Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 7th Jun 2019 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
If I was still using my Windows XP computer the amount of CC I have right now would take over five minutes.

You think 5 minutes is slow?!? I had 20 gigs on my older XP computer and the game took close on an hour to load. Now I have a new pc with an SSD and it takes about 10 minutes -that to me is fairly good! The only times I got 5 minutes is if I have hardly any CC, like 5 gigs or something.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 12:03 AM
I have two folders of downloads - one for normal neighbourhoods and the other for my medieval neighbourhood. Both are just over 2GB each so not much at all compared with others. I organise cc into general folders such as hair, furniture, walls, plants, decorative, etc. I also shorten very long file names and get rid of any spaces and special characters. I don't have as much time to play (or browse for cc) these days, so the downloads folder has been pretty stagnant lately.
Theorist
#28 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You think 5 minutes is slow?!? I had 20 gigs on my older XP computer and the game took close on an hour to load. Now I have a new pc with an SSD and it takes about 10 minutes -that to me is fairly good! The only times I got 5 minutes is if I have hardly any CC, like 5 gigs or something.

I remember back in the day there was a person who would start their Sims 1 game the night before they wanted to play it because they had so much CC it took that long to load.

In the grand scheme of things five minutes isn't a long wait, and that's about the same time for the same amount as I had back then too. I am really enjoying the few seconds load times I have right now, especially since I'm embarking on another mod mess journey. There are too many things not behaving like they should, even in a spankin' clean new neighborhood so I think it's about time I do what I should have done when I installed AL which is to pull out all but absolute essential mods and start fresh, one irritation at a time.
Alchemist
#29 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 3:05 AM
Let's see, I've 19.8 GB (20.0 on disk, apparently), 83,813 files, and 6,410 folders. My game only takes about 15-20 minutes to load though.

My folder is actually a bit of a mess right now and under transition, so no real point in taking pictures of that mess! I mainly used to organize by type/category, as in Clothes, Food, Hair, Deco, Hacks, Furniture Sets, etc. If a mod creator had a bunch of downloads or had several that need to be loaded before or after something else, then those got put into a folder with the creator's name. But some of those were heavily subfoldered and it could be hard to find things. Clothes for example was split into Male and Female, then into all the different age groups. The Testing folder has subcategories in it again, etc. And then I had duplicate meshes. Way back in the day, I didn't download a mesh again if I already had it, but I ran into problems with this, as I removed some things that used the same mesh as something else and then I ended up with files with missing meshes. My solution to that, years ago, was to just put the mesh in again, no matter what.

But now, in an effort to reduce subfoldering and help increase searchability (seriously, I'm always having a hard time tracking down stuff, especially clothes and hairs!), I'm switching over to a system that wouldn't go more than 2-3 deep. It'll look a lot like some have posted but I'll keep general categories in front instead of using letters. And for my hairs and clothes, the mesh file will be the main folder and all its recolors will go in there. I've already started this, and it's been a PITA trying to get organized--testing in game, sorting files, renaming, testing again.

Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
It's taken me ages to do, but I like it so I'll continue until I'm finished.

I definitely second that! It takes a lot of time trying to get your downloads to look just so; I often think about nuking my folder and starting over from scratch cuz this laziness is the real reason my downloads folder is so huge--I don't like to test things very often and I hardily ever get around to sorting. My testing folder alone is 8 GB and that's just cuz I put everything I'm thinking about trying in my game at once. If I see it in game and use it, great! I'll get around to filing it properly one day. If I don't see or use it, it's supposed to get chucked, but that doesn't always happen. I even put themed cc I'm definitely not going to use in my regular hood in my downloads, just so that I can preview it whenever I get to CAS, rather than have testing sessions. Opening and closing the game just to preview content is just not something I like to do! Still, I don't have the heart to get rid of all the cc I've curated over the last couple of years. So I just keep on renaming, slowly, a little at a time. Maybe one day I'll finally get to recatagorizing, bundling, and compressing.

In the meantime, I do think my finished folders look great. I'm really liking how my hair folder is shaping up. I've had to make a few hard decisions--like what to rename and what to keep together. But I'm really proud of how it's looking, so I'll show pictures of that. So for context, I'm a simmer who has had different folders for the same hair because I downloaded different textures at different times. So now I'm consolidating all that and going from folders for different sites and creators into just two master hair folders, one for males and one for females. Every folder has the hair creator's name (as opposed to whoever did the retexture), the mesh # and name of the hair, the age range, and the poly count. Inside the folder, each recolor has the name of the person who did the retexture and the hair name. Preview pictures are in each folder and they detail what color action was used, who did the recolor, and if the uploader had a name for their download--funny that you mentioned emo songs, iCad!

Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Computers don't want to read your emo song lyrics. They don't give a shit about your feels.

I had to laugh at this, as I just got some pangs earlier this week when I renamed some files to get rid of their upload set name! There definitely was a period of time when it seemed like every uploaded needed an emo title to go with it. Granted those names were better than Peggy 01234567, or whatever, but they do nothing for troubleshooting, searching, or preventing duplicates. To that end, I also put an underscore or space after every word in a file and I made all common terms uniform. Between that and the preview pictures, I'll be able to look at my hair folder at a glance and tell what's in it and I'll be able to search the folder, too. I noticed that it was hard for Windows to find items that had names with terms all run together (likethesewordsare), so I grabbed Bulk Rename Utility to help rename things. I had been doing things the long way by hand in Wardrobe Wrangler, but I found some extra tools to help with folder organization, so hopefully that'll go faster now. Once everything is named correctly, tooltipped, and has unwanted ages deleted, then I'll bundle and compress my files.

I'm still unsure how I'll go about organizing deco and objects, though. I like to keep sets together, especially if they're slaved, but I like the idea of having all my clutter in one place. But then there's the fact that I love to have preview pictures. Even though many have said pictures bloat the folder and make the game load slower, I really appreciate being able to visualize what I'm looking at and, if it's a mod, having the instructions or descriptions right there next to the files. So I'm still deciding how best to sort some of my folders. Even sorting my clothes has turned into a bit of a tricky situation because while I'd like to use category labels (Everyday, Athletic, Formal, etc.), some have multiple categories and it's not always an easy decision what goes where. For the first time I found myself asking silly questions like 'Is this dress really formal? Or is it everyday, but also formal?' It's so funny what we'll do for our sims; I don't even give my own stuff this much detail and organization!

But even though I maybe be super slow about going about things--because, let's face it, it's way more fun to just play than get organized--I am building up my aresnal of programs and tutorials to help get the job done. I'll link the things I've found so that others can get started too, if they want:

Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
I'm currently thinking about combining iCad and Calibrat's ways of doing their Downloads folders for my new one, but I want to make sure I have all the information about how things affect loading times and so on before I settle on a way of doing things. The idea of having to rename all of the files fills me with dread and dismay, but I guess it would be worth it in the long run?!

I decided to get organized after reading this thread at Garden of Shadows: http://digitalperversion.net/garden...p?topic=29930.0. It has some really good info & tips; you may find it helpful to check it out.

Other links for things/issues you might run into when cleaning up your downloads and making sure all your files work & look the way you want:
CatOfEvilGenius' Hair Binner and Tooltip Adder
Frumph's Tutorial for Re-categorizing Clothing Using SimPE

Phaenoh's Recatagorizing Maxis Content - Objects Tutorial
Phaenoh's Recatagorizing Maxis Content - Clothing Tutorial
Maxon's Making Object Collections and Hiding Them From the Catalogue Tutorial
Sunrader's Tired of burying your batbox? Change the models of favorite mods easily in SimPE Tutorial
My How to Change the Mesh/Model of a Mod into a Different Custom Object Tutorial
HystericalParoxysm's Fixing Flashing Blue Accessories Tutorial
Digital Angels' Layering Accessories Tutorial
SnowStorm's Custom Icons for Accessories Tutorial
Boblishman's Making objects available in Community Lots Tutorial
Numenor's Mini-Tutorial: Batch-fix Custom Objects to make them *placeable on OFB shelves* Tutorial
sensenfrau's Fixing M&G Quarter Tile PlacementMini Tutorial
rebecah's How to Increase Energy and Comfort for a Bed Tutorial
Bulbizarre's How to edit the pie menus for custom foodsMini Tutorial
Lientebollemeis's How to edit custom food Tutorial
Rosebine's How to make items duplicate on placement Mini Tutorial
HugeLunatic's Fixing Rugs for Rug Mod Tutorial

Hmm, I'm starting to see why organizing my folder is taking so long--I can't seem to just focus on fixing one thing; I have to try to fix all the things.
Screenshots

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Theorist
#30 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 5:51 AM
For Windows to find the file names with the words all run together you need a wild card, as in just put an asterisk before and/or after the word you're looking for, like *weather will find anything with the word weather in its name. Sometimes it's the only way I can find things, especially tracking down similarly named mods or what-not across a few different folders.

