Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 9:46 AM Last edited by Lisen801 : 3rd Oct 2005 at 9:52 AM.
Hello...

It's really easy to build a community lot wher your sims can have an everyday
living if you use the cheat changeLotZoning residential/community.

I have a community lot with a café/shop and a trailer where the sims can
live, make food, sleep (even wohoo) etc...

You can find th lot here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...t=Bagdad+Caf%E9

If you want to build. Start with a residential lot, build and buy all the residential thing, change to community and place all community stuff.
When you rezone to community you get the trashcan and mailbox at the community lot. When community - add a telephonbox and don't forget to place a residential telephone when in the residential mode.

Everything works fine (for me at least). It,s very fun, your sims can meet alot of other sims, you can cook and serve, make friends/lovers etc...
I have build motels, hotels, shops with apartments, etc....

The only drawback I found, so far, is that you can't save!!!!
When you want to quit the game or go to another lot, you must take your sims to another residetial lot (can be an empty residential lot) and save...
That's all. give it a try!

/Lisen
Screenshots
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 3:31 PM
Lisen - how did you manage to get your sim to use the kitchen appliances?'
i tried this for Downtown in NL and did more or less the same method you used for your cafe, but there are no interactions with the fridge other than juggle bottles and the stove has none at all
i have done a small hotel for NL but didn't need to have my sim cook so wasn't a problem there
Any help would be appreciated
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 5:11 PM
Thanks for your helpful reply and cool cafe lot, Lisen!

"The Fantastic Level and the Realistic Level are the two levels upon which we live."

The Night of the Iguana (1964)
Mad Poster
#29 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 6:27 AM
Lisen801,

Can one switch between lot types in game mode? Namely, can you change the lot type to residence while your sims is in th community lot?

Thanks in advance...
Scholar
#30 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 2:49 PM Last edited by anelca : 4th Oct 2005 at 4:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by niol
Lisen801,

Can one switch between lot types in game mode? Namely, can you change the lot type to residence while your sims is in th community lot?

Thanks in advance...

i'm nipping into the game in a sec to test something else out niol. i'll test this out while i'm there if you like
get back to you shortly

edit:
yes you can do this but it seems to make little difference to the game itself. your sims still have to leave when you exit to the neighbourhood or the game. And your sim can't get into his/her own vehicle as it is parked on the road not in a driveway ( i don't believe you can put a driveway on a community lot)
what it does do is enable cookers and stoves to work so your sim can live there indefinitely. as lisen pointed out your sim needs another house to go to.
you are unable to use buy and build modes

when you exit the lot becomes buyable. i haven't got this far in this test so i'm not sure if the build and buy modes become available, whether the community facilities such as the coffee and juice bars work and so forth.

i am actually quite pleased to be testing this because i have a really nice lot i want to upload but couldn't as i thought there would be too many insurmountable problems. in fact they aren't provided people want to go to the trouble of changing lot zoning on entering and leaving the lot

Instructor
#31 Old 10th Oct 2005 at 1:49 AM
Hello...
Sorry for not beeing here answering before, but...
Well yes, this lot works fine for me in NL. I let my sims go often there because I find it amusing. I even replaced the bed in the trailer with Lizzies Lovebed and guesss what...???
My sims can make alot of friends there the only serious thing I miss with NL is that no kids are coming anymore... I miss them! Can someone make a hack maybe?

anelca... my stoves etc works fine...?

niol...
No, I don't think you can rezone when your sims are there. You must go to neighbourhood, open the lot, rezone, go to the neighbourhood, check to see the change (move th cursor over the lot to see the color of the lot) sometimes you must rezone again....

You can place a driveway when in residential mode. I use the invisible one I've downloaded here... Hmm.. search the forum!

/Lisen
Scholar
#32 Old 10th Oct 2005 at 4:31 PM
well i can change the lot rezoning with my sims in it. as i pointed out the cookers and fridges don't work in community zone but do in residential so i changelotzoning when my sims arrive and rezone it to commercial as they are about to leave
works for me anyway

if your stoves work ok then does that mean you are always in residential mode or do you change it as i described i do?as for the driveway hmm...i think i'll be off to experiment again :D
Test Subject
#33 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 4:10 PM
Hi, Nigel_Halfwit. Hemial1964 here.

