Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Apocalyptic Effects, Trashamatic Recolours & Decorative Junk

by Sophie-David Posted 31st Aug 2011 at 6:17 PM - Updated 5th Apr 2016 at 11:37 PM by Sophie-David : Posted the View Many bugfix.

66 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 24 Feedback Posts, 41 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#26 Old 29th Sep 2011 at 4:18 PM
Omg GREAT )!
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#27 Old 29th Sep 2011 at 4:30 PM
Thanks!
Theorist
Original Poster
#28 Old 3rd Oct 2011 at 3:23 AM
October 1, 2011 Updates
October 1, 2011 Updates

1) In the original upload the Small Adult Fire was erroneously given the filename AdultFireMedium.package. This update corrects the Small Adult Fire's filename to AdultFireSmall.package while maintaining its original GUID. The replacement AdultFireMedium.package now invokes the Medium Size Adult Fire effect. Please download sdEffectsBG.zip for these updates.

2) Collection files are now available to organize the effects into Fire, Smoke, Stink, and Miscellaneous. I have also included a collection for the Decorative Junk. Please be sure to select the appropriate version: either PrePets (including Basegame only) or PetsAndLater.
Theorist
Original Poster
#29 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 7:15 PM Last edited by Sophie-David : 5th Oct 2011 at 8:22 PM.
October 5, 2011 Update

October 5, 2011 Update

Since not all players use collection files - myself included - I have now differentiated the effects according to price: Fire §9, Smoke §10, Stink §11, and Miscellaneous §12. Please re-download sdEffectsBG.zip for this update.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#30 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 6:17 AM
David to the rescue!! Thanks a million. You are the best. My hero. (am I laying it on a bit thick?) But in all honesty, I really needed this and it is FREE! I am breaking rules - sorry.
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#31 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 1:30 PM
Hi Nonni - Thanks, and I hope these work out for you. Although I don't know what rules you have broken?
Field Researcher
#32 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 6:25 PM
Hi David! I just wanted to say that I have FINALLY gone back in time and have had about a week to tinker around in my Medieval 'hood. And I have started placing your effects in various places throughout!!! I LOVE 'em!!!!!! I especially got a kick out of seeing the smoke spiral from the chimney! Thank you very much, my friend, for another ingenious creation!

Now, on another note. I have noticed that there are several effects that are not height adjustable. If I understand correctly, they are ALL supposed to be, right? So, I took a little time and fiddled around with each one and wrote the names down as follows of those that didn't adjust:
Fire:
- Hearth Fire, Huge Fire, Medium Fire, and Small Fire
Smoke:
- Ashpile Smoke, Black Death Smoke, Chimney Smoke, Lamp Smoke, Light tailpipe Smoke, and White Death Smoke
Stink:
- Food Stink, Trash Can Stink, and Medium Trash Stink

I haven't messed with the 'stuff' yet, so I don''t know about anything there. Now if I'm wrong and these aren't supposed to be adjustable, just bang me over the head and tell me to shut up!!!

Once again, THANK YOU!!! :lovestruc

Whatever you do, do it ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
My mission: To fill the gaps!
Join me on my new Discord channel!
Snag my creations from my LiveJournal!
Theorist
Original Poster
#33 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 2:12 PM Last edited by Sophie-David : 17th Jan 2012 at 2:39 PM.
Hi Jeannie - I really appreciate you taking note of anomalies and letting me know. If someone takes the time to let creators know about problems then they can be fixed.

For better or worse I configured a selection of the objects as floatable and therefore not height-adjustable. As noted in the main post:
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
The catalogue description indicates whether a particular Effect or Junk object is "Sinkable" or "Floatable". The sinkable items may be placed underwater or under the ocean, whereas the floatable ones are designed to rest on the water surface. The sinkable items are also height adjustable if Apartment Life or Mansions & Gardens is installed (because of game engine limitations, floatable objects cannot also be height adjustable). I have tried to select the items so that there is a mix of sinkable versus floatable for each type.

I couldn't resist having some effects floatable because of the look. And for users who do not have Apartment Life or M&G, OMSPs are the only way to approximate that floating look - and it can be very tedious fussing with OMSPs in water.