Quote:
But then there's the fact that I love to have preview pictures. Even though many have said pictures bloat the folder and make the game load slower,

I used to have pictures of everything in my Downloads folder and I never noticed they made a difference in load time. Now I usually only keep in pictures of game textures, fences, and BodyShop stuff; in other words the things I can't see in SimCat.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 6:12 AM Last edited by Peace : 8th Jun 2019 at 6:24 AM.
OMG my poor downloads folder!
Screenshots

Have you ever walked into a room & forgot why you went in there?
What if God is playing The Sims & he just cancelled your action.
Adopt-a-Sim My Creations My Tumblr
Theorist
#32 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 5:59 PM
At least one thing y'all did was give me the courage to go through all my Mods and get them sorted into Fixes-Critical, Fixes-Necessary, and stuff like that. Mine have mostly been thrown in to various creator files but considering how many things in my game aren't working that even the conflict detection utility isn't discovering it's time for something else.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 6:34 PM
I first order by category, let's say: Defaults / CAS / Buy / etc. Then, in the "defaults" folder for example I have more folders such as "Hairs", "Clothes", etc. For the CAS and Buy folders I sort by creator - I know that's not something many prefer, but it works really well for me. I have around 15 GB of CC/17.000+ files currently installed. I merge all my recolors, so the 17.000+ packages are mostly the meshes and a couple of the merges.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#34 Old 15th Jun 2019 at 12:26 PM
Well, it would be better to show you than to try to explain it, although I will add that the reason I ended up with this organizational structure is because the fewer layers and folders used the faster the game loads so way back in the day I made it as efficient as I possibly could and it turned out to be a great system.

The first image is the main DL folder (it isn't always that clean, sometimes I have a few things there that need sorting, especially if they came with a lot). The second image is inside one of those folders, and is the third level, and I always try not to go any deeper than that.

Right now it's a little under 4 gigs in size and selectively growing. If I've added something and haven't used it after a while I'll remove it and set it aside on a back-up drive. I rarely delete anything because I did that once thinking I could just go back and download it again (this was years and years ago) and lost a ton of stuff I wish I hadn't.

ETA: Sometimes I have themed downloads but I've found it's easier to keep separate instances of the Documents portion of the game for the different saves than to switch Downloads folders.

I really like your system. What are do you your other subfolders look like? I.e Build/Buy Mode
Scholar
#35 Old 15th Jun 2019 at 12:41 PM
Original a mess, now partially organized by creator. SImple as that.
Theorist
#36 Old 15th Jun 2019 at 6:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by clairsy97
I really like your system. What are do you your other subfolders look like? I.e Build/Buy Mode

Thank you! I've tried to keep it organized without going overboard. There are of course the two main subfolders for Buy, one for new mesh objects and one for game textures. The pictures show the new mesh one and the game textures subfolder set-up is almost identical although it also contains a lot of pictures for my reference (I find when it comes to game texture recolors the pictures are a lot easier than dealing with Collections).

The Build sections are simpler than the Buy since there aren't anywhere near the amount of categories, so Build-General has sub-folders for Columns, Doors, Gates-Fences-Walls, Sets-MiscBuild, Sets-Windows-Doors, Windows and sometimes in the main folder are a few odds and ends I haven't figured out where should go yet.

I have the wall and floor coverings foldered by type.

Basically my thought is when I open a particular section of the in-game catalog I don't really want it to have to pull data from a lot of different sub-folders.

Does anyone know if after file are renamed and new thumbnails generated, do they replace the old thumbnail or add a new one to the cache? I usually delete that file and start fresh after I've gone on a purge spree but I'm wondering if it should also be done after a renaming spree.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#37 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 7:43 AM
Thank you! I've tried to keep it organized without going overboard. There are of course the two main subfolders for Buy, one for new mesh objects and one for game textures. The pictures show the new mesh one and the game textures subfolder set-up is almost identical although it also contains a lot of pictures for my reference (I find when it comes to game texture recolors the pictures are a lot easier than dealing with Collections).

The Build sections are simpler than the Buy since there aren't anywhere near the amount of categories, so Build-General has sub-folders for Columns, Doors, Gates-Fences-Walls, Sets-MiscBuild, Sets-Windows-Doors, Windows and sometimes in the main folder are a few odds and ends I haven't figured out where should go yet.

I have the wall and floor coverings foldered by type.

Basically my thought is when I open a particular section of the in-game catalog I don't really want it to have to pull data from a lot of different sub-folders.

Does anyone know if after file are renamed and new thumbnails generated, do they replace the old thumbnail or add a new one to the cache? I usually delete that file and start fresh after I've gone on a purge spree but I'm wondering if it should also be done after a renaming spree.