How exactly does this cheat work that changes a residential lot into a commercial one? I posted this question with the BBS but did not yet receive a reply. I just built an opera but unintentionally marked it residential when naming it. Now I'm pretty mad about it since no-one would like to live in an opera building *lol*

Additionally, I am not really satisfied with how residential objects are to be made available on commercial lots. Is it really necessary to edit each and every object with SimPE in order to make it available on commercial lots? It looks so terribly complicated when viewing it in the tutorial I downloaded recently. :insane:

Greetings. :wave:
Scholar
#34 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hemial1964
Hi, Nigel_Halfwit. Hemial1964 here.

How exactly does this cheat work that changes a residential lot into a commercial one? I posted this question with the BBS but did not yet receive a reply. I just built an opera but unintentionally marked it residential when naming it. Now I'm pretty mad about it since no-one would like to live in an opera building *lol*

Additionally, I am not really satisfied with how residential objects are to be made available on commercial lots. Is it really necessary to edit each and every object with SimPE in order to make it available on commercial lots? It looks so terribly complicated when viewing it in the tutorial I downloaded recently. :insane:

well i may not be N_H but i think i can answer the Q although it has been mentioned a few times already:

while in your lot bring up the cheat box
type in changelotzoning community
exit
your lot will now be a commercial rather than residential lot

if you want residential items, use the cheat to turn it into a residential by typing residential instead of community
buy what you want from residential, change the lot back to community, save and exit. then you can enter your community lot and continue buying, building or play it

there are also collections that other creators have made both here at MTS2 and at www.variousimmers.net which give you the community collections to buy in residential mode and vice versa
if you do a search you should find them

i use a combination of changing the zoning and the collections folders
Test Subject
#35 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 2:56 PM
Thanks a lot, anelca.
I already use the changelotzoning-cheat otherwise, but I heard that residential objects disappear once you've changed the lot into commercial. I'm confused now.

I looked for these packages earlier and didn't find them. I checked every possible search word combination without any result. I will first try the changelotzoning-thing.

Thanks again!

Quote: Originally posted by anelca
well i may not be N_H but i think i can answer the Q although it has been mentioned a few times already:

while in your lot bring up the cheat box
type in changelotzoning community
exit
your lot will now be a commercial rather than residential lot

if you want residential items, use the cheat to turn it into a residential by typing residential instead of community
buy what you want from residential, change the lot back to community, save and exit. then you can enter your community lot and continue buying, building or play it

there are also collections that other creators have made both here at MTS2 and at www.variousimmers.net which give you the community collections to buy in residential mode and vice versa
if you do a search you should find them

i use a combination of changing the zoning and the collections folders
Field Researcher
#36 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 3:00 PM
Does this only work for NL or can I do this for the first Sims 2 as well? Deeme
Scholar
#37 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 5:35 PM
hemial1964
it hasn't been my experience that things disappear. maybe other people have had mods which have conflicted
i have many, many mods but i make sure i always have the latest and compatable versions
if i can find the links to the collections i will edit again

Deeme
i *think* this only works with Uni onwards but you could try it and see if it works for original only
Test Subject
#38 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 11:06 PM
Anelca's right...

90% of the time if an item disapears, it has some sort of a conflict. However, I'd bet that its because a disapearing object wants an Expansion pack that the is not present. From what I've picke up on the boards Hacks causing items to vanish only happens about 25% of the time...
Inventor
#39 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 5:45 AM
Actually, I found that it might be best to start with a residential lot, then change the zoning afterwards. When I built a dorm starting with a community lot, I couldn't switch to live mode.

Hope it helps.
Test Subject
#40 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 8:18 AM
Thanks a lot!! I tried meanwhile and it works fine.

Greetings.

