|Sims 2 Game Help Categories:|
|MTS's Sims 2 Q&A Help Forums|
List of hobbies
Here is the list of the hobbies your Sim can take on. Most of those hobbies are related to a skill, meaning that having a high level in that skill will cause a Sim to gain interest in that hobby at a faster rate.
- Arts and Crafts (related to Creativity)
- Cuisine (related to Creativity)
- Film and Literature (related to no specific skill)
- Fitness (related to Body)
- Games (related to Logic)
- Music and Dance (related to Creativity)
- Nature (related to Cleaning)
- Science (related to Logic)
- Sports (related to Body)
- Tinkering (related to Mechanical)
One True Hobby
A Sim's One True Hobby is initially determined by their personality, but can be changed using the Insimenator's Interests Adjustor. You will be notified of the Sim's predestined hobby when they try an activity related to it for the first time (they will exclaim that it "was a lot of fun". The interest bar matching the hobby will then have a permanent glow in the hobbies panel. Traits matching a specific hobby are:
- Arts and Crafts: sloppy and nice
- Cuisine: lazy and neat
- Film and Literature: lazy and shy
- Fitness: outgoing and active
- Games: playful and grouchy
- Music and Dance: outgoing and serious
- Nature: sloppy and playful
- Science: serious and neat
- Sports: active and grouchy
- Tinkering: shy and nice
- "Talk about Hobby"
- "Read Section ..." on the newspaper
- "Share Hobby Tips"
- "Browse Web About Hobby"
- "Blog Tips About Hobby"
- "Instruct in Hobby"
- "Be in the Zone"
A Sim that is "in the zone" will glow white and their motives will decay much slower than normal. When a Sim reaches level 5 in a certain hobby, a special NPC matching that interest will appear and give them access to a special, secret hobby lot. They are also likely to recieve a phone call inviting them to subscribe to a hobby magazine.
Arts and Crafts
Sims interested in Arts and Crafts get no special interactions as their interest in the field grows. Now and then, they will frame the world around them with their thumbs and index fingers.
Enthusiasm for Arts and Crafts can be improved by:
- Drawing on the activity table
- Drafting on the Architecture career reward
- Viewing art
- Using the pottery wheel
- Using the toymaking bench (OFB)
- Using the sewing machine
- Using the antique camera (University)
Sims interested in Cuisine can serve chip (level 3), cheese (level 5) and appetiser (level 8) platters after raising their enthusiasm for that hobby high enough. They will rub their stomachs when standing idle.
Enthusiasm for Cuisine can be improved by:
- Cooking and eating
- Watching the cooking channel
- Using the chocolate-making machine (Culinary career reward)
- Studying cooking
- Entering a cooking contest
- Writing a restaurant guide
Film and Literature
Sims interested in Film and Literature can take part to a book club after raising their enthusiasm for that hobby to level 3. They will read while they walk.
Enthusiasm for Film and Literature can be improved by:
- Being read to, as a child, as well as reading stories to a child
- Writing in a diary, or writing novels
- Watching TV or films
- Viewing film and literature-related decor, including film posters and writing supplies
- Taking part to a book club
Sims interested in Fitness can go jogging (alone or in a group at level 3) and prepare protein shakes (level 5) after raising their enthusiasm for that hobby high enough. Now and then, they'll autonomously do stretch exercises.
Enthusiasm for Fitness can be improved by:
- Working out, including by using fitness machines
- Using the playground or jumping rope
- Having protein shakes
- Using the dancing sphere (NL)
- Practicing yoga
Sims interested in Games get no special interactions as their interest in the field grows. Gamers often stretch their wrists.
Enthusiasm for Games can be improved by:
- Playing games, including but not limited to:
- Video games
- Bowling (NL)
- Red hands
- Mah-jong (BV)
- Cards (NL)
- Looking at the bowling rack (NL) or the MySims statue
Music and Dance
Sims interested in Music and Dance get no special interactions as their interest in the field grows. It's not unusual to see them tap their legs while humming.
Enthusiasm for Music and Dance can be improved by:
- Dancing in any way
- Singing nursery rhymes
- Using the baby xylophone
- Listening to music
- Using a musical instrument
- Singing karaoke (NL)
- Freestyling (University)
- Entering a dance contest
Sims interested in Nature can go hiking (level 3) and catch more insect types (level 5, then level 8) than other Sims after raising their enthusiasm for that hobby high enough. They have no specific mannerism.
Enthusiasm for Nature can be improved by:
- Looking at fish
- Catching insects (including fireflies and butterflies (Seasons))
- Gardening, including using the hydroponic garden (Slacker career reward)
- Fishing (Seasons)
- Bird watching
- Building sandcastles (BV)
- Sleeping in tents (BV)
- Looking for seashells (BV)
Sims interested in Science can use the telescope to search for constellations (level 3), planets (level 5) and even UFOs (level 8) after raising their enthusiasm for that hobby high enough. Now and then, they'll pull out a logic puzzle and try to solve it.
Enthusiasm for Science can be improved by:
- Using the toddler shape-sorter toy
- Looking at science-related decorative items
- Stargazing, including by using a telescope
- Using the science and medical career rewards
- Playing with the ant farm
Sims interested in Sports get no special interactions as their interest in the field grows. They pretend to box or to shoot hoops when standing idle.
Enthusiasm for Sports can be improved by:
- Playing sports, including but not limited to:
- Playing football (soccer for Americans)
- Throwing the American football
- Playing basketball
- Playing kicky-bag (University)
- Skating (Seasons)
- Looking at sports-related decorative items
- Watching sports on TV (University)
- Using the punching bag (Athletic career reward)
Sims interested in Tinkering get no special interactions as their interest in the field grows. They have no specific mannerism.
Enthusiasm for Tinkering can be improved by:
- Playing with building blocks on the activity table
- Tinkering with objects (this can increase their value, but won't have any visible consequences on the item's behaviour)
- Studying the Mechanical skill
- Building robots (OFB)
- Working on the restorable car
- Playing with the train set
- Playing with RC vehicles