Oh cool. Do you have anymore screenshots of your folders? Its just I really like way you organise it and want to do it similarly :3
Alchemist
#38 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 3:03 PM
Mine is unorganized by design. Too many subfolders can add to loading time, and I value faster loads over organization. I have a quarantine folder for new objects, one for bundles, one for things that can't be removed, one for mods, and everything else is loose in one giant subfolder.
Theorist
#39 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 4:25 PM
Oh cool. Do you have anymore screenshots of your folders? Its just I really like way you organise it and want to do it similarly :3

I have to leave in a few minutes but will grab some as soon as I can.

Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Mine is unorganized by design. Too many subfolders can add to loading time, and I value faster loads over organization. I have a quarantine folder for new objects, one for bundles, one for things that can't be removed, one for mods, and everything else is loose in one giant subfolder.

I found that with the set-up I use the number of folders didn't make much difference in load time (and I'm thinking back to my old WinXP computer, not this one which loads much, much faster than it took the old one) and I think it's partially because I don't take them very deep.
Alchemist
#40 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 7:18 PM
I found that with the set-up I use the number of folders didn't make much difference in load time (and I'm thinking back to my old WinXP computer, not this one which loads much, much faster than it took the old one) and I think it's partially because I don't take them very deep.

This is likely it. I cut down loading times once I did away with sub-folders, but mine did go pretty deep.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 7:32 PM
^ Another problem with too deep subfolders is that the file paths eventually go over the character limit for file paths, and the game struggles or is unable to read the files. I had that problem with my first laptop - couldn't figure out why some files would suddenly change names and get a ~ at the end on the filename. Turns out the files were fine, but went over the filepath character limit.

I'm down to roughly 3x deep at the most on my attempt to cut down subfolders and reorgnizing. Another good thing is that it's easier to find stuff when it's organized, either if you're WCIF'ing for someone, or trying to remove something that's causing issues or you don't want any longer. I still have pictures in the folders on my harddrive, but planning to remove these when I put the reorganized folder into my game (still keeping the backup with the pictures, of course). It's even easier to search for stuff, because I can search the "clothes" or "buy" folder, or if there are issues then I can test everything in one folder without having to bother with all the rest.
Theorist
#42 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 10:43 PM Last edited by Misty_2004 : 16th Jun 2019 at 11:00 PM.

Okay, here are a few more screenshots. One is of the textures for in-game objects. Basically once you follow the set-up for the new mesh objects just copy that and rename it for in-game textures because it's organized almost identically.

BuildMode_General, as you can see, has sub-folders for the general build mode stuff.

The other one is what the BuildMode_FRW folder is like inside.

There are sometimes loose files in the overall folder that either need to find a permanent home or I just don't have enough stuff of that type to justify a folder, like Macarossi's elevator.

I'm not really sure where my screenshots are because when I edit they're showing as attached.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#43 Old 17th Jun 2019 at 4:22 AM
Okay, here are a few more screenshots. One is of the textures for in-game objects. Basically once you follow the set-up for the new mesh objects just copy that and rename it for in-game textures because it's organized almost identically.

BuildMode_General, as you can see, has sub-folders for the general build mode stuff.

The other one is what the BuildMode_FRW folder is like inside.

There are sometimes loose files in the overall folder that either need to find a permanent home or I just don't have enough stuff of that type to justify a folder, like Macarossi's elevator.

I'm not really sure where my screenshots are because when I edit they're showing as attached.

Did you use Imgur?
Theorist
#44 Old 17th Jun 2019 at 5:01 AM
I thought they'd probably show up if I left them alone for a while, guess not. I don't want to be bothered with Imgur so I'll just link to the images hiding here.

BuyMode-GameTextures. Like I said, for this one just make a copy of the empty BuyMode-NewMesh folder and sub-folders to save yourself a bunch of work. I usually also put pictures along with the files for the textures for easy reference, especially of things in sets.

BuildMode-General. It just has the basic categories from Build Mode (Garden and FRW have different folders). Sometimes I'll have something sitting in the main folder if it doesn't fit anywhere else like Macarossi's elevator.

inside the FRW folder. I have a couple of folders in there right now for some files I'm sorting. I'm slow at sorting so I usually have a few folders with stuff sitting in them that needs to go elsewhere.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 6:34 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 3rd Aug 2019 at 7:24 PM.
Was just about to post details of my DL folder organization in another thread, and I realized in that case I might as well just link from there to this one. And then I realized I'd never said anything about how I do mine.

Looking through the posts so far, mine's probably most like RoxEllen's: virtual subfolders, by using hyphens in folder names.

