Mod The Sims

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Site News (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   MTS Movie Night (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=597528)

PharaohHound 15th Jul 2017 7:21 PM

MTS Movie Night

Aloha, MTSers! Grab your surfboards, unfurl your sails, make a bucket of popcorn, and join us for our first ever MTS Movie Night!

This weekend we're hosting a live movie watching party in our Discord text chat server. We're hoping this will be a great chance for everyone to meet new people, get to know our chat system (if it's your first time), and also watch some really fun movies. After much discussion among the staff, we've decided on a Disney Pacific Islands double feature.

The movies

Lilo & Stitch
Before there was Moana, Disney made another Pacific Islands movie! Lilo & Stitch is a fun, quirky romp through Hawai'i which includes such elements as a little girl who's convinced that a sandwich-loving fish named Pudge controls the weather, a blue alien who looks like a demon koala and is determined to destroy everything in his path, a different alien who's convinced that the entire earth is a nature preserve because mosquitoes are an endangered species, and a giant alien space shark who's sent in to clean up the mess caused by the previous two aliens. Beneath all the sillies, it's a story with a lot of heart, about the struggles of growing up "different" and the importance of family, whether it's family you're born with or family you find along the way.

Moana
Need I say more? Just in case you've been evading the illuminati by hiding in a shack in Siberia for the past year or so, Moana is the second Disney Pacific Island movie! It's a classic adventure tale about a quest involving that strange, glowing amulet that your ancestor has had hanging around their neck for the past few decades and maybe someone should do something about that since coincidentally our island also appears to be dying? Hilarious chicken-based humour, a giant bedazzled crab who sings a creepy song while menacing our protagonists, inspiring ghosts, vaguely overprotective parents, this one's got it all for classic Disney lovers!

Where & When

Saturday, July 22nd
Lilo & Stitch 85 minutes long - 6 PM UTC / 8 PM CEST / 2 PM EDT | Time Zone Converter
Moana 107 minutes long - 12 AM UTC (July 23rd) / 2 AM CEST (July 23rd) / 8 PM EDT (July 22nd) | Time Zone Converter

The chatting will take place in our Discord server, which you can join here. On the day of the watch party we will create a "Movie Night" channel dedicated to this event, so make sure to choose it from the Text Channel options.

How it works

First thing's first: Everyone needs to find their own copy of the movies. Due to legal reasons, we cannot offer to stream the movies. We can confirm that both movies are available on Netflix in Canada and the United States, if that helps anyone.

We'll be getting everyone synced up by doing a text countdown in chat. For this reason, please show up at least a few minutes early, to ensure we all start at the same time. If you arrive after we've started, you'll have to figure out the sync for yourself.

Our recruitment drive is still a thing!

It's true! If you haven't had a chance yet and are interested in joining the elite ranks of MTS moderators, wander over to that thread and see if you're qualified. For everyone who has already applied, we'd encourage you to join us for a movie so we can get to know you a bit.

Goldenbtrfly 15th Jul 2017 10:41 PM

OK, not sure if we can post a comment or not, but here goes... *look for hand slappers*

I love this idea! I have often gone to the Discord chat page and even gone partly through logging on, only to chicken out and get the heck out of there. I tend to be so shy in groups and clam up, not knowing what to say, but if I'm watching a movie "separately together" with fellow Simmers, maybe... just maybe I will have something to say! *hopeful* I have seen Moana (love it), but have not seen Lilo & Stitch, so this would be a perfect chance to do so! Thanks for organizing this, it sounds like a lot of fun and I would love to see what kind of wacky chat you all get up to.

mustluvcatz 16th Jul 2017 12:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PharaohHound
Just in case you've been evading the illuminati by hiding in a shack in Siberia for the past year or so..

How did you know where I live??!? (BTW, thanks. Now I'm gonna have to move again...)

Ah, Netflix. Somehow I thought we were going to use some other type of site or app and I was gonna have to say "Nope". But Netflix, that I can do and I *do* like me some movies with my popcorn and I don't think I've got plans for that day, so we'll see!

