info to give you about doing that -- I had the idea myself, but wasn't positive it would work correctly and didn't already know about the internal cheats.)

I'm pretty sure it's not appropriate for anyone to answer questions on this forum about mods that cannot be discussed in detail, or linked to, on this forum (the personality system in WW is fine because it's exactly the same in both), but the first paragraph applies there too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 9:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cidira
Well, if a) you know how to modify tuning pretty well and all the stuff that you'd need to change is in tuning and not scripts, or b) you know how to program in Python pretty well and all the stuff that you'd need to change is in scripts and not tuning, or c) you know how to do both pretty well, then yeah, you could probably edit the mod for your own personal use, adding the custom traits you want it to recognize to the code that assigns archetypes. You'd need to update it every time you downloaded a new version of the mod (but if you already know how to mod then you probably know that maintaining a personal edit of a mod that's still being updated doesn't necessarily mean you have to recode the changes by hand every time, it might just mean replacing specific pieces of the mod with your version instead, if those pieces weren't changed in the update).

On the other hand, even if you do know how to mod, it's probably a lot easier to just use cheats to give your Sims the archetypes you want them to have. The ww.help cheat will give you a list of other cheats including how to change personality archetypes; Sims can have only have one major and one minor archetype each. (Credit to YFH on the Discord for making sure I had the best info to give you about doing that -- I had the idea myself, but wasn't positive it would work correctly and didn't already know about the internal cheats.)

I'm pretty sure it's not appropriate for anyone to answer questions on this forum about mods that cannot be discussed in detail, or linked to, on this forum (the personality system in WW is fine because it's exactly the same in both), but the first paragraph applies there too.

I can't say I'm super experienced with either, but the tuning files seem pretty intuitive so hopefully it'll just be a matter of trial & error, backing up my mod files & seeing what happens. I've been poking around the wonderfulwhims tuning files & don't see anything specifically related to character archetypes linking to specific traits, but maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough. I'm currently doing the same with the basemental files & it looks like it'll be easier to change the tuning files of the adhd trait. When I try to use cheats to change the archetypes, it usually switches back, but I can always just use cheats to adjust the traits to get the ones that I want.
Instructor
#4 Old 11th Jan 2021 at 6:19 PM
Yeah, I did see that the WW code might reevaluate their archetype eventually. If it's happening often enough to make cheating the archetype not work well, and there's a standard EA CAS trait that would keep the archetype on-track and you don't mind the Sim having it, then cheating the trait on is probably the way to go.

I just had a little look-see inside the ts4script for WW and I believe the assignment of archetypes based on traits is being done there, in Python, not in the tuning files.