Quote: Originally posted by anelca
hemial1964
it hasn't been my experience that things disappear. maybe other people have had mods which have conflicted
i have many, many mods but i make sure i always have the latest and compatable versions
if i can find the links to the collections i will edit again

Deeme
i *think* this only works with Uni onwards but you could try it and see if it works for original only
Scholar
#41 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 9:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Reyn
Actually, I found that it might be best to start with a residential lot, then change the zoning afterwards. When I built a dorm starting with a community lot, I couldn't switch to live mode.

Hope it helps.

hmm thats interesting. i have never really tried it with a dorm, ony NL and neighbourhood community/residential. i have rezoned a university lot but can't remember now what i was rezoning to what, probably a residential to dorm, which worked fine. oh yes, i remember now, so did greek house to residential, and dorm to residential.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 12:02 AM
Nigel, if you haven't already got it worked out (this doesn't look like too new a thread), I'm planning on using the customer generator (from simological) to accomplish pretty much what you're looking for (rather than a hack that allows you to live on the community lot, it's a hack that makes sims visit a residential one). I actually prefer to leave the lot residential so I can save. I think JadeElliot is doing this on her really awesome downtown lots and it seems to be working fine (threads and discussion on moreawesomethanyou.com and others with more screenies here).

Also I believe you can type the lotzoning cheat in while you're in the lot, but it doesn't take effect until you exit and reenter. So (for example) I'm building a community lot and want to use residential items - I type the cheat, but the community items are still the only ones that come up. When I exit and reenter the lot (getting the message that it's now "buyable") the menu's are for residential lots and I can buy what I want.

I'm not sure about actually using a community item (even tho it placed) on a lot that has been rezoned residential. For example, if I place a restaurant podium thing, then rezone the lot to residential, exit and reenter - will the waiters and all generate and can sims be seated? (without a community to residential hack, I mean). Anyone know?

Assuming I need hacks can someone provide the link to the biggest community objects useable residentially package available - preferrably with NightLife items like the podium

TIA!

Quote:
You can be me when I'm gone...
Instructor
#43 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 12:38 AM
If you build the bottom part of the lot so that the stores open out to the street without a door, the neighbors will just wander inside- I had that happen to me with a treehouse (without a door, passerby just wander around the home), but I think it could work to your advantage here.

I think you should definately go with the hacked objects at Simlogical- they are really great.

We love you Inge!

And what is the cheat to re-zone a lot anyway? I've never heard of it before, did it come with Uni and nightlife?
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 12:54 AM
Yes, I believe it came with Uni (could have been NL tho - I have both). It's listed above - changeLotZoning [residential, community, dorm, secretsociety]. I'm mostly building with the lots zoned as community (unless I need residential items, but so far most of what I need is available) and intend to change them to residential when it's all done (big project) and move shopkeepers in.

Quote:
You can be me when I'm gone...
Mad Poster
#45 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 8:15 AM
It's started with EP1 UNI.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 25th Nov 2005 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Galland
Hmm, I am not sure if its possible or not, but you could allways check the Hotel Collection (its called something like that). I know they have discussed this earlier somewhere. If you find out, please post your results/findings! :-)

Can you link to it? I may be able to make a mesh for all of you, and No, sorry, nightlife does not allow you to live there. Sorta like Hot Date in the sims 1.
Sorry.

(()) www.sim2central.moonfruit.com
//\\ Where Sims Are Sims!!
Scholar
#47 Old 25th Nov 2005 at 10:55 AM
sagana .... if you place a podium, a table and a community cook stove, all will work the same as it does in community lots
you can get the residential to community and vice versa collections at variousimmers

i uploaded one of the first NL hotels on this site using a combination of residential and communtiy items to make it work. your sim can live happily on it provided you don't ever want to use the car, go to school or in fact save. your sims need to have another home to go to
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 3:38 PM
It's funny how this thread has has taken on a life of it's own. I wish that my lot upload threads would have been be so popular!

"The Fantastic Level and the Realistic Level are the two levels upon which we live."

The Night of the Iguana (1964)
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 2 of 2