Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Weather Realism Overhaul [2.1.0]

by no12 Posted 24th Nov 2018 at 12:44 AM - Updated 24th Dec 2023 at 6:32 PM by no12 : Fix text on the page

329 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 264 Feedback Posts, 64 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 14
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 30th Nov 2018 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
I'm happy to see that this mod has returned. I always thought it was a great idea. I'm especially happy to see the addition of puddles sticking around longer now. I just have one concern - I have not been able to play much since the first mod came out, but every time I've played the game with the old mod and now replaced with this mod as well the wind always looks like it is in thunderstorm mode. Have I just not played enough or could this be something wrong?

If the current weather section always shows windy weather, then it probably is a problem, as another person in the comments said that they always had blizzards. I don't have this issue however, and it seems to be uncommon so it might be a mod conflict. I would suggest playing for a few more in game days to see if the weather changes.

However if you don't see windy weather in current weather all the time and you are talking about the wind sound and the tree movement, that is completely normal. You will hear the wind sound and the trees will move no matter what (although the strength and the sound volume should change). So if that's your problem it's just because that's the only way I can randomize wind and not tie it to an event.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#27 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 1:22 AM
Excellent mod. thank you!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#28 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 3:25 AM
so i have to ask? vancouver BC, or vancouver wash? lol doesn't really matter as they both rain on average 300 days a year, or used too...as for the forecast occasionally being wrong? hello real world! love it... oh and i grew up in bc, but live by lake huron now and i have seen thundersnow more than a few times it is the weirdest thing to see green lightning.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 4th Jan 2019 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ceyllynn
so i have to ask? vancouver BC, or vancouver wash? lol doesn't really matter as they both rain on average 300 days a year, or used too...as for the forecast occasionally being wrong? hello real world! love it... oh and i grew up in bc, but live by lake huron now and i have seen thundersnow more than a few times it is the weirdest thing to see green lightning.

It's Vancouver BC, and as you said it doesn't really matter but i should probably add that there anyways.
Test Subject
#30 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 6:52 PM
Hi, I'm really enjoying this mod but today I noticed something odd. I'm playing in Willow Creek for the first time since installing the mod, and I saw that the weather is based on Shreveport. I live in Louisiana and actually lived in S'port for 6 years. In my game it's just come around to summer, and for the 3rd day in a row, the weather has been so cool that my sims get the uncomfortable chilled moodlet when they're outdoors. Now I know that Shreveport is in the northern part of the state, but it's not THAT far north! The weather in Shreveport in the summer is hot. Very hot. During the day it will never be so cool that you'll get chilled. I'd like my simmies to be able to go swimming and frolic outside in the summertime! Is there something wrong with my save, or is this intended? Thanks in advance.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by donnabbailey
Hi, I'm really enjoying this mod but today I noticed something odd. I'm playing in Willow Creek for the first time since installing the mod, and I saw that the weather is based on Shreveport. I live in Louisiana and actually lived in S'port for 6 years. In my game it's just come around to summer, and for the 3rd day in a row, the weather has been so cool that my sims get the uncomfortable chilled moodlet when they're outdoors. Now I know that Shreveport is in the northern part of the state, but it's not THAT far north! The weather in Shreveport in the summer is hot. Very hot. During the day it will never be so cool that you'll get chilled. I'd like my simmies to be able to go swimming and frolic outside in the summertime! Is there something wrong with my save, or is this intended? Thanks in advance.

It seems like it's about the save. I tested it for a while and I've never seen a day with cold temperature in summer in Willow Creek, and i'm pretty sure a cold temperature is needed for the chilled moodlet. You could change the season length, apply settings and then change it back to change the forecast, which might solve the issue or if that doesn't work you can check for mod conflicts to see if you have any.
Test Subject
#32 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 8:34 PM
Yeah, it was definitely cold in the weather panel, which did strike me as extremely odd haha. I'll try your suggestion and see if it clears up. Thanks for the reply. And I do love the mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#33 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 7:53 PM
Really liking this mod, thanks for this. Found it quite unrealistic that there was wind only during clear skies and during thunderstorms and blizzards.