The mixture of Floatable versus Sinkable/Height Adjustable is bound to be confusing, and may have been a poor design decision. At this point I suspect that some people are depending on the Floatables, so I don't think it would be a good idea to change them. But I may add to the set so that for every item that is floatable there is an identical effect that is height adjustable. I haven't decided on that yet because this project is already so GUID intensive and I only have a limited supply.

(I do wish the GUID database was still functional - relying on random GUID generation is just a recipe for trouble. If I ever get to the point of using up my assigned GUIDs and having to rely on random generation I may just give up on Sims 2 creation. That may just be how the Sims 2 universe actually stagnates and fails, not because of a lack of interested designers, but just for the want of a maintained GUID database Woohoo! An update on this: GUID block assignment is working again after so many months of inoperability. Great thanks to somebody for fixing this! The sky is not falling after all! )

However, there are two things that I will be reconfiguring once I can get back to this set:

1) The whole set was designed to work as OMSPs, which is could be powerful when used with height-adjustability. But when trying to place the effects in combination with a collection of clutter, the fact that they have slots can be really frustrating because the clutter "wants" to keep jumping into the effect. And as OMSPs they are awkward to use becaue the footprint is so small. So I do plan to remove the slots from these objects.

2) Once the effects are placed and you enter run mode the coloured placement tile disappears. When you go back to build/buy mode the tile remains invisible because you can at this point see the effect itself - the smoke for example remains frozen in place. Nonetheless it can be awkward to pick up tile that you actually can't see. Since all the tiles contain an invisible recolour, players who want to maintain a tile free look in build/buy can use that invisible recolour - for picture taking for example. But for those who may want to easily tweak the position of the tile, the tile will automatically reappear (if not recoloured invisible) once you re-enter build/buy.

Cheers - David
Field Researcher
#34 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 9:38 PM
Thanks David! I guess I didn't understand that part about not all of them are adjustable!
Anyway, I really LOVE the effects!!! I keep placing more and more of 'em, and I really enjoy the 'realism' it is bringing to my 'hood!
Thank you once again, my friend!!! <3

Whatever you do, do it ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
My mission: To fill the gaps!
Join me on my new Discord channel!
Snag my creations from my LiveJournal!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#35 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 10:50 PM
These will be great for my derelict building, thanks!
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#36 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 3:03 AM
You're welcome, ktkokaq.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#37 Old 20th Apr 2012 at 1:16 AM
A whole pack of awesomeness. Thanks for this!
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#38 Old 20th Apr 2012 at 4:27 AM
Thank you for the encouragement, billie - I hope you enjoy the set.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#39 Old 24th Apr 2012 at 4:30 PM
Permit me to say...I love you...thankies
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#40 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 12:19 AM
You're welcome!
Test Subject
#41 Old 31st May 2012 at 3:16 PM
Help!
I have Bon Voyage, Night Life, Open For Business, Seasons, and University but I don't have Pets and Bon Voyage came after Pets. What should I download?
Theorist
Original Poster
#42 Old 31st May 2012 at 6:21 PM
All the objects, recolours and effects themselves are basegame compatible.

For the collection files, which are used to organize this set into a collection folder within the game, you do have a choice to make. Since Bon Voyage came after Pets, download sdCollectionPetsAndLater_Apocalyptic.zip.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#43 Old 4th Jun 2012 at 10:24 PM
Hey Sophie-David I'm trying to make my sims game really Apocalyptic and I was wondering could you make a dead corpse mesh so I could lay dead bodies on the roads and stuff? Oh and thanks for the decorative junk!
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#44 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 5:05 AM
I'm afraid I already have too many uncompleted projects to take on another request. However I have seen a Sims 2 corpse, but unfortunately I can't find it right now. Perhaps try the Sims 2 WCIF.
Test Subject
#45 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 2:28 PM Last edited by gregory01 : 5th Jun 2012 at 7:38 PM.
Not a problem dude. Keep it up! PS do you know if there are any mods that make adult sims crawl like a baby? I'm trying to do a Human Centipede (Or Human Simtipede in this case)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#46 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 4:33 AM
I need this so bad thanx
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#47 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 2:27 AM
You're welcome!
Inventor
THANKS POST
#48 Old 12th Dec 2012 at 2:46 AM