Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#13701 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:11 AM
Maybe the simgurus we can already name were the only people working on the game, apart from the effects team who had about 100 people? Lol just what have they done to the Sims game?!?!?

Please, Graham, tell us what is the reason to upgrade from any earlier Sims game (other than maybe TS1) to this one?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13702 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Please, Graham, tell us what is the reason to upgrade from any earlier Sims game (other than maybe TS1) to this one?

Well, Grant's gotta buy dog food for his corgi...

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#13703 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Or even... instead of just on/off, how about some actual options for it? Let the player customize it. Surely EA is aware of how popular Twallan's mods for TS3 were - being able to adjust story progression in-game in a similar way would've been great.

Even better, Just curious do EA/Maxis ever get in contact with any of the Mod Makers ?
Lab Assistant
#13704 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:26 AM
Man, Im done raging on the Sims facebook page. D: Why are people so deluded?
#13705 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BudgieSimBoy
Even better, Just curious do EA/Maxis ever get in contact with any of the Mod Makers ?

Not since TS2 when I was contacted by Cooper Buckingham who wanted to offer assistance to the modding community. However after answering a couple of technical questions for me, he left EA without warning! No idea what happened as I never heard from him again.

Edited to delete bit about TS3 - I am now not sure he wasn't TS2 as well

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#13706 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:38 AM
I see the official forums are going read only for a few days starting Friday while they "upgrade" them for Sims 4. Nothing to do with the outrage on the forums then.

Edited to fix the link. Man, I'm such a noob!
Field Researcher
#13707 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:42 AM
How am I supposed to go from this:

To this??
Alchemist
#13708 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:44 AM
I hate how babies just grow up to become a child just like that, jumping out of the crib, suddenly knowing how to walk, talk and use the toilet - ready to go to school..
#13709 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
I hate how babies just grow up to become a child just like that, jumping out of the crib,

Especially as the mother has to vacate the slot and move away as if it's all nothing that should concern her in order to make room for him. Oh for goodness sake couldn't they have made the effort to make one more sim container slot next to the mother, or even have the kid leap into her arms or something? In fact I think a fun way to tackle it is the mother holds the baby, the baby changes into a kid while mother is holding it, mother gasps at the sudden weight and quickly puts kid down on adjacent empty tile while they smile at each other. End of interaction. But at least it has soul.

Scholar
#13710 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:56 AM
Vrooom Vroooom! goes this thread Wait for meee!
Lab Assistant
#13711 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:06 AM
Especially as the mother has to vacate the slot and move away as if it's all nothing that should concern her in order to make room for him. Oh for goodness sake couldn't they have made the effort to make one more sim container slot next to the mother, or even have the kid leap into her arms or something? In fact I think a fun way to tackle it is the mother holds the baby, the baby changes into a kid while mother is holding it, mother gasps at the sudden weight and quickly puts kid down on adjacent empty tile while they smile at each other. End of interaction. But at least it has soul.

Holy shit, I would even buy that. That interaction alone might maybe..somehow...make me forget about toddlers. I miss seeing emotions BETWEEN sims. They are all about these emotion for sims but its they are isolated in their emotions. If a sim is pissed off its not like the other sims reacts to him being pissed off, they just go about their day, even in their interactions they dont give a fuck. Its the pissed sim that has pissed off interactions.
Test Subject
#13712 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:25 AM
SimGuruLindsay just tweeted this - https://twitter.com/SimGuruLyndsay/...903860984623104

Don't know if she's joking, but one thing is sure, she didn't read this forum!
Lab Assistant
#13713 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:26 AM

I know you've already heard and read the official "pitch" from numerous places, so instead I'll offer this... Four main entries into the franchise and it becomes more of a challenge to explain the nuances of what's different from one to the next. For example, we say something along the line of, "hey, these new emotions Sims have are pretty rad", and people counter with, "but my Sims have always had emotions". Well... ok, maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven't had anything like this before. But the conversation then changes into discussing what is or isn't there and the minutiae of differences in each feature along some scale because the easiest way to try and understand something new is to compare and contrast it to what came before. Looking at a list of features on paper may tell you what you can expect to find in the game, but it doesn't tell you if it's fun to play. That said, if there's something that's not in the game at launch and that's a deal breaker for you then I understand and respect your decision, and I hope you'll give the game another look down the line.

