Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#26 Old 24th May 2005 at 1:55 AM Last edited by pinhead : 24th May 2005 at 2:07 AM.
Hi RGiles! :D
Yep!
For example: After the hair group the first layer set will be "alpha3" (with texture set inside) and "alpha5"(with texture set outside)
The alpha 3 use a value (0x00000003) for opacity and alpha 5 is 0x00000005. If exist another layer set that cover the alpha3 and alpha5 group, will use other value higher that both (alpha3 and alpha5) groups for the group that has the texture outside but have to use a low number for the layer that has the texture inside.So, you will need to change the alpha3 and alpha5 to be higher value that the next layer with textures inside... complicating to explain better. The external groups will use 00000003 for inside texture and 0x00000009 for outside. and the alpha3 will be changed to 0x00000005 and alpha5 to 0x00000007.

weird isn't?
Advertisement
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#27 Old 24th May 2005 at 2:14 AM
Well hey, at least it is a consistent pattern. And it is based on something simple that we can count. Thank you for the explanation.
Instructor
#28 Old 25th May 2005 at 12:20 AM
When i was thinking that what i said is a rule i found something different.
I think that the best option to use what i describe in last post (#26) is only when you create more layers and, after change the opacity correctly, is still with the edges transparent. Then you need to change like i said.

Now i have a suspecious in Normals of the layers and since we can't change the normals that solution do the trick. I tried change values at MATD but still don't fix that, so is probably that is related to other thing.

Janna told me about one mesh that she edited and the maxis original has layers. All layers are placed merged in the same group. Maybe the normals eliminate the necessity of change the opacity for the hair levels. But i don't understand too much about "Normals" thing and maybe i'm wrong.
Alchemist
#29 Old 27th May 2005 at 4:46 AM
It is easy to change the Opacity in SimPE.
The MilkShape plugins, however, always set the opacity to 0xFFFFFFFF for all the groups, since there is no place in MilkShape to specify this value (and it isn't really related to the 3D mesh, but rather to the way the mesh is textured). Why Maxis placed it with the 3D mesh data is a mystery.
Hair meshes, glass and shadows usually use values other than 0xFFFFFFFF (usually low values like 0x00000001 to 0x0000000F). Ordinary objects and bodies/clothing all seem to use 0xFFFFFFFF.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Scholar
#30 Old 27th May 2005 at 11:21 PM
I wanted to post this picture, to show what I mean by the transparent edges.

You can see completely through the hair below all the way to the background, although when I turn the Sim's head there is actually hair beneath these places.

This is how the layering problem will look on better graphics cards.

You may say I'm being too picky, that no one would ever notice this in the game - and you're right they won't if they have a medium-to-good quality video card, but this is the same mesh as in the first post.

So if you see these edges on a new mesh you have created, it is important to fix it by Pinhead's method or people with not so good video cards will have the problem shown in the first post.
Screenshots
Instructor
#31 Old 28th May 2005 at 1:29 AM
Hi Dr. Pixel!

My problems with hairs made by wes plugin are like your screenshot and after i made those changes in opacity all were removed.

Yes! if you use Wes Plugin to create a hair will be important to change the opacity value at GMDC after done it. You can use the default maxis values of the original mesh.

If you create more layers that will be different and have to use what i described in post #26.
But is good to fix the values like maxis default first and look inside bodyshop to make sure that (like your screenshot) is not with transparent edges. If still persist (caused by adding layers) you can look at post #26 to eliminate all transparent edges.
Test Subject
#32 Old 21st Jun 2005 at 3:57 PM
Default Waaaheeeyyyy!!!!
WOW! Thank you SOOO MUCH Pinhead! Look at the difference it makes! How cool is that! Now I'm all motivated to mesh hair again! Thank you very very very much!!!!!!!!!
Screenshots

"Bad girls get fur and diamonds, good girls get a ride home."
Inventor
#33 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Big Bad Shar
WOW! Thank you SOOO MUCH Pinhead! Look at the difference it makes! How cool is that! Now I'm all motivated to mesh hair again! Thank you very very very much!!!!!!!!!

Anyone that helps keep Big Bad Shar motivated in creating her lovely hair meshes deserves a big THANK YOU from me too.

*♥.¸Here we go again .♥*
Mad Poster
#34 Old 26th Jul 2005 at 6:26 AM
Maybe, some "transparent" hairs can be cool, too.

Wow, I just learnt this potential.
Test Subject
#35 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 10:49 PM
is there someway someone could make a hack or a program that would go in and fix all the hair meshes opacity? i have soooo many meshes with transparency problems, i used to fix them myself but since not many creators fix their meshes ive download a ton of them, and i just wouldnt have the time or patience to fix every single one
Alchemist
#36 Old 6th Jan 2006 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pinhead
it's not so easy to understand to people that don't know how to deal with hexadecimal numbers.
if was so easy to correct, the solution was here. I meant, i will try post how to fix, but if you don't know how to do it, please, wait the creator fix that.

The hair group will always have the opacity 0xFFFFFFFF

My next version of the plugins will allow the opacity to be set in the mesh comments.
So far, I hadn't given the Hex number issue any thought there (just signed decimal, and -1 is 0xFFFFFFFF in Hex).

Those noises are gears grinding in my head.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Page 2 of 2