On a side note, could you perhaps separate the Warm Weather outfit change (when NPC sims change automatically to Hot Weather outfits in warm temperatures) into a separate .package file as personally, I'd like the mod without the extra tuning. Thanks in advance.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nutfield001
Really liking this mod, thanks for this. Found it quite unrealistic that there was wind only during clear skies and during thunderstorms and blizzards.

On a side note, could you perhaps separate the Warm Weather outfit change (when NPC sims change automatically to Hot Weather outfits in warm temperatures) into a separate .package file as personally, I'd like the mod without the extra tuning. Thanks in advance.

The outfit tuning is in the same place as other important tunings (snowmelt, water ponding etc.) so I'll have to find a way to separate them without complicating the download process, but I guess I could figure out how to do that sometime until the next update.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 26th Jan 2019 at 11:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nutfield001

Hi there !
I'm about to download and try the mod, I'm excited and wanted to check out the comments first. I agree that this outfit tuning is a bit of a bother to me as well. I like that my sims change into hot weather only when it's extremely hot because a lot of townies are just walking around in their swimsuits (by the way if somebody wants to change that, I don't get that a onepiece can be considered a hot weather outfit... Like, it's not Miami, people don't randomly walk around naked just 'cause it's hot lol). Anyways, if you can figure out a way to make that option a separate file it would be wonderful! Otherwise for the moment I'll test it like that and see if it truly bothers me.

I'm excited about the wind being included in all weather types and not being a type of weather in itself! Like, why not have wind on a sunny or partly cloudy day? That and the smooth transition are the two things I can't wait to experience in game, 'cause let's be honest there is no proper transition planned from one season to the next... Apart from a drop or a rise in temperatures 1 or 2 days before switching seasons (which is ludicrous).

Anyways, I'll post a feedback in a few days but I just wanted to point out that a separate file for the hot weather outfit would be great
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 27th Jan 2019 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cinthila
Hi there !
I'm about to download and try the mod, I'm excited and wanted to check out the comments first. I agree that this outfit tuning is a bit of a bother to me as well. I like that my sims change into hot weather only when it's extremely hot because a lot of townies are just walking around in their swimsuits (by the way if somebody wants to change that, I don't get that a onepiece can be considered a hot weather outfit... Like, it's not Miami, people don't randomly walk around naked just 'cause it's hot lol). Anyways, if you can figure out a way to make that option a separate file it would be wonderful! Otherwise for the moment I'll test it like that and see if it truly bothers me.

I'm excited about the wind being included in all weather types and not being a type of weather in itself! Like, why not have wind on a sunny or partly cloudy day? That and the smooth transition are the two things I can't wait to experience in game, 'cause let's be honest there is no proper transition planned from one season to the next... Apart from a drop or a rise in temperatures 1 or 2 days before switching seasons (which is ludicrous).

Anyways, I'll post a feedback in a few days but I just wanted to point out that a separate file for the hot weather outfit would be great

I will definitely be uploading a version without warm as hot weather with the next update. I don’t know when that update will be though, as there seems to be issues with the weather controller that i’ve not spotted yet.

Also about the transitions, what I said was about the weather events and not seasons, however you’re still very likely to see changes about seasons as the mod changes all climates.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 28th Jan 2019 at 10:39 AM
Yeah so far so good! I think I played like 4 sims days and it's winter so mostly snow and wind. So far the changes are not that striking (I also just recently changed the seasons span so I'm not used to winter during 2 weeks...), It's mostly snow everywhere but I do feel like the weather-cast is not as accurate.
Also, at some point it predicted "frogs" (or the french translation of frogs actually - don't know if it's a food related joke lol - so "grenouille"), and I just got confused. Is it a translation issue? Though, I don't see language strings in your mod... Or a glitch? Or just the game? I don't remember seeing frog rains in the weather-cast before (or just happening period), but I know you can look for frogs so did I miss something? Is it an ancient testament reference? What's going on?? lol