VerDeTerre 16th Jul 2017 1:05 AM

Oh, wow! I wish I was going to be around (even though it's the internet, I will not be available then). These are two excellent films. I rewatched both of them recently. Enjoy everyone!

Fun fact: Does Stitch remind you of another certain appealing black creature, one with wings, perhaps? It's not by accident. Dean Dublois and Chris Sanders wrote/directed both Lilo and Stitch and How to Train Your Dragon.

zkettell 16th Jul 2017 3:52 AM

This is going to be exciting I can't wait, Thanks MTS for this opportunity!! :D

Johnny_Bravo 16th Jul 2017 8:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
How did you know where I live??!? (BTW, thanks. Now I'm gonna have to move again...)
I thought I was the only one. Which part of Siberia? I've never seen you around.

Hellfrozeover 16th Jul 2017 9:07 PM

I think I'll manage to get on to see Moana, but not Lilo & Stitch I haven't seen Moana yet though :D

mustluvcatz 16th Jul 2017 9:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
I thought I was the only one. Which part of Siberia? I've never seen you around.

Oh. Um. That part over there. *points vaguely North-East and hopes she's still in Siiberia*
And you?

Inge Jones 16th Jul 2017 9:55 PM

Interesting idea!

Johnny_Bravo 16th Jul 2017 10:23 PM

Oh. Um. That part over there. *points vaguely North-East and hopes she's still in Siiberia*
And you?

Uhm..Well it's cold where I am.

VioletPadfoot 17th Jul 2017 7:28 AM

This sounds like a great idea. I'll be there for Lilo and Stitch, but I have to be at work when Moana is playing, so unfortunately I have to skip that. Even if I'd rather watch that one since it's my current favorite movie. Mostly because I love the songs. You know what, I'm going to go be all unproductive and watch that for the millionth time instead of coding a skin for a roleplay board. ~VP

bobgrey1997 17th Jul 2017 9:01 AM

Oh. Um. That part over there. *points vaguely North-East...*

That's my favorite part!

Luckk 17th Jul 2017 4:27 PM

San Diego Comic-Con is going on so I won't be able to join but this seems like it'll be a blast!

mdsb759 17th Jul 2017 9:09 PM

somewhat recently rented Moana through Netflix. now Netflix has a digital version of that movie.
Netflix also has another "Moana"; different setting and not in color.

I own Lilo & Stitch; also some other of those movies.

maybesomethingdunno 17th Jul 2017 11:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
somewhat recently rented Moana through Netflix. now Netflix has a digital version of that movie.
Netflix also has another "Moana"; different setting and not in color.

I own Lilo & Stitch; also some other of those movies.

Yes, that is the 1926 documentary. It is about the Samoan people and is very interesting and beautiful. It's kind of a "day in the life" and not really a story like you would find in a traditional movie. It contains some nudity (think National Geographic, not sexual). So, yeah, it's a different film altogether.

catcher1312a 18th Jul 2017 3:33 AM

Will watching through Netflix vs watching on a DVD mess up the sync a little bit? Pressing play on Netflix vs pressing play on a DVD, I don't remember if one has a different start at the beginning (all those legal warnings). Also, would different countries have different legal warnings playing at slightly different lengths, or are they all the same?

JuanKoss 18th Jul 2017 8:55 AM

I want to watch it now!

Doctor Who_1987 18th Jul 2017 6:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by catcher1312a
Will watching through Netflix vs watching on a DVD mess up the sync a little bit? Pressing play on Netflix vs pressing play on a DVD, I don't remember if one has a different start at the beginning (all those legal warnings). Also, would different countries have different legal warnings playing at slightly different lengths, or are they all the same?

Netflix doesn't have the piracy warnings that a DVD does.

PharaohHound 18th Jul 2017 6:48 PM

@catcher1312a - I'll be asking everyone to queue their movie up starting on the studio logo (I'll send a pic in the chat on the day so everyone can see), which happens after the legal/anti-piracy notices. I believe should get us all close enough.