What encourages me is speaking with players after they've had some hands on time with the game to wrap their head around those differences and better understand what it brings to the overall experience. I wasn't involved in any official way in the Creator's Camp, but I poked my head in a few times to get a general sense of how things were going, and I came away with the impression that a lot of the talking points we've used to discuss what this game is were being validated and appreciated after people had time to play. I personally find myself enjoying the deep socialization between Sims and the enhanced sense of an intimate community of neighbors and friends. Those were aspects of The Sims 3 that never particularly resonated with me, so in a number of ways The Sims 4 evolved my Sims experience to offer something more than just a five year leap in technology.

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
Field Researcher
#13714 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:28 AM
Very proud? lol.. Now I wanna link this thread to her.

EDIT: Done.

Please, sorry for my bad English..
Lab Assistant
#13715 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:35 AM Last edited by Fyrefly555 : 6th Aug 2014 at 10:52 AM.
... I wonder if this is the reason why Sims 4 is technically downgrade from Sims 3 : http://shield.nvidia.com/gaming-tablet/

Oh, and feel free to disagree all you want, this is just me trying to understand. :p

Oh, and, Sir SimGuruGraham, I do not really complain about the "new" emotions and all thing, I mean why not, I'm complaining about the fact so many features have been teared off the game. You want a more "cocooning" "homy" feeling in the game, right, whatever, but the fact that there's apparently no family or generations gameplay is the principal reason why I personally feel disappointed. What is the interest of a very closed playground to feel "at home" if I can't feel the family bonding. I don't care about a sim having a spaceship in his garden...

Plus, the big no-no for me is the art-style you choosed... Sims are not bad, they even look cute and with a little modding, I'm sure we could have had brilliant chars to play with, but all the flat land around, sorry, it's just disappointing to me (just me talking there, don't want to talk for others). And having to go through load screens between lots in the same tiny neighborhood will also cut it off for me concerning the "homy" feeling. I mean, at least, if my Sim can't have a proper family life, he could have had a nice "Bro" feeling life with his neighbors, like, I don't know, my Sim has no more eggs in his fridge, he just crosses the street, knock on the neighbor door and ask him if he could give him one...

Time to go to work now for me, sorry, I'll probably edit my post later on to look for grammar nightmare I sure left on it being in a rush! ^^
Scholar
#13716 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:40 AM
I sleep for ten hours and I miss like, ten pages. Never. Sleep. Again.
Test Subject
#13717 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
I know you've already heard and read the official "pitch" from numerous places, so instead I'll offer this... Four main entries into the franchise and it becomes more of a challenge to explain the nuances of what's different from one to the next. For example, we say something along the line of, "hey, these new emotions Sims have are pretty rad", and people counter with, "but my Sims have always had emotions". Well... ok, maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven't had anything like this before. But the conversation then changes into discussing what is or isn't there and the minutiae of differences in each feature along some scale because the easiest way to try and understand something new is to compare and contrast it to what came before. Looking at a list of features on paper may tell you what you can expect to find in the game, but it doesn't tell you if it's fun to play. That said, if there's something that's not in the game at launch and that's a deal breaker for you then I understand and respect your decision, and I hope you'll give the game another look down the line.

What encourages me is speaking with players after they've had some hands on time with the game to wrap their head around those differences and better understand what it brings to the overall experience. I wasn't involved in any official way in the Creator's Camp, but I poked my head in a few times to get a general sense of how things were going, and I came away with the impression that a lot of the talking points we've used to discuss what this game is were being validated and appreciated after people had time to play. I personally find myself enjoying the deep socialization between Sims and the enhanced sense of an intimate community of neighbors and friends. Those were aspects of The Sims 3 that never particularly resonated with me, so in a number of ways The Sims 4 evolved my Sims experience to offer something more than just a five year leap in technology.

I think I understand that, Graham, we just don't want to be disappointed. Even if some things aren't in, we want to know we'll have a polished game on the release date. I was a true advocate for sims 4, but things i've seen these days made me really worried... You know our concerns if you read this thread.
Field Researcher
#13718 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:41 AM
but it doesn't tell you if it's fun to play.

Well.

. Infants are objects connected to a cradle;
. the maps are tiny, there is no room for the legacy players.
and I could go on and on ..

no, this is not funny.
And there is no need to play it to find out.

I'm sorry.