I'll come back with a proper feedback once I experience a few seasons and transitions and all the different weathers. Or if I see frogs, just to says daaaaaang it happened ^^
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 29th Jan 2019 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cinthila
Yeah so far so good! I think I played like 4 sims days and it's winter so mostly snow and wind. So far the changes are not that striking (I also just recently changed the seasons span so I'm not used to winter during 2 weeks...), It's mostly snow everywhere but I do feel like the weather-cast is not as accurate.
Also, at some point it predicted "frogs" (or the french translation of frogs actually - don't know if it's a food related joke lol - so "grenouille"), and I just got confused. Is it a translation issue? Though, I don't see language strings in your mod... Or a glitch? Or just the game? I don't remember seeing frog rains in the weather-cast before (or just happening period), but I know you can look for frogs so did I miss something? Is it an ancient testament reference? What's going on?? lol

I'll come back with a proper feedback once I experience a few seasons and transitions and all the different weathers. Or if I see frogs, just to says daaaaaang it happened ^^

The frogs forecast is definitely a translation error (assuming your game is in french), so a question, what was the forecast symbol when it predicted frogs? It's probably a string that had two different meanings in different languages so changing it would probably fix it.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#39 Old 31st Jan 2019 at 11:52 PM
Love the idea! Is there any chance of adding a "Canadian North" type set where it blizzards, heavy snow and things like that for most of the winter? I'd love to have a city that mimicks my home!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 3:09 AM
Strangerville definately needs weather that is in Roswell, NM for the next update
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#41 Old 2nd Mar 2019 at 11:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IAmTheRad
Strangerville definately needs weather that is in Roswell, NM for the next update

Will change the weather in Strangerville in the next couple of days probably and that actually seems like a good idea. So I guess I'll do that.
Test Subject
#42 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 12:57 PM Last edited by invock : 3rd Mar 2019 at 1:15 PM.
I'm sorry to say that I would have loved to test this mod, but it sends my game into an infinite loading screen.
I've tried with ONLY "Weather Overhaul 1.2 - Night Time Update.package" in my mod folder, and it's the definitive culprit .

Yet again, this is certainly due to my save being full of history, tweaking and several layers of mod having affected it throughout the years, so I'm not blaming you at all.
I'm really sorry I can't use it, though... Looks like you've made something very interesting.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#43 Old 4th Mar 2019 at 7:25 AM
I love this mod. It was something I was looking for for a while
Test Subject
#44 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 2:04 AM
I'm another big fan of this overhaul! I think my game is also experiencing the infinite loading screen issue with the mod installed, though. I've tested it both with this mod installed solely and also with all of my other mods & cc added except for this one. It glitched with infinite load anytime this mod was included, unfortunately.

I'll be waiting patiently for any update, though. Thank you for your hard work on it!
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 5:05 PM
Really weird that some people experience infinite loading screens with this mod installed.

I just tested my game (with the latest version of this mod installed) and I have no problems loading into save games and households.
Tested with both; a completely new save game and my already existing save. No issues here.

So that must mean there has to be a conflict with another installed mod or a corrupt save file I guess.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 5:30 PM
I think it's still glitched, but not with Infinite Loading Screens, just with Windy Weather taking Absolute Priority over all weather (including Strange Weather from the Strangerville Pack).

Check out my Patreon, I feature Artwork and Short Stories and Bio's about my own Personal Multiverse, as well as some CC I'll share for early release (nothing major right now though, Mainly just recategorized Maxis Content).