MeltingMagnetz 19th Jul 2017 1:29 AM

I am going on a vacation on the 21st, but hope you guys have fun

r_deNoube 19th Jul 2017 8:32 AM

Oh. Um. That part over there. *points vaguely North-East and hopes she's still in Siberia*
I believe you're pointing at Canada. (For being Siberia's neighbour to the north, it's a much nicer place than you might suppose.) (Granted, this is July.)

tonicmole 20th Jul 2017 12:40 AM

This will force me to finally watch Moana! I've been wanting to but I never just do it!

Kompaktive 20th Jul 2017 2:50 AM

my parent won't let me sleep late for watching lilo and stitch at midnight 01:00 AM XD

Doctor Who_1987 20th Jul 2017 4:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tonicmole
This will force me to finally watch Moana! I've been wanting to but I never just do it!

You'll enjoy it. It is hilarious on some parts. That's as close as I can get a review without any spoilers.

ZombiexRave 21st Jul 2017 3:48 AM

Omg I just finished my Moana cosplay and now a sims movie night? Yes please <3

Sparklypotato 22nd Jul 2017 4:32 PM

So excited!

mustluvcatz 23rd Jul 2017 7:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
I believe you're pointing at Canada. (For being Siberia's neighbour to the north, it's a much nicer place than you might suppose.) (Granted, this is July.)

Oh. Um. *points vaguely south west and hopes she's anywhere that's not 90+F and 100% humidity*

I wasn't able to make it to either movie. We've got to watch our bandwidth the rest of the month and Netflix isn't kind to bandwidth. I did stop by the chat but had missed Lilo & Stitch. (I figured I could still listen to everyone talk about the movie!) Then I kind of took a nap, that turned into a sleep, and woke up when the other movie would have been almost over. So.. bleh.

Inge Jones 23rd Jul 2017 10:16 AM

How many people made the gathering? Was it worth doing again? I don't really watch movies otherwise I'd have tried to join one of them.

Hellfrozeover 23rd Jul 2017 4:18 PM

I really enjoyed it, thanks for holding the movie night I was away for Lilo & Stitch, but got back in time to watch Fantastic Beasts with the husbandface and then tune in for Moana. I probably wouldn't have watched it otherwise, but it was totally worth it!

drinkmorecocoa 23rd Jul 2017 10:54 PM

I was there for Moana. I enjoyed it. I cried so much.

mustluvcatz 23rd Jul 2017 10:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
How many people made the gathering? Was it worth doing again? I don't really watch movies otherwise I'd have tried to join one of them.

I wasn't actually there but I did pop in the chat last night to see how things had gone and saw a mention of doing it again next month. (The 19th I think? But don't quote me because I could be wrong and even if I'm right things change.)

icemunmun 24th Jul 2017 10:03 AM

I was there for Lilo and Stitch and thoroughly enjoyed it! Couldn't be there for Moana because I fell asleep. Would love if this can become a monthly event!

katlovet10 24th Jul 2017 6:09 PM

I missed both because Mom thought I needed to get out of my comfort zone so she dragged me halfway around the earth on the lousiest vacation ever and I had no internet access and absolutely zero privacy.

Goldenbtrfly 24th Jul 2017 6:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones

Not sure how many people. I'm sorry, I sure didn't pay too much attention to the side bars. It was definitely worth doing again.
Better if you have seen the movies before though, if I'm honest, as the chat does move a bit quickly and can distract a bit from the movie.

porkypine 24th Jul 2017 10:11 PM

Well! I TOTALLY missed this one!... forgot to order the DVDs. Can't stream anything except fish in the boonies....

ekrubynaffit 25th Jul 2017 12:10 PM

awww I missed it!!!!

PharaohHound 25th Jul 2017 3:15 PM

Thanks everyone who made it out! I've set a tentative date of August 19th for the next movie night, since we had a lot of requests to do it again. Stay tuned for a news post with date confirmation and movie choices!