Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 10:43 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims moved between neighborhoods
Hi,

Months ago, I moved sims from an old custom neighborhood to Pleasantview by placing them in the family bin. I didn't know at that time that it was very dangerous because of corruption etc. The thing is, when I placed these families, 2 of them had a weird glitch : part of the sims just disappeared when entering the lot, they were shown as still alive, they were in the family tree but they just disappeared. Now they just randomly come sometimes to welcome new sims in the neighborhood.

So, for the first family, I just moved them out and created a brand new family, and for the second one, I kept it that way since it was just a teen and his parents and just both of the parents disappeared. There has never been any problem with other families in the neighborhood so I don't have big problems for now. Although, when I check Pleasantview with the Hoodchecker, the app indicates that there are many "Subject does not exist" about some of the sims that disappeared.

So here's the question : Could I possibly try to narrow the damage using SimPE to delete these sims files?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 1:29 PM
I would never have moved sims that way and would just make the templates in Body Shop and recreate families in the town where I wanted that family or move them to a shopping district or downtown neighborhood attatched to my main town as moving neighborhoods like that is very safe since they're either finding their own place like when a young sim moves out on their own or by evicting a family to move them from their downtown apartment to a house as they start wanting to start a family.
I'd have to start the towns I've been playing over if I'd moved sims the way you did because it often does corrupt things.I often back up my Sims 2 folder and I don't play EA's towns because I prefer to use the terrains and start my own towns.I can't move sims in my BACC to other neighborhoods yet as the town is only starting out and has no shopping district yet.I've only got two couples living ther and another might arrive in the spring.
You moved sims betweeen neighborhoods in a dangerous way while I described one safe way to do it within a community from one district to another in that same town like when my teens will one day move into downtown apartments or a young couple moves to a homestead to get ready for starting a family after renting for years while saving up their moeny.I'm not sure that would work while starting a new game like a BACC in an empty template and just not doing anything like that would work.Pleasnatview is likely fried and was already corrupted out of the box and you just sped up it's destruction with that move.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 1:51 PM
@Sir Kewbic Did you have the hoodchecker fix these problems? There should be an option to do that. backup first!

About what TadOlson says- yes, there are some problems with the Maxis hoods out of the box, and moving sims between neighbourhoods is not ideal. You might have the odd glitch down the line, but you should still be able to have fun with it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 3:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@Sir Kewbic Did you have the hoodchecker fix these problems? There should be an option to do that. backup first!

About what TadOlson says- yes, there are some problems with the Maxis hoods out of the box, and moving sims between neighbourhoods is not ideal. You might have the odd glitch down the line, but you should still be able to have fun with it.

The hoodchecker didn't fix the "Subject does not exist" problem but they're all about one of the two families that glitched. The second one surprisingly doesn't seem to cause any problem. Nonetheless, I have backups of Pleasantview that, I guess, go far enough in time to replace the neighborhood in case of trouble. The thing I just want to know is : Is it safe to delete the glitched sims using SimPE? Will it cause more problems or not?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 3:21 PM
It is possible to do some damage control. If additional Sims (from memories, family trees, etc.) were packaged with your Sims, you can restore the missing parts of their character files with SimPE and then delete all those Sims, if you wish, with Theo's plugin. Getting rid of the packaged lot, or at least cleaning it up, might be a good idea as well.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
It is possible to do some damage control. If additional Sims (from memories, family trees, etc.) were packaged with your Sims, you can restore the missing parts of their character files with SimPE and then delete all those Sims, if you wish, with Theo's plugin. Getting rid of the packaged lot, or at least cleaning it up, might be a good idea as well.

So I could restore the missing parts of the character files of the sims that disappeared? Then, if their character files get restored there's no use to delete them 'right?

If it's possible then how do you do that with SimPE?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 3:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sir Kewbic
So I could restore the missing parts of the character files of the sims that disappeared? Then, if their character files get restored there's no use to delete them 'right?

If it's possible then how do you do that with SimPE?

Restoring the missing parts is meant for Sims that were packaged with the lot to preserve memories & family trees. Those Sims are the riskiest wildcard when moving occupied lots, and they usually show up in SimPE's Sim Browser as No Character File/Unlinked. You can use the Resurrecting Sims with no Character Data tutorial to restore them to a playable state.
Then you can delete all the Sims you moved through the lot bin, using this tutorial. Although they might be ok to play after restoring all the data, deleting them the correct way is probably the best way to proceed, to reduce the risk in the long run.
As for the lot, if you want to keep it, you can use the Lot Cleaner to clean it up. It shows up in Misc/Misc, looks like an orb, and you only have to pick it up in the catalog for it to activate. This should be done on an unoccupied lot.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 10:26 PM
Never move sims between hoods. If you want to keep sims extract them in SimPE then clone them in Bodyshop to clean them. keep the clones toss away the extracted sim. https://pixel-trade.livejournal.com/16091.html

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~