Please, sorry for my bad English..
Field Researcher
#13719 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by imkyo
SimGuruLindsay just tweeted this - https://twitter.com/SimGuruLyndsay/...903860984623104

Don't know if she's joking, but one thing is sure, she didn't read this forum!

Yes, I also find the plastic-demon-spawn to be strangely endearing. NOT! *slams head againts wall in vexation*

...truly your Sims haven't had anything like this before.

Ain't that the truth.

The Possibilities are Endless

-----------------------
Field Researcher
#13720 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:43 AM Last edited by BudgieSimBoy : 6th Aug 2014 at 11:01 AM.

What encourages me is speaking with players after they've had some hands on time with the game to wrap their head around those differences and better understand what it brings to the overall experience. I wasn't involved in any official way in the Creator's Camp, but I poked my head in a few times to get a general sense of how things were going, and I came away with the impression that a lot of the talking points we've used to discuss what this game is were being validated and appreciated after people had time to play. I personally find myself enjoying the deep socialization between Sims and the enhanced sense of an intimate community of neighbors and friends. Those were aspects of The Sims 3 that never particularly resonated with me, so in a number of ways The Sims 4 evolved my Sims experience to offer something more than just a five year leap in technology[U].

Unfortunately Graham I do not see a five year leap in technology anywhere with this version of the Game. If gameplay is deep as you say I will wait for play through on YouTube to Judge if it is worth taking the plunge, at this time I see an ever increasing list of base game features and game play being removed.
I appreciate you posting here still and respect your views on the game you helped create.
Field Researcher
#13721 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:53 AM
A mini tour of the two worlds with two videos:
http://simsvip.com/2014/08/06/the-s...a-neighborhood/
Yes, the water has reflection.

But the conversation then changes into discussing what is or isn't there and the minutiae of differences in each feature along some scale because the easiest way to try and understand something new is to compare and contrast it to what came before. Looking at a list of features on paper may tell you what you can expect to find in the game, but it doesn't tell you if it's fun to play. That said, if there's something that's not in the game at launch and that's a deal breaker for you then I understand and respect your decision, and I hope you'll give the game another look down the line.

Since Sims 4 is the 4th part of a very complex franchise, of course, the players gonna expect a certain standard. At least base game features that were in the base games before. I'm not even expecting expansion features from previous games (although it would be nice), but at least basic features. And I count pools and toddlers in this. Not only do I expect those, I think, a successor should use those features as a starting point and expand on that. You definitely did this in some areas (CAS, Build Mode, both look very good), but so many aspects are lacking. At least that is my opinion. I haven't had a chance to play it, but features are a big selling point. Since there is no trial version, I have to base my buy decision a lot on what I know will be in the game and what I see from videos. The way you implemented babies is very disappointing for me. I hoped for so many more lovely interactions. I have the fear that you are truly neglecting players who want to play a lot with families, meaning all of the life stages.

I can only hope, that you take our feedback seriously, that you listen and that you are willing to change and expand features that are in TS4.
Sockpuppet
#13722 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:55 AM
Well... ok, maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven't had anything like this before.

B-BUT THEY ARE PIXEL DOLLS! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? ARE YOU NUTS? ITS A FRICKIN DOLL, IT WILL HAVE FEELINGS AS LONG I WANT IT TO!

I feel more zen now. Thanks
#13723 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 11:06 AM
I am happy to accept that the emotion system is more real and integral to the Sims themselves now, but I am not sure that in itself makes up for the *appearance* of retrograde technological advance that pervades all other aspects of the player's experience. I mean for all I know that result took huge leaps in the skills of the sims development teams, but the overall effect is to make it seem like an older game, not a newer one.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13724 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 11:07 AM
But the conversation then changes into discussing what is or isn't there and the minutiae of differences in each feature along some scale because the easiest way to try and understand something new is to compare and contrast it to what came before. Looking at a list of features on paper may tell you what you can expect to find in the game, but it doesn't tell you if it's fun to play. That said, if there's something that's not in the game at launch and that's a deal breaker for you then I understand and respect your decision, and I hope you'll give the game another look down the line.

But it's not minutiae of differences is it Graham? It's bloody great big ones. I'm afraid you've lost a lot of players and some, like me in all probability, won't come back.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#13725 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 11:10 AM

Why no ghosts?
they've been there since TS1.
But pools have also. So what should I expect from your awful team?
Locked thread
Page 549 of 920