Except inside my AA-Testing-Newest (first place where new mods/cc go) and my AA-Testing-ProbablyOK (last stop for new mods/cc before they get put into the main structure; honestly, likely unnecessary, but I'd rather safe than sorry) folders, there is no second-level subfoldering. So that I can more easily confirm later which mod I downloaded, I try not to edit original mod names. However, I do remove special characters, plus remove creator names if they're making the filename too long---in that case, I'd usually put an abbreviated version of the name on the folder instead.

I don't primarily subfolder by creator; creator names usually go near the end of folder names. But that's because most of the stuff in my Downloads is hacks, and so it's most important to me to recognize conflicts when adding new ones. Subfoldering more by function (for hacks) or catalog category (for meshes and recolors) makes it easy for me to quickly find and glance through the appropriate subfolder when adding a new hack; do I already have anything I can anticipate to clash with it? Though if I download, for example, a set of recolors of various buy items, that's where a "zzSets" entry comes in. That zz there is just so all my sets stay together in case at some point I can't remember which ones I have; I only have such sets in Buy or Build main categories.

I'm at under 2.1 gigs; if I ever hit 3 gigs, I think I'll be amazed!

Not a big screenshot-taker, but here are sample names:

AA-Testing-Newest
AA-Testing-ProbablyOK
BODYSHOP-CLOTHING-DefRepl-AM-bottoms-jodhpurboots
BODYSHOP-HAIR-DefRepl-UF-bun (so all hair defaults stay together, sorted by age/gender and easy to see accidental duplicates)
BODYSHOP-HAIR-Meshed-UF-Lidiqnata-Victoria
BUILD-Walls-wawaDonagh
BUY-zzSETS-Recols-Liz-PinkSugarBath
BUY-zzSETS-Recols-Liz-SusanBedroom
HACKS-BabiesandPregnancy
HACKS-DependencyGroups-creaturefixes (DependencyGroups are sets where the mods must load in a certain order related to each other...ETA: so it made the most sense to just keep them all together, where they can't get out of order. I know "dependency" isn't the most accurate term for that, but it just stuck after the first time!)
HACKS-DependencyGroups-wfsanity
HACKS-EssentialHackedObjects (like the batbox and Sim Blender)
HACKS-preUnischool-Grades
HACKS-SeasonLength
HACKS-Uni-Behavior
HACKS-Uni-Grades
HACKS-WeatherandSky

I like the system because I can get as specific as I want, so that I can easily find exactly the folder I want and it's always clear where something belongs, whether I'm adding something new today or in a few years. For example, if I didn't think I had that many uni-affecting mods, maybe I'd just only have a single HACKS-Uni one and not bother with making further distinctions. However, hacks that affect season length, for example, get their own folder no matter how many there are---because it's likely that if I'm using more than one, they're going to conflict, so I want to know that immediately when I add another.

Whether I make more folders (by adding subcategories to the folder name) for a particular type of hack is determined by whether the contents of each folder is a manageable size. To me the key is to keep it no big deal to quickly eye what hacks I already have in a folder when I add something new...showing me any obvious conflict or duplicates at a glance, before I even run HCDU.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#46 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 6:46 PM
my downloads file. The horror, the horror

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#47 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 6:47 PM
Nearly 6 Gig, over 18,000 files (a lot of them hairs and clothes), tidily organized into folders (Clothes and Hair also have subfolders, and sometimes sub-subfolders). Too many Neat points, me.
Instructor
#48 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 6:53 PM
4.45 GB, over 13,000 items.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
Nearly 6 Gig, over 18,000 files (a lot of them hairs and clothes), tidily organized into folders (Clothes and Hair also have subfolders, and sometimes sub-subfolders). Too many Neat points, me.

---
doesn't sub-subfolders make some things unreadable?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Scholar
#50 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 9:00 PM
4GB and 9641 files but I'm on a Mac so I have to really limit my download folder even after I've increased the number of open files I can run. It keeps me from having a serious overload of items cause I have a real addiction for recolors.

I've got it more or less pretty organized but way back when it was a big old mess. Now my game mods are subfoldered by creator or website or both. My defaults are separate and subfoldered to gender/age/type or to a stuff file for buy-able items. My hair is subfoldered by creator/site/gender and so are my clothes. Then there is the rather scary "stuff" file. This is mostly separated by site but I do have wayward files that I have no idea what they are filed under unknown. When I add something new it goes first into a "new" file and once it's been tried out in game it gets filed appropriately. That way if something crashes or doesn't work I know exactly where to find it.
Page 2 of 3