Become a Patron!
Field Researcher
#47 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 1:32 PM
I know this is a bit of a long shot, but is it possible you and flerb could combine your mods regarding lightning (his being the Power Outages mod)? Or you to create your own version of power outages since we are aiming for realism? I'd love to have both in my game.
Test Subject
#48 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
I know this is a bit of a long shot, but is it possible you and flerb could combine your mods regarding lightning (his being the Power Outages mod)? Or you to create your own version of power outages since we are aiming for realism? I'd love to have both in my game.

I would love to see this happen also.
Test Subject
#49 Old 29th Mar 2019 at 8:52 PM Last edited by Eliste : 29th Mar 2019 at 9:04 PM.
Thank you for the mod, I love it.
But, there is some strangeness going on with version 1.3 for Strangeville update.

I've just played through the entire 28 days of spring in Willow Creek with v1.3, and it had been Cold to Freezing throughout. It was also raining every day it wasn't freezing.
Now it is summer in Willow Creek and my sims still need coats.
Before the strangeville update of this mod I didn't notice the weather being so unrealistic.

I have other mods, only one of which has anything to do with the weather.
There is obviously conflicts. Sunny Aspect Lot Trait by Bienchen allows certain lots (i.e. Festival lots and the Bluffs) to have no rain while active sims are visiting, so I had some exceptions popping up when I visited a park with this lot trait in Willow Creek. The transition from rain to sunny weather worked anyway and was rather beautiful (Godrays and mist), temperatures immediately climed up to warm. Return home - freezing again.
I'll try playing without Sunny Aspect today to see if it helps, but I don't think it can affect the weather on home lot without the trait. Can you imagine May Bank Holiday (last day of Spring in my game) not just rainy, but monkey-brass-cold in Shreverport, Louisiana?
I think, something might be wrong with the mod mechanics after Strangeville update.

Nearly forgot to mention: I have custom World Names. My Willow Creek isn't actually called that. Your mod doesn't select the climate based on World Name, does it?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#50 Old 30th Mar 2019 at 7:31 AM Last edited by no12 : 30th Mar 2019 at 10:33 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Eliste
Thank you for the mod, I love it.
But, there is some strangeness going on with version 1.3 for Strangeville update.

I've just played through the entire 28 days of spring in Willow Creek with v1.3, and it had been Cold to Freezing throughout. It was also raining every day it wasn't freezing.
Now it is summer in Willow Creek and my sims still need coats.
Before the strangeville update of this mod I didn't notice the weather being so unrealistic.

I have other mods, only one of which has anything to do with the weather.
There is obviously conflicts. Sunny Aspect Lot Trait by Bienchen allows certain lots (i.e. Festival lots and the Bluffs) to have no rain while active sims are visiting, so I had some exceptions popping up when I visited a park with this lot trait in Willow Creek. The transition from rain to sunny weather worked anyway and was rather beautiful (Godrays and mist), temperatures immediately climed up to warm. Return home - freezing again.
I'll try playing without Sunny Aspect today to see if it helps, but I don't think it can affect the weather on home lot without the trait. Can you imagine May Bank Holiday (last day of Spring in my game) not just rainy, but monkey-brass-cold in Shreverport, Louisiana?
I think, something might be wrong with the mod mechanics after Strangeville update.

Nearly forgot to mention: I have custom World Names. My Willow Creek isn't actually called that. Your mod doesn't select the climate based on World Name, does it?

The mod with the world names should have no problems unless it changes the world names from the game files itself, so that my mod can't find the climate files for a world named something else. The Sunny Aspect mod could be a problem, although i don't know enough about it to say much.
So you probably have conflicts, but just to make sure I tested the weather in Willow Creek, and I couldn't find a problem. In the calendar there was only one day with the freezing sign which means that only one day had a high chance of freezing weather. Then I fastforwarded through the next 5 days to see if any of the events were broken. 3 of them had cool or warm daytime temperatures while the other 2 were cold, and there wasn't any freezing weather. My only advice would be to remove either my mod or at least one of the other two.
Screenshots
Page 2 of 14