Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 12:21 AM
Default Inspiration Music
Music has been lauded a salve to the soul and an element to unify groups of people, but it can also be quite beneficial to manufacturing inspiration when writing a story. I can't be the only one here who uses mellow music to get the creative juices flowing, so why not share some of your greatest inspirational hits here? I'll start:

Rise Up- Ben Lee
Delicate- Damien Rice
To Build a Home- Patrick Watson
The Last Man- The Fountain soundtrack
Duet- Rachel Yamagata & Ray Lamontagne
Winter Song- Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson
Blood Bank- Bon Iver
Passing Afternoon- Iron & Wine
Bethena (Scott Joplin cover)- Alexandre Desplat
Clair de Lune- Debussey
Vienna- Billy Joel
Jealous Guy- John Lennon

Share your most inspirational music here! Perhaps it will help get someone back on track from writer's block .

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 1:32 AM
I don't really know if my inspirational songs will help anyone but me, but...I'll share!

-"Over My Head (Cable car)" by Fray (or my favorite, cover by A Day to Remember)
-"You're Gonna Go Far Kid" by The Offspring
-"Dead Lover's Lane" by HIM
-"Some Might Say" by Oasis
-"You Picked Me" by A Fine Frenzy
-"Almost Lover" by " "

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 6:08 AM
As soon as I read the title of this thread, my mind jumped to three of the songs you mentioned, Rabid. To Build a Home, Delicate and Clair de Lune. Then it jumped to A Fine Frenzy, mentioned by Pux.

"Bella," by Angus and Julia Stone
"A Sunday Smile," by Beirut
"Brick," by Ben Folds Five
"Lua" and "Haligh, Haligh, A Lie, Haligh," by Bright Eyes
"Sparks," by Coldplay
"9 Crimes", "Accidental Babies", "Sleep Don't Weep" and "Amie" by Damien Rice. In fact, just Damien Rice in general.
A Fine Frenzy
"Cinder and Smoke," by Iron and Wine
The album "On a Clear Night" by Missy Higgins
Every album by The National
Patrick Watson
"Braille," by Regina Spektor
All of Sufjan Stevens
Forum Resident
#4 Old 23rd May 2009 at 1:11 AM
Depends on my mood, and the story itself. Lot's of the times the songs involve the character's thoughts, or mine.

I guess when it comes down to it lately, I've either had The Fray's new CD repeating on my iPod, or a mix of Taylor Swift songs.
Banned
#5 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 5:30 AM
"You Belong with Me" - Taylor Swift
"Wine Red" - the Hush Sound
"Eh, Eh [Nothing Else I Can Say]" - Lady GaGa

(I know I have extremely differing tastes, from indie rock to country to pop-rock. I listen to whatever pleases me at whatever time I feel.)

Note: all songs below, I only understand minimal Japanese, it's really the music, the rhythm, the notes, that get to me... I have included a small translation. If I can ignore the voice and just listen to the music, I can at least instantly tell the emotions within the song.) I have also noticed, that Japanese music has a lot of background emotion, moreso than the English songs that I listen to, like Taylor Swift, because that is focused primarily on voice rather than music. Although I have to admit that I like the sound of a banjo. This songs have given me a lot of ideas; you should try it too! *silly advertisment voice*

"Seishuun ii Janai Ka" (Ain't Youth Great?!) - Matsuoka Yuki
"Megassa Koukishin" (Megas [Tons of] Curiosity) - Matsuoka Yuki
"Toki no Puzzle" (The Puzzle of Time) - Goto Yuko
"Mitsukete Happy Life" (To Find a Happy Life) - Goto Yuko
"fixed mind" - Shiratori Yuri
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 10:42 PM
I can't list any songs in particular, but I can say that it is my collection of anime theme songs that inspire me. If I had to choose, I'd say my Haruhi Suzumiya songs inspire me most, especially the ones sung by Goto Yuko (Mikuru Asahina)

We'll go after the Italian's first; they can't drive and are usually drunk! ~America (Hetalia: Axis Powers)

My DeviantArt
My blog
Test Subject
#7 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 3:23 AM
Oh, I don't have a list per se, But I do have favorite artists including Breaking Benjamin, Versailles, Lareine, Gackt, Anberlin, Muse, and Death Cab for Cutie. They work well together :-)
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 7:05 PM
Serene Dream by Kidney Thieves - Everytime i listen to this song i wish i could make sim movies.

Also Bear McCreary's soundtrack for BSG, some wonderfull music, especially his cover of 'All Along The Watchtower' and the 'Roslin and Adama' track -which tends to make people cry when they hear it!

Help - there are small people in my computer - and they are talking to me!